Charlie Crist, former Republican Governor of Florida and now an Independent, has endorsed Barack Obama in an article in the Tampa Bay Times. This could have a major effect on more centrist Republicans at the convention and reduce the influence of the Tea Party. Here’s part of the article:
But an element of their party has pitched so far to the extreme right on issues important to women, immigrants, seniors and students that they’ve proven incapable of governing for the people. Look no further than the inclusion of the Akin amendment in the Republican Party platform, which bans abortion, even for rape victims.
The truth is that the party has failed to demonstrate the kind of leadership or seriousness voters deserve.
Pundits looking to reduce something as big as a statewide election to a single photograph have blamed the result of my 2010 campaign for U.S. Senate on my greeting of President Obama. I didn’t stand with our president because of what it could mean politically; I did it because uniting to recover from the worst financial crisis of our lifetimes was more important than party affiliation. I stood with our nation’s leader because it was right for my state.
President Obama has a strong record of doing what is best for America and Florida, and he built it by spending more time worrying about what his decisions would mean for the people than for his political fortunes. That’s what makes him the right leader for our times, and that’s why I’m proud to stand with him today.
Crist’s endorsement has raised a lot of controversy in the press and everyone wonders how effective it will be.
- Florida Republican Charlie Crist Crosses the Aisle and Endorses Obama (delong.typepad.com)
- Fmr. Gov. Charlie Crist Endorses Obama, Slams GOP’s Shift To ‘Extreme Right’ (mediaite.com)
- Charlie Crist endorses Barack Obama. Is DNC speaking role next? (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- FL Gov Crist Endorses Obama As Jeb Bush Attacks GOP (lezgetreal.com)
- Charlie Crist, Who Brought GOP Convention to FL, Endorses Obama (gestetnerupdates.com)
- Charlie Crist, a storm force in Florida politics and political weathervane (miamiherald.typepad.com)
- Former Republican Gov. Crist endorses Obama (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)