Category Archives: Racism
…the one blog I try to view every day. This is a video that Lisa put together Called “Back in the Good Old Days” which is a good indicator that Romney will bring Bushiness back to us.
Hope you enjoy it. I sure did!
Life seems to be very hard for these folks. Listen to the big amount of Romney lies they have ingested like vitamins:
How do you live with these people… these utterly stupid an misinformed people?
- Ohio Mitt Romney Supporters Don’t Know Mitt Romney (bungalowbillscw.blogspot.com)
- Obama goes after Romney’s Jeep ad (cbsnews.com)
- NBC’s Ohio Poll: 45% of Likely Voters Conservative, 23% Liberal–And Obama’s Up 6 (cnsnews.com)
Secretary of State under George W. Bush, Colin Powell, had retired Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson as a Chief of Staff. Wilkerson made this comment in response to John Sununu‘s statement on Thursday that Powell’s endorsement of President Barack Obama’s re-election was motivated by race:
“My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that’s despicable.”
- Col. Lawrence Wilkerson
And there are people who want these guys elected… why? We worked so hard for decades to establish the civil rights of all Americans. It was a triumph to elect our first black president and Obama has made significant achievements in his first term, even though he faced Republicans in the Congress who publicly pledged to keep his agenda from being passed.
Voting for Republicans in this election endorses their racial views. Do you?
- Col. Lawrence Wilkerson says his party the Republican party is full of Racists (americanlivewire.com)
- Lawrence Wilkerson, Former Colin Powell Aide, Blasts Sununu, GOP As ‘Full Of Racists’ (democraticunderground.com)
- Col Lawrence Wilkerson On Republican Party: My Party Is Full Of Racists (ireport.cnn.com)
- Powell’s former chief of staff: I’m voting for Obama too (tv.msnbc.com)
- Video | Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson: “My Party Is Full Of Racist” (3chicspolitico.com)
- Romney campaign so desperate to change subject from Mourdock that they accuse Colin Powell of racism (dailykos.com)
- A Candid Republican Tells The Truth About Racism In His Party (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
- Sununu: Powell endorsed President Obama because of race (thehill.com)
- White Elephants (boyculture.com)
- Honesty – From the Mouth of a Conservative – Finally! (With Video Link) (euterpe-1641499.newsvine.com)
This is pretty stupid for the Tea Party… and female bodies when subjected to rape do not have ways to shut the whole thing down.
This is not the situation that is defined by response by women to the Tea Party view.
- Todd Akin: Claire McCaskill was like a “wildcat” in debate (washingtonpost.com)
- Todd Akin’s wife to GOP: Stop raping my husband! (dailykos.com)
- “The Arbiter For Women”: Todd Akin Just Can’t Seem To “Shut It Down” (mykeystrokes.com)
- Rep. Todd Akin’s comments prove need for sex ed in schools (suntimes.com)
- Rep. Todd Akin Says It’s Rare Women Get Pregnant from ‘Legitimate Rape’ (theatlanticwire.com)
- Todd Akin: ‘Legitimate’ rape victims don’t get pregnant (dailykos.com)
- Claire McCaskill: Todd Akin ‘Makes Michele Bachmann Look Like A Hippie’ (huffingtonpost.com)
Here is why we have to keep Romney and his buddies away from controlling America:
So liberals are Nazis and are going to gas Christians like Nazis did Jews in WWII era. Also, I don’t think Christians in America are a minority… hopefully only the ones who share Pat Robertson‘s obscene attack. And Robertson sees Romney as his buddy.
- Romney campaigner Pat Robertson tells man to beat his wife (americablog.com)
- Pat Robertson to humiliated hubby: ‘Well, you could become a Muslim and you could beat her’ (rawstory.com)
- Jews Must Be Converted | American Right Wing Nuts’ Hates Fest (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- FRCWC Says Shame on You Pat Robertson (peacemattershere.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney’s new economic message: Keep the word ‘God’ on coins (dailykos.com)
- Romney/Ryan 2012: Pallin’ around with terrorists (dailykos.com)
“No. I think civil rights are for blacks. What have we done to the immigrants? We owe black people something. We have a legacy of slavery. Immigrants haven’t even been in this country.”
Is it any wonder that Ms. Coulter has such a conservative following?
- Ann Coulter: Democrats ignoring blacks, courting Hispanics (news.yahoo.com)
- Ann Coulter Claims “Civil Rights Are For Blacks” (lezgetreal.com)
- Ann Coulter: Civil rights are only ‘for blacks’ (thegrio.com)
- Ann Coulter: ‘Civil rights are for blacks – what have we done to the immigrants?’ (thegreatone22.wordpress.com)
- Ann Coulter says immigration reform isn’t a civil right; libs diminish civil rights, hurl venom, hate (twitchy.com)
- Ann Coulter Claims Only Black People Have Civil Rights (VIDEO) (addictinginfo.org)
On Fox News’ “The O’Reilly Factor” last night, onetime Bill Clinton ally (now foe) Dick Morris suggested the former president secretly wants Barack Obama to lose the election but won’t say so publicly because the Obama administration is holding Hillary Clinton hostage and it will kill her if he loses.
The look on Bill O’Reilly’s face and the tone of his voice during the interview demonstrates that even he thought Morris’ suggestion was ludicrous, though it is rather appalling that the two men appeared to laugh at the supposed “joke.”
A congregation of assholes, no?
- ICE chief of staff resigns after allegations of lewd conduct | Fox News (genomega1.wordpress.com)
- Dick Morris Repeats His Outlandish Claim That Bill Clinton Doesn’t Want Obama Re-Elected (newshounds.us)
- Is Dick Morris the world’s worst political pundit? | Harry J Enten (guardian.co.uk)
Take a look:
There are about 2 months left for about 114,000 residents who have been shut out of the vote, be they seniors or blacks or hispanics. We should all be working to clean up this mess.
Let’s see what happens now.
- On This Day in 2012: Racist/Bigoted Voter Suppression Laws in Florida SMACKED DOWN (blackwriteandread.wordpress.com)
- Rick Scott’s Voter Registration Suppression Law Is Dead (thinkprogress.org)
- Dems file fed lawsuit to stop shortened early-voting days in Florida (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Federal judge to permanently lift Florida voter registration restrictions (rawstory.com)
- Judge permanently blocks voter registration rules (tampabay.com)
- Federal court rejects Florida early voting changes (tbo.com)
- Why CNN’s latest Florida poll should panic GOP (dailykos.com)
Two people were removed from the Republican National Convention by security and police. Multiple witnesses observed the exchange and the convention released a statement saying:
“Two attendees tonight exhibited deplorable behavior. Their conduct was inexcusable and unacceptable. This kind of behavior will not be tolerated.”
A CNN representative said:
“CNN can confirm there was an incident directed at an employee inside the Tampa Bay Times Forum earlier this afternoon. CNN worked with convention officials to address this matter and will have no further comment.”
No information has been released as to who the two offenders were nor what has happened to them
- Two people removed from RNC after taunting black camera operator (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- What Right Wing Racism? “This Is How We Feed the Animals” (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- 2 RNC Racists Taunt Black CNN Camera Operator, Throw Nuts (distriction.com)
- Black Camerawoman Heckled at RNC (theroot.com)
- Two Republicans Do Something Racist Enough to Get Them Bounced from the Republican Convention (slog.thestranger.com)
- Black CNN camera operator allegedly pelted with peanuts, told ‘this is how we feed animals’ at RNC (thegrio.com)
- RNC Attendee Hurled Nuts at Black CNN Camerawoman, Called Her an ‘Animal’ (towleroad.com)
- RNC attendee tossed for harassing black CNN camerawoman (rawstory.com)
- Report: Black CNN Camerawoman Had Nuts Thrown at Her at GOP Convention, Assailant Shouted “This Is How We Feed Animals” [Rnc Tampa] (gawker.com)
The Speaker of the House told a luncheon hosted by the Christian Science Monitor in Tampa Monday that the Republican Party counted on apathy from the Latinos and blacks in choosing Democrats over Republicans… something that has become apparent by record margins in recent polls.
His actual words (in public, no less):
“This election is about economics… These groups have been hit the hardest. They may not show up and vote for our candidate but I’d suggest to you they won’t show up and vote for the president either.”
Combine this with the Republican campaign for voter ID laws, for limiting voting hours and for stalling registrations , and you get the clear fact that these laws were meant to keep blacks from voting.
As Doug Priesse, chair of the Franklin County, Ohio Republican Party, said about restrictive early voting hours and voter ID laws:
“I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter-turnout machine… Let’s be fair and reasonable.”
In Pennsylvania House Republican leader Mike Turzai conceeded the point of voter ID is to help Republicans win
“Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.”
So it looks like Republican leadership from the top to the bottom will do their best to realize a publicly stated hope: Keep minorities away from the voting box… it’s the only way for them to have a 100% white male government.
- Stewart Rips Voter ID Laws As ‘The Price You Pay For Something That Doesn’t Happen’ (mediaite.com)
- Why Today’s Voter ID Faceoff in Pennsylvania Is Crucial (colorlines.com)
- EDITORIAL: Voter laws: A partisan jackpot? (nwfdailynews.com)
- Bill Maher Says What the Media Won’t: Voter ID Laws Are Racist (politicususa.com)
- Pennsylvania judge denies challenge to state’s voter ID law (reuters.com)
- Doug Priesse: Ohio Early Voting Process Should Not Accommodate Black Voters (huffingtonpost.com)
- VIDEO: How to Fight Voter Suppressio n! (point4counterpoint.wordpress.com)
- Risk of Voter Suppression Resurfaces: Wisconsin Attorney General Seeks to Reinstate Voter ID Law (commondreams.org)
- Iowa Latinos seen as key to presidential campaigns (thegazette.com)
- Obama Leads Romney By 39 Points Among Latino Voters (outsidethebeltway.com)
I received this from my friend John Case this morning and I felt it was important to pass on to you.
John Case <firstname.lastname@example.org> Aug 24 08:43PM
I’m going to tell you a story, then I need your help.
In self-defense, John McNeil, a successful African American businessman and father of two, shot and killed a Caucasian man. The deceased was a former builder who worked on John’s property and had threatened John and his son with a weapon.
His case should have been covered under Georgia’s Castle Doctrine, but John McNeil is sitting in jail serving a life sentence for murder.
John’s case is currently being reviewed in Georgia courts. We hope that the decision is a just one and that Attorney General Sam Olens does what is in his power to see that justice is served and John returns home to his family.
NAACP President Ben Jealous is heading to Georgia to personally deliver a petition in support of John’s case, please add your name to it today:
John’s case is even more egregious when you consider the circumstances of his arrest. The District Attorney, who was running for re-election, brought charges 274 days after the incident. The police believed John McNeil acted in self-defense and did not commit a crime. Two officers who responded to the incident testified to this point at trial.
This is a clear-cut case of self-defense. Please sign the petition asking the Georgia attorney general to support justice for John McNeil:
I hope you will review this and take action. Had it been a white man who exercised self-protection on his property, we would never see that man in this position.
- I’m Going to Repeat Myself (blackwriteandread.wordpress.com)
- NAACP wants ‘stand your ground’ provisions applied in Cobb murder case (ajc.com)
- NAACP backs ‘Stand Your Ground’ defense for Georgia prisoner (thegrio.com)
- Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens to speak at GOP convention (onlineathens.com)
- NAACP: Racial motivation behind Johnny Lee Butts hit-and-run? (thegrio.com)
Speaking in Michigan, Romney came out with this Birther joke:
“No one has ever asked to see my birth certificate. They know that this is the place that we were born and raised.”
Of course, he has said earlier that he has no doubts that Obama was born in the USA. A hearty applause, however, met his comment. Still, it was awkward for the candidate to play on the birther conspiracy , even after the president released his “long-form” birth certificate in 2011.
Reuters released Mitt Romney’s own birth certificate on the day when the candidate appeared with Donald Trump, who once again spurted out his doubts about the president’s birthplace.
Is this crap ever going to end. I guess when you have no solutions to the many problems we face, this is about as good as Willard can do.
- Willard on the TEA PARTY& Elections (afrikanking.wordpress.com)
- Romney’s birth certificate evokes his father’s controversy. (iamacitizen.wordpress.com)
- Politics & NWO – Re: JUST IN- OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE (disclose.tv)
- Mitt Romney: I can’t, I’m Mormon! (salon.com)
2. White terrorists are “troubled loners.” Other terrorists are always suspected of being part of a global plot, even when they are obviously troubled loners.
3. Doing a study on the danger of white terrorists at the Department of Homeland Security will get you sidelined by angry white Congressmen. Doing studies on other kinds of terrorists is a guaranteed promotion.
4. The family of a white terrorist is interviewed, weeping as they wonder where he went wrong. The families of other terrorists are almost never interviewed.
5. White terrorists are part of a “fringe.” Other terrorists are apparently mainstream.
6. White terrorists are random events, like tornadoes. Other terrorists are long-running conspiracies.
7. White terrorists are never called “white.” But other terrorists are given ethnic affiliations.
8. Nobody thinks white terrorists are typical of white people. But other terrorists are considered paragons of their societies.
9. White terrorists are alcoholics, addicts or mentally ill. Other terrorists are apparently clean-living and perfectly sane.
10. There is nothing you can do about white terrorists. Gun control won’t stop them. No policy you could make, no government program, could possibly have an impact on them. But hundreds of billions of dollars must be spent on police and on the Department of Defense, and on TSA, which must virtually strip search 60 million people a year, to deal with other terrorists.
There. Doesn’t that make everything clearer?
- Watch “MSM Conditioning Public for “White” Domestic Terrorist with Shootings” on YouTube (hwnsurf.me)
- Two White Terroristic Cops Tasered A Deaf Innocent Black Female Who Called For Help And Is Jailed For Nearly 3 Days Without An Interpreter (innerstandingisness.wordpress.com)
- A Double Standard of Terrorism (jodylancastle.wordpress.com)
- FBI: Right-wing terror is real (salon.com)
- The top 10 illiberal, uninformed and racist comments of the Guardian’s latest star, Juan Cole (cifwatch.com)
- Brutish White Terrorist Jailed For The Murder Of A Non-White Student (innerstandingisness.wordpress.com)
- Republicans Blasted Obama Administration For Warning About Right-Wing Domestic Terrorism (thinkprogress.org)
This is from MoveOn.org:
Forget, momentarily, that he once tried to relate to a group of black teens by asking them, “Who let the dogs out?”
Forget all that for just a moment, and focus on this:
So now that you know, what’s your best reason not to trust the Mittster?
- Romney On NAACP Booing: If They Want More Free Stuff From The Government Vote Obama (mediaite.com)
- NAACP Official: Romney ‘Flew In’ His Own Blacks to Cheer NAACP Speech (atlantablackstar.com)
- Romney Accused of Racism After Saying NAACP Wants ‘Free Stuff’ (nymag.com)
- Who Was Romney Really Speaking To At The NAACP? (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Romney On NAACP Booers: They’re Freeloaders (thinkprogress.org)
- Romney Courts the White Vote by Talking to the NAACP (motherjones.com)
- Romney Brags About NAACP Boos, Says They Want “Free Stuff” So Should “Vote For The Other Guy” (alan.com)
- Romney Race-Baits after NAACP Speech (rawstory.com)
– and -
Rick McKee in the Augusta Chronicle:
Or the morality of our heroes?
– and –
Or the progress we have made in race relations?
– and –
Or how politicians can bamboozle voters?
– and –
Jack Ohman in The Oregonian:
Or why we let our representatives have what they deny us?
Perhaps he’s got a distorted sense of humor…how could anyone think he really believes what he said?
Then he attempted to clarify his comment, but added to the controversy instead. His quote:
A reporter asked LePage if the IRS was headed in that direction, and he said it was.
When asked if he thought the IRS was going to kill a lot of people like the Nazis, LePage said:
When do gubernatorial elections come up again in Maine? This guy has really got to go. In one small set of statements he has offended Americans, Maine voters and Jews everywhere…and he doesn’t even know it.
- LePage tells Vt. reporter IRS is not as bad as the Gestapo – yet (bangordailynews.com)
- Maine Governor: IRS Is ‘Headed’ In The Direction Of Killing A Lot Of People (huffingtonpost.com)
- Maine Governor Paul LePage Acknowledges That It Is Possible the IRS Is Not Quite As Bad As the Nazi Secret Police at This Very Moment (nymag.com)
- Maine gov: IRS ‘headed’ in Gestapo’s path (content.usatoday.com)
- Maine Republican Gov. Paul LePage says the IRS is going to kill a lot of people – seriously (dailykos.com)
- An open letter to Governor Paul LePage: (thenewquakeragitator.wordpress.com)
- Maine Governor Calls Obamacare’s IRS Agents the “New Gestapo” (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Maine governor draws ire with new IRS ‘Gestapo’ comments (vancouverdesi.com)
- Maine gov calls IRS ‘new Gestapo’ in radio speech (sacbee.com)
Televangelist Bill Keller (said by some to be the most popular televangelist in America), is adamant that a vote for either Obama or Romney is a vote for Satan, resulting in condemning the voter to a life in Hell. Ordinarily, one could say to any American voter that this guy is completely insane. However, we don’t seem to be living in ordinary times.
Keller became an extreme, conservative Christian while serving a prison term as an insider trader in the stock market. Upon getting out, he went to Liberty University under the tutelage and right wing influence of the late Jerry Falwell. Like Falwell, he doesn’t separate religion from politics.
Here’s what Keller has stated on television about Obama and Romney:
“A Christian is faced with a difficult dilemma this November. It is literally Satan flipping a two-headed coin with his head on both sides. How can a Christian in good conscience vote for President Obama, who has proven to be the most pro-baby killing, pro-radical homosexual, pro-enemy of Israel President in our nation’s history.”
“On the other hand, how can a Christian in good conscience vote for Mitt Romney, a 5th generation member and priest of the Satanic Mormon cult. His Presidency would give his cult the mainstream acceptance they have always wanted since being founded 200 years ago by a documented con-artist, racist, pedophile, polygamist, and murderer named Joseph Smith. Conservative estimates are that Romney’s cult will add at least 1 million converts in the US alone. For a Christian, that means 1 million souls who will buy into a false Gospel and burn in hell for all eternity!”
Keller’s solution for his followers is a denial of government altogether – vote for Jesus:
“Jesus will never get elected, but if we can get a million people writing in the name ‘Jesus’, it is not only going to impact the election, it is going to make a statement that Christians aren’t going to just take whoever they are offered anymore.”
Here’s what I think: getting people to vote for Jesus makes them disown their identity as Americans. It also gives an advantage to Romney, since many Christian organizations are recognizing Mormons as Christians, despite what Bill Keller says, and a vote for Jesus would most likely to be a vote against our first black president.
Religion should not be part of our government and wasn’t intended to be by the Founding Fathers. Sarah Palin has raised the same issue… and she is just as wrong:
Frankly, I’d agree with John Adams before I’d consider the religious misdirection of Keller and Palin.
- J.C. For President! (patheos.com)
- Keller: ‘Write in the Name of Jesus for President’ (secularnewsdaily.com)
- Liberty University Here We Come (godshammer.wordpress.com)
- Pat Robertson: Vote Romney because ‘you don’t have Jesus running’ (rawstory.com)
- Obama’s Gayloed & Romney’s Rewarded: Both Satanic to Evangelicals (bilerico.com)
- Christians should repent and vote for Ron Paul, says pastor (jeenyuscorner.com)
- Mormonvoices Explains Mormons Are Christians, Just Not Evangelicals (prweb.com)
“Mosques are not churches like we would think of churches. They think of mosques more as a foothold into a society, as a foothold into a community, more in the cultural and in the nationalistic sense. Our churches — we don’t feel that way, they’re places of worship, and mosques are simply not that, and we need to take that into account when approving construction of those.”
So much for Freedom of Religion. The incredible fear generated by the right is really freaking me out. Speaking as an atheist, I could have the same feeling about Grantham’s churches, but I don’t.
- GOP Colorado State Senator On Banning Mosques: They’re Not ‘Places Of Worship’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Religious freedom confusions: Banning mosques and vouchers for Muslim schools (coloradoindependent.com)
M. Wuerker in Politico:
– and –
… and who knew Republicans would limit their concern for life to pre-birth?… Hey wait, we did!
– and –
Lee Judge in the Kansas City Star:
… and who knew that voters could be manipulated to fear certain issues?… Gee, we did!
– and –
Clay Bennett in the Chattanooga Times Free Press:
… and did you know that Obama is objected to by the stupid?… We certainly did!
– and –
Pat Bagley in the Salt Lake Tribune:
Fortunately, we have the Republicans’ view of History.
- Politico’s Matt Wuerker on His Pulitzer-Winning Cartoons (washingtonian.com)
- Editorial Cartoons Are Stale, Simplistic, and Just Not Funny (slate.com)
The Pulitzer Prize winner is the nation’s first poet laureate to hail from the South since the initial one – Robert Penn Warren – in 1986. She is also Mississippi’s top poet and will be the first person to serve simultaneously as a state and U.S. laureate.
Winner of the 2007 Pulitzer Prize for her book of poems, “Native Guard,” Trethewey focused partly on history that was erased because it was never recorded. She wrote of the Louisiana Native Guard, a black Civil War regiment assigned to guard white Confederate soldiers held on Ship Island off Mississippi’s Gulf Coast.
The Confederate prisoners were later memorialized on the island, but not the black Union soldiers.
Here’s one of her poems: Providence.
|by Natasha Trethewey|
What's left is footage: the hours before Camille, 1969—hurricane parties, palm trees leaning in the wind, fronds blown back, a woman's hair. Then after: the vacant lots, boats washed ashore, a swamp where graves had been. I recall how we huddled all night in our small house, moving between rooms, emptying pots filled with rain. The next day, our house— on its cinderblocks—seemed to float in the flooded yard: no foundationbeneath us, nothing I could see tying us to the land. In the water, our reflection trembled, disappeared when I bent to touch it.
- Natasha Trethewey named 19th US poet laureate (news.yahoo.com)
- Natasha Trethewey Is Named Poet Laureate (nytimes.com)
- Natasha Trethewey named 19th US poet laureate (sfgate.com)
- A poem by Natasha Trethewey, next US poet laureate (kansascity.com)
- Civil War history buff named U.S. poet in chief (ctv.ca)
- Emory professor named U.S. poet laureate (ajc.com)
Who do you attach yourself to if you want to win?
Does it matter where the supporter stands?
Avoiding the issues and keeping up the crap.
Jeff Danziger in the L. A. Times:
But it keeps us entertained.
Tom Toles in The Washington Post:
After all…politics is just a card game.
This was clipped from AmericaBlog:
“The second Birther claim is by far the most hilarious: namely, that the Constitution states that both parents must be natural-born citizens of the United States in order to be president. The Philadelphia Convention must have written that clause in invisible ink, because nowhere in Article II, Section 1, Clause 5 of the Constitution does it state that. The Constitution states that the candidate must only be born here (check), must be at least 35-years-old (check), and be a US resident for at least 14 years (check).
“What makes the second thinking so hilarious is that under Birthers‘ very own logic, the GOP‘s 2012 presidential nominee Mitt Romney is also ineligible to be president – his papi was born in Mexico.”
You don’t hear Birthers going after Mitt on this, oh, because he’s the white guy? What about the fact that his grandfather living in Mexico was there so he could have multiple wives?
This election is getting insane…
- Prove Mitt’s not a unicorn, group says in satirizing ‘birthers’ (cnn.com)
- Mitt Romney Will Not ‘Repudiate’ Donald Trump For Birther Views (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- The Romney Campaign Joins the Birther Brigade (takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com)
- “Bringing The Sideshow Into The Circus”: Why The Media Is Giving Romney A Pass On Trump’s Birtherism (mykeystrokes.com)
- 17,000 People Sign Petition Asking Birther-Curious Arizona Official To Investigate Whether Romney Is A Unicorn (thinkprogress.org)
- Bill Maher satirizes Birthers… this is FUNNY! (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Romney Mentions US Birth Requirement Amid Fresh Birther Controversy, Wants To Require Presidents To “Work In Business” (alan.com)
- Romney Explains Why He Accepts Birther Trump: “I Need To Get 50.1% Or More” (alan.com)
The silhouette on the paper target is faceless. But the hoodie, the Skittles and the iced tea leave nothing to the imagination. This is meant to be Trayvon Martin, the unarmed 17-year-old shot to death in February in Sanford, Florida.
Skittles brand candy is clearly depicted in the targets. The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company, a division of Mars Inc., produces and markets Skittles. They could stop the sale of these targets by taking legal action against the Hiller Armament Company, which sells the targets online.
Stop the sale of these targets by signing our petition (at the link) to The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company and Mars Inc.
I have said many times in this blog that, with the exception of Shepherdstown and most of the Eastern Panhandle, I dislike being identified with West Virginia. Whether it is a supposedly Democratic senator who acts and votes like a Republican (Manchin) or the hillbilly stereotype other states see us as, being in West Virginia is no place for a liberal. We are victims of tons of jokes told in other states, like:
Q. Why do ducks fly over West Virginia upside down?
A. There’s nothing worth crapping on!
Well, we topped ourselves again, In yesterday’s Democratic primary, a man in prison in Texas got 4 out of 10 votes for the Presidential nomination.
Keith Judd, is serving time at the Beaumont Federal Correctional Institution in Texas for making threats at the University of New Mexico in 1999. Obama received 59 percent of the vote to Judd’s 41 percent. He got on the ballot by paying a $2,500 fee (don’t know who paid it for him…but I am not surprised that some West Virginian did) and filing a form known as a notarized certification of announcement with the Secretary of State’s office.
Interviewing a WV resident, the AP published a statement:
“I voted against Obama,” said Ronnie Brown, a 43-year-old electrician from Cross Lanes who called himself a conservative Democrat. “I don’t like him. He didn’t carry the state before and I’m not going to let him carry it again.”
When asked which presidential candidate he voted for, Brown said, “That guy out of Texas.”
Now it’s a question whether Judd will have a representative at the Democratic National Convention (15% of the vote or more usually gets you a rep.)
So, West Virginia has embarrassed me once again. Where will it end?
- Against Obama, even a jailbird gets some votes (hosted.ap.org)
- ELECTION 2012: Texas Inmate Gets 40% of Vote against Obama in West Virginia Democratic Primary (pumabydesign001.com)
- 42% Of West Virginia Democrats Vote For Federal Inmate In Presidential Primary (theamericanteaman.com)
- Federal Prisoner Nabs 40% of Early Vote Against Obama in West Virginia Primary (treeofmamre.wordpress.com)
- Federal Prisoner Gives Obama A Run For His Money In West Virginia, May Earn Delegates At Convention (mediaite.com)
- OBAMA LOSES WEST VIRGINIA DELEGATES TO PRISON INMATE – Unexpectedly! “An obscure federal prison inm… (pjmedia.com)
- Federal inmate’s sizable West Virginia presidential vote tally (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Manchin wins Democratic primary in West Virginia, CNN projects (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- President Obama embarrassed by inmate No. 11593-051 (twitchy.com)
I only noticed this because my daughter is a Cornell graduate and I’ve always thought it to be a reasonable and progressive school.
Then this came out in The Cornell Daily Sun:
Allegedly taunting them with references to Trayvon Martin, a group of people on the roof of the Sigma Pi fraternity house reportedly threw bottles and other objects at black students who were walking by the house early Sunday morning, according to several accounts.
Sigma Pi President Zach Smith ’13 said in an email Sunday afternoon that the fraternity has “figured out who the perpetrator was, and will turn his name over to police.” The individual identified was not a brother of the fraternity, he said.
Cornell Chief of Police Kathy Zoner confirmed that people were “reportedly making racial references” and throwing bottles from the roof of Sigma Pi. She added that she could not disclose more information because the investigation, which is being led by Ithaca Police, is ongoing.
Beverly Fonkwo ’14 said she was walking home with a friend when, unprovoked, the group on the fraternity roof began throwing objects that landed near a group walking behind them.
When the people walking behind Fonkwo asked them to stop, the people on top of the fraternity continued to throw objects — including a Jack Daniels that landed near the group behind and an unopened beer can that landed near Fonkwo and her friend — she said.
When they asked them to stop again, the group responded, “‘Come up here, Trayvon,’ and started making all these other racial comments,” Fonkwo said. A black teenager from Florida, Trayvon Martin was shot and killed in February — a death that was widely perceived as unprovoked and galvanized African American activists across the country.
There’s more in the article, but mostly about Sigma Pi making excuses.
That such a disappointing thing would happen in 2012… that it would use the calling out of Trayvon Martin’s name in a derisive manner… shows me how little we have gained in the last 50 years or so, and how little we have endowed our younger generation with.