Arthur Ochs (Punch) Sulzberger, former NY Times publisher, dead at 86.
Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, known to his colleagues as “Punch“, the fourth publisher of the New York Times, is famous for his decision to publish the Pentagon Papers and to promote a radical redesign that set a new standard for newspapers in the last quarter of the 20th century, has died at age 86, after a long illness.
Sulzberger was publisher of the Times from 1963 to 1992 and chairman and chief executive of the parent company from 1973 to 1997. These titles were passed on to his son, Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Jr., the fourth generation of his family to head the paper.
Publishing the Pentagon Papers were the defining moment of three decades of transformation at the Times under Sulzberger. He also automated the Times’ production, unified the Sunday and daily news operations under one editor and divided the paper into four brightly written sections.
Hampered by dyslexia, he was an indifferent student who daydreamed in class. His grades were so poor that he repeated the first year of high school. In 1943, the 17-year-old joined the Marines. His desire to prove himself on the battlefield was thwarted by his father, who arranged a transfer to Gen. Douglas MacArthur‘s staff as driver and jack of all trades. After World War II, Sulzberger earned a degree at Columbia University in 1951. He served in the Korean War as a public information officer.
- Ex-NY Times publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger dies (thestar.com)
- Ex-NY Times publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger dies (newsobserver.com)
- Ex-NY Times publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger dies (wtvm.com)
- Arthur O. Sulzberger Dead: Former New York Times Publisher Dies At 86 (huffingtonpost.com)
- Former New York Times Publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger Dead At 86 (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Ex-NY Times publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger dies (miamiherald.com)
- Former NY Times publisher Arthur Sulzberger dies at 86 (mercurynews.com)
- Ex-NY Times publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger dies (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- Ex-NY Times publisher Arthur Ochs Sulzberger dies (thenewstribune.com)
Posted on September 29, 2012, in Announcement, Business, Corporations, creativity, Education, Family, history, News, Obits, Opinion, Press, War, Word from Bill and tagged Arthur Ochs Sulzberger, Douglas MacArthur, New York Times, Pentagon Papers, Punch, Sulzberger, Times, World War II. Bookmark the permalink. Comments Off on Arthur Ochs (Punch) Sulzberger, former NY Times publisher, dead at 86..