This from the L. A. Times:
The bill sparked a national furor among abortion rights activists who argued that the intent was to make it more costly and more difficult for women to receive abortions.
So here we have a medically unnecessary procedure being forced on women (and their doctors) in a not-so-secret effort to discourage women’s choice. There’s another problem here with serious legal complications:
Carl Tobias, a law professor at the University of Richmond, said the law might place an undue burden on women, making it vulnerable to legal challenge. Enforcement could also be problematic, he said, because it could violate doctor-patient confidentiality.
“How is the state going to verify that there’s been compliance by a doctor unless they see records?” Tobias said in an interview last week. “I don’t know how you can prevent the state from seeing the names” of patients, he said.
As I have said before, free women should stay out of Virginia.
BTW – Happy International Women’s Day.
- Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell Signs Virginia Ultrasound Bill (kayceeweezy.wordpress.com)
- Va governor signs pre-abortion ultrasound bill (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Planned Parenthood Condemns Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell Signing Mandatory Ultrasound Law (yubanet.com)
- Va Governor Signs Pre-Abortion Ultrasound Into Law (abcnews.go.com)
- Gov. Bob McDonnell Signs Abortion Ultrasound Bill Into Law (washington.cbslocal.com)
- Va governor signs pre-abortion ultrasound bill (sfgate.com)
- Va. Governor Signs Ultrasound Bill (myfoxphoenix.com)
- Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell signs Virginia ultrasound bill – CBS News (cbsnews.com)
- Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell signs controversial abortion bill (calgaryherald.com)
- Va. gov. signs bill requiring ultrasounds for abortion (foxnews.com)
- You: Va. Gov. Signs Ultrasound Law (thedailybeast.com)
- McDonnell Signs Ultrasound Abortion Mandate (lezgetreal.com)
- Why Virginia’s New Mandatory Ultrasound Law Still Sucks (alternet.org)
- If I were a woman, I wouldn’t live in Virginia… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
I saw this in The Political Carnival and couldn’t stop laughing…
That War on Women? Well, it looks like the womenfolk are fighting back.
According to CBS News:
“One bill, Republican Del. Bob Marshall‘s House bill 1, would define personhood at conception and “provides that unborn children at every stage of development enjoy all the rights, privileges, and immunities available to other persons, citizens, and residents of the Commonwealth.” The second bill requires that women be required to undergo an ultrasound procedure prior to having an abortion.
The personhood bill, which passed by 66-32 in the Virginia state House, does not ban abortions, the legality of which are protected under the Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade. It would, however, make illegal certain types of contraceptive measures, including emergency contraception. Women’s health advocates say it could also open the door to banning birth control pills and intrauterine devices (IUD).”
This means that the unborn child, at every stage of development, has rights. For instance, at fertilization, any and all fertilized eggs may have the right to be tax deductions, thus shorting the state on money from taxes. And of course there are many more ludicrous circumstances.
It is the second bill which will cause the most anxiety to women. This bill has as
“its requirement that some women undergo a transvaginal ultrasound probe, which is considered more physically invasive than other procedures.
While the bill does not explicitly mandate the use of transvaginal ultrasounds, many women would inevitably be required to undergo them; in the early stages of pregnancy, that procedure is often the only form of ultrasound that can detect a fetus’ heartbeat.
Republicans argue that the ultrasound bill will protect women from complications during abortion procedures, and that providing a woman with the gestational age of the fetus is crucial to her “informed consent” to have an abortion.”
This is, of course, only a procedure designed to scare a woman away from an abortion, even if she has been illegally assaulted and become pregnant or if there is a medical danger in the pregnancy. Since, without her permission, any invasive technique is no better than rape itself.
Republican Governor Bob McDonnell (who looks like he’ll be the mighty Mitt’s choice for Veep) is expected to sign these bills when they hit his desk, making Virginia the first major bastion of Sexual Fascism.
An amendment designed to require the woman’s right to give permission for the invasive exam (promoted by a Democratic delegate) was voted down by 100% of the Republic delegates.
Ladies, get in the car and head for the border… and don’t look back
- Virginia Advances Anti-Abortion “Fetal Personhood” And “Transvaginal Ultrasound” Bills (thefrisky.com)
- Women Beware: Republicans Will Probe Your Privates (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
- Va. GOP Demands Invasive Vaginal Ultrasound Procedure Before Abortion (littlegreenfootballs.com)