It’s a pretty substantial 20%… the question is will they show up? Here’s the demographics:
Here in the Shepherd University area where we see an awful lot of the youth category daily, we are curious as to how involved students are getting in the campaigns. From what I see it is minimal at best.
How is it where you are? Does it look like we will surpass the 2008 election or fall below it’s total of young voters? We’ll have to wait and see.
- Loreto urges youths to register to vote (leytesamardaily.net)
- UPA ‘cheating’ youths: Modi (thehindu.com)
- ‘Discussion on Voter Turnout at the Economic Club (jonathanjuteau.wordpress.com)
- Reaching First Generation College Students (insidehighered.com)
- New ID Laws May Shoot Down College-Student Voters (huffingtonpost.com)
The Speaker of the House told a luncheon hosted by the Christian Science Monitor in Tampa Monday that the Republican Party counted on apathy from the Latinos and blacks in choosing Democrats over Republicans… something that has become apparent by record margins in recent polls.
His actual words (in public, no less):
“This election is about economics… These groups have been hit the hardest. They may not show up and vote for our candidate but I’d suggest to you they won’t show up and vote for the president either.”
Combine this with the Republican campaign for voter ID laws, for limiting voting hours and for stalling registrations , and you get the clear fact that these laws were meant to keep blacks from voting.
As Doug Priesse, chair of the Franklin County, Ohio Republican Party, said about restrictive early voting hours and voter ID laws:
“I guess I really actually feel we shouldn’t contort the voting process to accommodate the urban — read African-American — voter-turnout machine… Let’s be fair and reasonable.”
In Pennsylvania House Republican leader Mike Turzai conceeded the point of voter ID is to help Republicans win
“Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done.”
So it looks like Republican leadership from the top to the bottom will do their best to realize a publicly stated hope: Keep minorities away from the voting box… it’s the only way for them to have a 100% white male government.
- Stewart Rips Voter ID Laws As ‘The Price You Pay For Something That Doesn’t Happen’ (mediaite.com)
- Why Today’s Voter ID Faceoff in Pennsylvania Is Crucial (colorlines.com)
- EDITORIAL: Voter laws: A partisan jackpot? (nwfdailynews.com)
- Bill Maher Says What the Media Won’t: Voter ID Laws Are Racist (politicususa.com)
- Pennsylvania judge denies challenge to state’s voter ID law (reuters.com)
- Doug Priesse: Ohio Early Voting Process Should Not Accommodate Black Voters (huffingtonpost.com)
- VIDEO: How to Fight Voter Suppressio n! (point4counterpoint.wordpress.com)
- Risk of Voter Suppression Resurfaces: Wisconsin Attorney General Seeks to Reinstate Voter ID Law (commondreams.org)
- Iowa Latinos seen as key to presidential campaigns (thegazette.com)
- Obama Leads Romney By 39 Points Among Latino Voters (outsidethebeltway.com)