David Barton, is a Republican Party activist, pentecostal preacher and fast-talking, self-promoting, self-taught, self-proclaimed historian who is miseducating millions of Americans about U.S. history and the Constitution.
Barton has been profitably peddling a distorted “Christian nation” version of American history to conservative religious audiences for the past two decades. His books and videos denouncing church-state separation have been repeatedly debunked by respected historians, but that hasn’t kept Barton from becoming a folk hero for many in the Religious Right. His eagerness to help elect Republicans has won him gratitude and support from national as well as state and local GOP leaders. Former senator Sam Brownback, now the governor of Kansas, has said that Barton’s research
“provides the philosophical underpinning for a lot of the Republican effort in the country today – bringing God back into the public square.”
David Barton seems to have discovered the scientific principle of testing your theories. He has actually developed a thesis and he says he could go a lot of places with it. I’m sure you can imagine most of those places he is going.
Here, see what you think about Barton’s new thesis:
Wouldn’t it be interesting to do a study between those that are on welfare and see how much and how often they read the Bible. You know, if Booker T. Washington is right that Christianity and reading the Bible increases your desires and therefore your ability for hard work; if we take that as an axiom, does that mean that the people who are getting government assistance spend nearly no time in the Bible, therefore have no desire, and therefore no ability for hard work? I could go a lot of places with this. I would love to see this proven out in some kind of sociological study, but it makes perfect sense
So you welfare collectors would all be successful workers if you only read the Bible! I bet folks like me who get Social Security (for which we worked our whole careers contributing to) but don’t read the Bible are on the same social bottom.
Think about how much more successful a Mitt Romney is, since he has The Book Of Mormon as well as the Bible.
- The Tendentious David Barton (scottpaeth.typepad.com)
- Conservative Preacher Says People Are On Welfare Because They Don’t Read The Bible (alan.com)
- Why the Man Who Wrote ‘The Jefferson Lies’ Is A Right-Wing Liar Who’s Enabled By The Media (crooksandliars.com)
- David Barton’s version of ‘verbatim’ (maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com)
- David Barton Lies Shamelessly on the Daily Show (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- David Barton’s Jefferson — Sightings (Martin Marty) (bobcornwall.com)
- Taking a look at “The Jefferson Lies” (viewfrommiddleclass.wordpress.com)
North Carolina Pastor: Pen In ‘All The Lesbians And Queers’ With An Electrified Fence, Wait For Them To ‘Die Out’
North Carolinians voted to alter the state’s constitution to ban same-sex marriage… why? They were largely moved by fear-tactics fueled by far right religious groups bent on punishing lesbians and gay men. The vote also makes North Carolina, as The New York Times notes, the last state in the South to marginalize gay people with a constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.
“I figured a way out — a way to get rid of all the lesbians and queers. But I couldn’t get it passed through Congress. Build a great big large fence, 150 or 100 miles long. Put all the lesbians in there. Fly over and drop some food. Do the same thing with the queers and the homosexuals. Have that fence electrified so they can’t get out. Feed ‘em, and– And you know what? In a few years they’ll die out. You know why? They can’t reproduce.”
Don’t you just admire the logic of that? You KNOW the Bible‘s “agin’ it”… here’s Worley’s speech:
Victoria Lamb Hatch, who I have quoted in this blog before, made a fine summary statement on Worley’s little diatribe:
Does this mentally arthritic idiot know that the vast majority of gay people are born to straight people? Does he know that penning up gay people and waiting for them to die out won’t solve his “problem” because straight people will just continue birthing gay babies? Does he know that anyone who “can’t reproduce” would die out anyway, penned up or not?
Does he know that he’s a hateful, evil person who isn’t earning God‘s favor with comments like these?
I guess Victoria doesn’t realize it, but torturing the gay/lesbian community is where all the FUN is. Right?
- North Carolina Pastor: Trap Gays and Lesbians Behind Electrified Fences (theatlanticwire.com)
- North Carolina Pastor: Pen In ‘All The Lesbians And Queers’ With An Electrified Fence, Wait For Them To ‘Die Out’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Pastor Worley has plan to get rid of ‘lesbians and queers’ (piedtype.com)
- Pastor: Let’s Put ‘Queers’ in Pens Until They Die (ktrh.com)
- American Taliban: Pastor Worley and How To Solve The “Homosexual Problem” (jonathanturley.org)
- Hating For Jesus: NC Pastor Charles Worley (scotteriology.wordpress.com)
- NC Pastor Wants To Build Electrified Fence To Contain, Starve And Ultimately Kill Gays: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Pastor Who Called For Gays And Lesbians To Be Put In Electrified Pen And Killed Off Faces Backlash (huffingtonpost.com)
- Outrage Brews Over Pastor’s Sermon on Homosexuals and Electrified Fences (fox8.com)
- HATE SPEECH: North Carolina Pastor Offers Final Solution to Homosexual Problem: Electrified Concentration Camps (alexprocesso.wordpress.com)
Former navy Chaplain Gordon Klingenschmitt, founder of the lobbying group Pray In Jesus Name Project, appeared on a progressive talk show (The David Pakman Show) this week to criticize President Barack Obama’s endorsement of same sex marriage. He ended up promoting his theory that gay people unknowingly secrete invisible, evil creatures which find and possess certain animals, turning them gay as well:
“It is entirely possible — we know from the Bible, for example, when Jesus cast the devil out of Legion, he went into a herd of pigs. So, it is possible for demons or the devil to inhabit or invade animals just the same way they invade humans, and that causes the sin of lust.”
So, if you’ve been wondering what causes gay pigs, here is the answer from a guy who thinks the LGBT community has an agenda” to “repopulate their population by recruiting the children of heterosexuals.” And animals, too.
Klingenschmitt thinks everyone is borne heterosexual, but is converted to homosexuality mostly by gay television programming. So I think we can solve the pigs problem by just turning off the TVs in the sty.
What? They don’t have television in the sty?
“Ken Ham is currently hawking his new book, Already Compromised, in which he whines about the way universities — even many bible colleges — don’t take the Old Testament absolutely literally. This leads, of course, to students actually examining evidence and arguments outside the Bible, which inevitably leads to…atheism.”
– P J Myers in Pharyngula
Here’s one of Ken Ham’s dribblets:
In Genesis 6:19-20, the Bible says that two of every sort of land vertebrate (seven of the “clean” animals) were brought by God to the Ark. Therefore, dinosaurs (land vertebrates) were represented on the Ark.
Gee… where did they go?
- High School Atheists Answer Questions on Reddit (friendlyatheist.com)
- The Atheist Ten Commandments (sydiot.com)
- The Argument of Assertion (choiceindying.com)
Of courser, it beats spending money on Education…
Thanks to PZ Myers at Pharyngula:
Those Kentukyans just stuck us with Rand Paul, too. How they spend their tax money is their business. Hope to hell it’s not Federal Tax Money, because that means some of it is mine.
- KENTUCKY: Creation Museum To Build “Full-Scale Replica” Of Noah’s Ark (joemygod.blogspot.com)
- Sen. Mitch McConnell’s earmark power credited for revitalizing Louisville – Washington Post (news.google.com)
- Kentucky to Build Greatest Religious Amusement Park Ever [Religion] (gawker.com)
Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.), who will seek the Energy and Commerce Committee chairmanship maintains that we do not have to worry about climate change because God promised in the Bible not to destroy the world again after Noah’s flood.
The video I posted got pulled by YouTube as ‘spam’, which it isn’t, so I presume Google was successfully trolled; but I found another one; unfortunately it has added expletive subtitles for which I apologize.
About half the newly elected Congressmen are climate deniers (and if past experience is any guide, about a third of them are criminals).
You know how climate change deniers are always saying that in past geological ages carbon dioxide reached 1000 parts per million or more in the atmosphere, with no dramatic effect on the world’s temperatures? Yeah, just an increase of 2.5 to 5 degrees.
I know we’ll be much more secure knowing that God will protect us from Global Warming (I wonder if God was trying to protect the Dinosaurs… just like I wonder how Jonah survived being dissolved by stomach acid in the Whale’s digestive tract.) How did America vote these idiots into power?
I am so happy that we have Juan Cole to keep our focus on what’s happening here… he is a major star in the blogosphere.
- Do you feel safer now? (scienceblogs.com)
- Aghast [Thoughts from Kansas] (scienceblogs.com)
- Shimkus Formally Announced Bid For House Commerce (techdailydose.nationaljournal.com)
- GOP climate deniers vie to run House Energy Committee (grist.org)
- Committee Races, By the Numbers (blogs.wsj.com)
- Now the fun starts… Republican House Members who will try to kill Climate Change legislation… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)