Alabama state senator Scott Beason (R), who sponsored the state’s tough new immigration law, has been caught on tape referring to black customers of a casino as “aborigines.” Beason made the offensive comparison while wearing audio recording equipment for the FBI as part of an investigation into a group of people accused of buying and selling pro-gambling votes in the legislature.
Beason is caught in one transcript making this statement in conversation with another Republican, according to the AP:
Beason and two other Republican legislators were talking about economic development in predominantly black Greene County and the customers at one of the county’s largest employers, the Greenetrack casino in Eutaw.
“That’s y’all’s Indians,” one Republican said.
“They’re aborigines, but they’re not Indians,” Beason replied.
Questioned in Federal Court as to the subject of their conversation, Beason said they were concerned that a large black turnout would hurt Republican candidates. As to the “aborigine” comment Beason explained: “I don’t know what I meant at the time… I don’t use that term normally. I don’t know where it even came from that day.”
Uh huh. You betcha.
Think Progress goes on to say:
Back in February, Beason warned Republicans that immigration will “destroy a community” and advised his colleagues to “empty the clip and do what has to be done.” Beason later insisted that his comments were taken out of context and that he was using an analogy, not urging violence. He has also been leading the charge to redraw district lines in a way that would significantly dilute the power of black voters.
You make your own decision on the “context” of his statements.
- Ala senator slammed for taped ‘aborigines’ comment (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Worse than Arizona? Alabama’s new anti-immigration law (shortformblog.tumblr.com)
- GadsdenTimes.com Headlines: Senator who wore wire denigrated bingo hall customers (commuteresources101.wordpress.com)
- Ala. governor signs tough illegal immigration law (ajc.com)
- Ala. to Enact Arizona-Style Immigration Crackdown (foxnews.com)
- Ala. Weighs Crackdown on Illegal Immigrants (foxnews.com)
- Glock Sales Surge After Arizona Shootings (businessweek.com)
- Arizona Green Party continues to advocate for non-violence after tragedy in Tucson (wilderside.wordpress.com)