It’s the eleventh anniversary of the 9/11 tragedy and it will be the subject of all of today’s talk shows. The very thought of everything involved in the event… from the destruction of the World Trade Center, the crash into the Pentagon and the plane that went down in a Pennsylvania field. I remember the father of one of Buddy’s friends when we lived in Marlborough,CT, who had made his monthly business trip to NYC and died in the attack… which means not only did it happen, but I knew someone killed in the tragedy.
We are at war in the Middle East… still going after Al Qaeda. It is the longest war in our history and seems to go on forever. After the loss of citizens on 9/11, we continue to lose even more Americans because of the attack. I ask my self: what have we become?
I will try to put the day out of my mind. I have thought about it so much over the past eleven years. I am just crestfallen to find it on my mind again.
- Six words for 9/11 (pbs.org)
- The Morning of September 11, 2001 Through My Eyes (re-post) (pumabydesign001.com)
- “The things I wish I hadn’t learned” (thethingsihavelearnedblog.com)
- When Death Came From The Sky (poemsandponderings.wordpress.com)
- Patriot Day 2012 (nebraskaenergyobserver.wordpress.com)
- US Commemorates 9/11 Attacks on 11th Anniversary (news92fm.com)
- WTC Building 7: controlled demolition? Hardly (halfbyteblog.wordpress.com)
Many years ago I wrote, while living in Marlborough, CT, of the loss of Jim Hobin, my son Buddy’s basketball coach. Jim usually worked out of our little central Connecticut town, but on that day he had left early in the morning to get to the main office of the company he worked for in New York. In the World Trade Center.
It was a loss that everyone in Marlborough felt… this was a town united by the sporting programs for its children, by congregation for morning coffee in the bakery, by well attended selectmen’s meetings. 9/11 would always mean Jim Hobin’s death to us.
- ‘This is a time to remember all those murdered by bin Laden’: Cameron pays tribute to victims of executed Al Qaeda kingpin (dailymail.co.uk)
- Osama Bin Laden Is Dead, United States Has Body (time.com)
I woke up this morning to the news I should have heard last night (I went to bed early) – Osama Bin Laden has been killed in a U.S. strike ordered by Barack Obama and based on US Intelligence. This was actually done on April 29th in an action that was kept in tight secrecy. It is notable that not even the Pakistanis were informed that this was going to happen (in the past, every time they were informed of such an action, Bin Laden curiously escaped just in time to save himself.)
From early reports, Bin Laden was shot in the head by a Navy Seal and, reportedly, he was hiding behind a woman at the time. The attack was made by four helicopters and a small team. No Americans were harmed. The US took custody of Bin Laden’s body after the attack and then followed Islamic law by having him buried at sea so that no tomb could be made on land… since Bin Laden was not a sailor, but the burial at sea was a traditional burial of an enemy.
This attack plan began in June of 2009 when Obama ordered CIA director Leon Panetta to have as his primary goal locating Bin Laden. The plan was kept in complete secrecy – even from members of Congress – and no information was leaked before its occurence.
My wife’s comment this morning was “This will get Obama reelected.”
- White House: Osama Bin Laden is Dead (benzinga.com)
- Osama Bin Laden killed in Pakistan (pakistanic.com)
- US kills Osama bin Laden (prolificmovementblog.com)
- Morning Read: Osama Bin Laden (observer.com)
- Osama bin Laden killed by U.S. Navy Seals – No American Fatalities (devil67712.wordpress.com)
- Food for conspiracy theories – Osama bin Laden “buried” at sea (ktwop.wordpress.com)
- Al Qaeda Leader Osama Bin Laden Killed (news.sky.com)
- CNN: Osama bin Laden killed, U.S. has body (nj.com)
- Osama Bin Laden Dead, Body In US Custody, Obama Makes Statement, Interrupts Sunday Night TV (wtpotus.wordpress.com)
- Bin Laden compound on fire (wdsi.wordpress.com)
- Osama Bin Laden death Photo (pakistanic.com)
I have to agree with Senator Leahy… it looks like Obama has once again pulled in with conservatives who were pushing for the military courts instead of standing up for his 2008 campaign promises. Boy, I wish he’d quit doing that.
- 9/11 Mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed To Face Military Tribunal At Guantanamo Bay (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Obama Administration To Abandon Plans For Civilian Trials For 9/11 Plotters (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Obama’s First 2012 Election Stunt: Militayr Trials for KSM and Four 911 Muslim Terrorists (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Accused 9/11 mastermind to face military tribunal (cnn.com)
- Breaking: KSM to get military commission trial (hotair.com)
- 9/11 suspect to be tried at Guantanamo (rt.com)
- KSM to be tried by military commission at Gitmo (cbsnews.com)
Now it looks like the 2 New York Senators are going to try to put this bill through again, somewhat cut down. Will the Republicans hold it up again with a filibuster? Remember that the House already approved this with a 100 vote plurality. Blocking it has been merely a political gambit.
We’ll have to see if it gets through before Christmas. It SHOULD if there are any morals left in Congress.
- Fox legal analyst doesn’t mention Republicans voted against 9/11 health bill (crooksandliars.com)
- Memo To Fox News: Support The 9-11 First Responders (blogs.forbes.com)
- “America Held Hostage: 9/11 first responders bill can pass, but only if corps can offshore jobs” and related posts (reidreport.com)
- Some Republicans to support 9/11 Health Bill? (crooksandliars.com)
- ‘Daily Show’ Does Journalism Again: Shames GOP, Fox ‘News’, Network News Over 9/11 Legislation (bradblog.com)
- Will FOX News give Jon Stewart his own show? (maureenholland.wordpress.com)
- Report: Momentum Building For Lame-Duck Session Passing Of 9/11 First Responders Bill (mediaite.com)
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand: Momentum Building Toward A Christmas Miracle For Our 9/11 Heroes (huffingtonpost.com)
Maybe one more Republican will be ashamed enough of their killing this bill last week that they will come in next week…Maybe.
- ‘Christmas Miracle’ for 9/11 Responders? (abcnews.go.com)
- NY senator renews hope for 9/11 health bill (msnbc.msn.com)
- Gillibrand Optimistic About Passage Of 9/11 Health Bill (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- McCain rips Zadroga bill push as ‘fooling around’ (nydailynews.com)
- 9/11 Health Bill Fails in Senate Test Vote (time.com)