Daily Archives: September 27, 2012
Mother Jones has obtained a video from 1985 in which Romney, describing Bain’s formation, showed how he viewed the firm’s mission. He explained that its goal was to identify potential and hidden value in companies, buy significant stakes in these businesses, and then “harvest them at a significant profit” within five to eight years.
The video was included in a CD-ROM created in 1998 to mark the 25th anniversary of Bain & Company, the consulting firm that gave birth to Bain Capital. Here is the full clip, as it appeared on that CD-ROM (the editing occurred within the original).
Anyone who has ever seen any of “The Pink Panther” films or “Spartacus” or “The Lady Killers” has seen the wonderful work of Herbert Lom. The Czech-born character actor died Thursday at his home in London at the age of 95. Lom is perhaps best known for his appearances in Blake Edwards’ “Pink Panther” series as the perennially agitated boss of Peter Sellers’ bumbling Inspector Clouseau. But he moved between dramaand comedy with ease.
Lom appeared in more than 100 films, playing a wide variety of roles that covered horror, historical dramas and comedies. He appeared with Sellers in 1955’s “The Ladykillers” ahead of their work together on the “Pink Panther” films. He also did Television character parts in shows like Hawaii Five-0, The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and The Detectives, among others.
Lom also wrote two novels, “Enter a Spy: The Double Life of Christopher Marlowe” and “Dr. Guillotin: The Eccentric Exploits of an Early Scientist.”
- ‘Pink Panther’ actor Herbert Lom dead at 95 (kansas.com)
- Pink Panther actor Herbert Lom has died (metronews.ca)
- Herbert Lom, harassed inspector in Pink Panther films, dies at 95 (thestar.com)
- Clouseau finally safe; Chief Inspector Dreyfus (Herbert Lom) takes on his final assignment (timesunion.com)
- Veteran Czech-born actor Herbert Lom, famous for roles in the Pink Panther films, dies at age of 95 – @BBCBreaking (bbc.co.uk)
- ‘Pink Panther’ actor Herbert Lom dead at 95 (seattletimes.com)
Mitt Romney seems to have been an ineffective Governor.
“It was almost like there was a moat system around the Romney castle. He had aides walking around with fake ear pieces in their ear, pretending that they were secret service agents. He put up a velvet rope in front of the office, made sure no one had access to the governor’s office whatsoever.”
So what kind of president would he make? At least he’d get real Secret Service agents which we would pay for.
- Romney’s Latest Reboot is to Pretend He’s Barack Obama (politicususa.com)
- MA Lawmakers Dish on Romney: ‘The Man Did. Not. Care.’ (crooksandliars.com)
- Mitt Romney then and now (ask.metafilter.com)
- MA Gov. Deval Patrick’s Rousing DNC Speech Slams Romney’s Record As Governor (mediaite.com)
Here is why we have to keep Romney and his buddies away from controlling America:
So liberals are Nazis and are going to gas Christians like Nazis did Jews in WWII era. Also, I don’t think Christians in America are a minority… hopefully only the ones who share Pat Robertson‘s obscene attack. And Robertson sees Romney as his buddy.
- Romney campaigner Pat Robertson tells man to beat his wife (americablog.com)
- Pat Robertson to humiliated hubby: ‘Well, you could become a Muslim and you could beat her’ (rawstory.com)
- Jews Must Be Converted | American Right Wing Nuts’ Hates Fest (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- FRCWC Says Shame on You Pat Robertson (peacemattershere.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney’s new economic message: Keep the word ‘God’ on coins (dailykos.com)
- Romney/Ryan 2012: Pallin’ around with terrorists (dailykos.com)
Romney is flip-flopping again.
His campaign is moving in a new direction on healthcare. Mitt Romney praised the health care law he signed as governor of Massachusetts – the model for Obama’s health plan. This has drawn swift and strong rebuke from .
In an interview with NBC News, Romney said:
“I got everybody in my state insured. One hundred percent of the kids in our state had health insurance. I don’t think there’s anything that shows more empathy and care about the people of this country than that kind of record.”
Of course Romney has attacked President Obama’s similar law, which extends insurance coverage to millions of uninsured people across the country – especially kids. Romney says he will repeal Obama’s law lock, stock and barrel, and replace it with vaguer reforms that would potentially leave more people uninsured by removing the ban on preexisting condition discrimination.
Democrats love it when Romney talks about Romneycare, using it to paint him as a hypocrite on health care reform. Conservatives, on the other hand, hate it. When a Romney staffer spoke positively about Romney’s health care law last month, conservative commentators said it “just might be the moment Romney lost the election.”
- Whatcha Talking About Willard? Massachusetts health care law is proof of empathy? Isnt that what You are Running Against Obama? This is getting Insane…Risking Conservative Ire, Romney Touts Romneycare. (sunsetdaily.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney Gives His Strongest Embrace Yet Of Romneycare, Which Could Ignite Conservative Fury (businessinsider.com)
- Mitt Cites Romneycare as Evidence of His ‘Empathy,’ Steps Up Obamacare Attack (nymag.com)
- Facepalm: Romney says Romneycare demonstrates his ’empathy and care’ (twitchy.com)
- And Mitt Romney Reverses Field Once Again on Health Care Reform… (delong.typepad.com)
- The New Romney Health Plan for the Poor… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Romney’s Advice To The Uninsured: Go To The ER (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- To show empathy for the middle class, Mitt Romney touts his socialist health care law (freakoutnation.com)