In a letter, Jobs stated:
“I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple’s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come. I hereby resign as CEO of Apple.”
Jobs “strongly” recommended tapping Tim Cook as CEO of Apple, and asked to continue serving as chairman of the board and Apple employee, “if the board sees fit.” The board then appointed Cook to the position.
Apple went down 5 points on the Bog Board today when the word got out.
“We’ve been working on this product for a while and I didn’t want to miss today.”
- Steve Jobs made an appearance at the Apple event this morning (stiel.org)
- Steve Jobs introduces iPad 2: ‘It’s in Apple’s DNA that technology is not enough.’ (popwatch.ew.com)
- Steve Jobs unveils iPad 2 (theglobeandmail.com)
- Steve Jobs makes surprise appearance to announce iPad 2 (tuaw.com)
- Apple’s iPad 2 Event Has a Surprise Guest: Steve Jobs (newsfeed.time.com)
- Steve Jobs is Present and Presenting (technologizer.com)
- iPad 2 Launch event: Steve Jobs welcomed with a standing ovation at Apple iPad 2 unveiling (devicemag.com)