In Tennessee, the Republican controlled legislature has introduced bills that discriminate against homosexuals, a bill that allows the teaching of creationism in science class (which has since become law), and bills that restrict abortion.
That, however, was not enough. Republicans are now going even further by introducing language in a sex education bill that would define kissing and holding hands as the gateways to sexual activity (the bill also says sex education teachers cannot discuss contraception.)
According to WMC-TV:
“Tennessee senators approved an update to the state’s abstinence-based sex education law that includes warnings against ‘gateway sexual activity.’ In a new family life instructions bill, holding hands and kissing could be considered gateways to sex.”
When the Beatles sing “I Wanna Hold Your Hand” they will be proposing illegal activity. When the Crystals sing “Then He Kissed Me” they are really singing “He initiated Sexual Activity.”
What on earth is wrong with these people… didn’t they learn ANYTHING from the Scopes Trial?
House Bill 363 passed with a vote of 19-10.
After the new bill goes into effect, the teaching of sex education in Utah classrooms has to be about not having sex before marriage and fidelity within marriage. Teachers cannot advocate the use of contraceptives anymore and they cannot talk about homosexuality, even if asked by a student.
I always thought students learned things by asking questions. So if they have a question about gay marriage, or why do contraceptives exist anyway, their teachers will not be allowed to answer them.
This means at least one of two things:
1. by not learning answers to common questions, students will learn from other, not always accurate sources.
2. by being young and prone to experiment, students will try out experiences to see why they are being banned from education.
Utah… that’s Mormon country,no? Does Romney support this unfortunate bill? I guess he must, given his most recent campaign statements on birth control.
- Utah passes Abstinence-only sex ed bill, Bans talking about homosexuality and contraceptives in schools (queerlandia.com)
- Utah Passes Abstinence-Only Sex Education Bill; Bans Discussion of Homosexuality and Contraceptives: VIDEO (towleroad.com)
- Utah Ditches Sex Education (lezgetreal.com)
- Utahns say lawmakers went too far, call for veto of sex ed bill ()
- Utah Goes Back To The Victorian Era (ken_ashford.typepad.com)
- Utah Senate Passes Abstinence Only Bill (haleybehre.wordpress.com)
- Utah passes bill banning sex education – how long till teen pregnancies skyrocket? (bazaardaily.com)
- Why Utah’s Anti-Sex-Ed Bill May Backfire (livescience.com)