Daily Archives: September 5, 2012
The new exhibits highlight the impact of the battle on the nation that occurred 150 years ago… and the families that lived on the battlefield. The exhibit includes wartifacts and photographs of veterans returning for reunions and the creation of the park by the U.S. War Department.
“Sharpsburg was a farming community for one hundred years before the battle was fought. Now we are able to tell a broader story through the artifacts and images of those who lived here. We are extremely pleased to have our new exhibit opening just in time for the 150th Commemoration.”
Some of the artifacts that highlight the new exhibit include a gold watch owned by the Mumma family whose farm was destroyed in the battle; furniture from the Roulette farm; a hand carved headstone that marked a soldiers grave just after the battle; and numerous reunion medals and ribbons.
For more information call 301-432-5124.
- Antietam National Battlefield Park Gears Up To Commemorate Civil War’s Bloodiest Day (gadling.com)
- Remembering Battle of Antietam in 1937 (times-news.com)
- “Gods and Generals” Related Magazine Available For Sale in Antietam Visitor’s Center (gcaggiano.wordpress.com)
- Dawn at Antietam, 1862 (rendezvouswithrenee.com)
Romney should have his people check out the people he talks with…but here in New Hampshire he finds a man who fought for his country in Viet Nam, who wants marriage equality between men and men and who finally admits he is gay and loves a man.
Why should any person be able to decide what someone else does with their lives? Why should Romney be able to make that decision for them? The result… these laws give Romney and the Republicans that kind of power.
Fact is, this was picked up by the news media and makes Romney look really uncaring:
Here’s someone who will effect the votes of others and there’s Romney… a fool.
- Obama vs. Romney 101: 4 ways they differ on gay issues (csmonitor.com)
- Pro-Romney Super PAC Attacks Obama For Supporting Marriage Equality (thinkprogress.org)
- David Koch Backs Gay Marriage (drudge.com)
- Mitt Romney Supports Gay Boy Scouts But Not Gay Marriage? (perezhilton.com)
- Dumbest PAC Ad (So Far) (ken_ashford.typepad.com)
- Here’s A Terrible Anti-Obama Ad Against Gay Marriage (thegloss.com)
- Pro-Romney Super PAC Attacks Obama For Supporting Marriage Equality (occupytvstations.com)
His speech was fun, but not carried on all the networks… so here it is:
- Video: Kal Penn pokes fun at Clint Eastwood’s RNC speech (cbsnews.com)
- Kal Penn Speaks To Democrats Tonight (m.deadline.com)
- Kal Penn Cuts Up (news.yahoo.com)
- Actor Kal Penn Says His Buddy Kevin and His Boyfriend Are His Inspiration (advocate.com)
- Kal Penn – Kal Penn Leads Celebrity Political Panel At Democrat National Convention (contactmusic.com)
Lihn is mother to little Zoe Lihn, a child born with a congenital heart defect, who already has needed three open-heart surgeries which would, in all likelihood, push her close to, or past, her insurance company’s lifetime coverage limit. Lihn told the crowd that President Obama‘s health care reform law “is saving my daughter’s life,” and made it clear that if Mitt Romney is elected, and makes good on his promise to repeal Obamacare, the consequences for Zoe would be disastrous.
“Governor Romney says people like me were most excited about President Obama the day we voted for him. But that’s not true. Not even close. For me, there was the day the Affordable Care Act passed, and I no longer had to worry about getting Zoe the care she needed. There was a day the letter arrived from the insurance company saying our daughter’s lifetime cap had been lifted. There was the day the Supreme Court upheld Obamacare… And like so many moms with sick kids, I shed tears.”
Lihn went on to outline what Zoe’s future would be after the election of a Romney/Ryan ticket:
“If Mitt Romney becomes president, and Obamacare is repealed, there’s a good chance she’ll hit her lifetime cap. There’s no way we could afford to pay for all of the care she needs to survive. When you have a sick child, it’s always in the back of your mind and sometimes, in the front of your mind. On top of that, worrying that people would let an insurance company take away her health care just because of politics? One in one 100 children are born with a congenital heart defect. President Obama is fighting for them. He’s fighting for families like mine, and we need to fight for him.”
The audience’s response to Lihn and her family, who appeared next to her on the podium, was highly emotional and supportive. Certainly, this was a speech that everyone would remember when they think of Obamacare… I know I will.
Conventions are a lot like commercials for political positions and and, like commercials, help the voter determine which brand to buy. The big difference between Republicans and Democrats on this issue is that people will remember the major positions: The Republicans will dismantle Obamacare and cut Medicare and Medicaid using the money to afford tax cuts for the rich. The Democrats made it clear that if Republicans are elected a little girl will die.
How the Republicans deal with the actual results of their campaign goals can easily affect voters. There is no way they can make their cuts sound beneficial to sick children.
- DNC Speaker Stacy Lihn: Obamacare ‘Is Saving My Daughter’s Life’ (mediaite.com)
- Mother Stacey Lihn praises Obamacare for saving her daughter’s life (guardian.co.uk)
- Dems wear ‘Obamacare’ label proudly (politico.com)
- Five key moments from Tuesday night at the Democratic National Convention (pennlive.com)