Secretary of State under George W. Bush, Colin Powell, had retired Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson as a Chief of Staff. Wilkerson made this comment in response to John Sununu‘s statement on Thursday that Powell’s endorsement of President Barack Obama’s re-election was motivated by race:
“My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that’s despicable.”
– Col. Lawrence Wilkerson
And there are people who want these guys elected… why? We worked so hard for decades to establish the civil rights of all Americans. It was a triumph to elect our first black president and Obama has made significant achievements in his first term, even though he faced Republicans in the Congress who publicly pledged to keep his agenda from being passed.
Voting for Republicans in this election endorses their racial views. Do you?
- Col. Lawrence Wilkerson says his party the Republican party is full of Racists (americanlivewire.com)
- Lawrence Wilkerson, Former Colin Powell Aide, Blasts Sununu, GOP As ‘Full Of Racists’ (democraticunderground.com)
- Col Lawrence Wilkerson On Republican Party: My Party Is Full Of Racists (ireport.cnn.com)
- Powell’s former chief of staff: I’m voting for Obama too (tv.msnbc.com)
- Video | Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson: “My Party Is Full Of Racist” (3chicspolitico.com)
- Romney campaign so desperate to change subject from Mourdock that they accuse Colin Powell of racism (dailykos.com)
- A Candid Republican Tells The Truth About Racism In His Party (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
- Sununu: Powell endorsed President Obama because of race (thehill.com)
- White Elephants (boyculture.com)
- Honesty – From the Mouth of a Conservative – Finally! (With Video Link) (euterpe-1641499.newsvine.com)
“I’m dreaming of a white president.” 🙂
Newman, who is white, is openly supporting President Barack Obama. He says he wants the public to find comedic relief in the song, but to also know he’s serious about his thoughts that racism is well and alive in the world — and in the current presidential race. He called racism ‘‘the great issue of this country.’’
- Randy Newman mocks racists with ‘I’m dreaming of a white president’ song (thegrio.com)
- Randy Newman’s New Song: I’m Dreaming of a White President (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Randy Newman writes new satirical, political song (seattletimes.com)
- Randy Newman writes new satirical, political song (cnsnews.com)
“The tea party is racist. Its followers have deployed a brilliant strategy to deflect charges of racism by using a form of the legislative provision known as severability. Whenever a tea party group or person is “caught” with a racist sign, or saying explicitly racist comments, they simply “sever” that person from the movement by saying, “That person does not represent the tea party.” They get away with it because they claim the status of a “movement” with no structure, leadership or cohesive identity except allegiance to the three magic phrases: “Constitutional Republic,” “Founding Fathers” and “I want my country back!””
Sound too simple? Read his whole post HERE and then tell me what you think.
- Yes, I’ll say it: The Tea Party Organization is a racist organization. Just as the John Birch Society is a racist organization. (iflizwerequeen.com)
- “Democrats retreat from reality into hopeful delusion : Most democrats believe the tea party is racist… rest of america not buying” and related posts (ibloga.blogspot.com)
- Joe Conason on the Tea Party… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Too Extreme Even For The Tea Party (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Truth-Seeking with Lawrence O’Donnell and Matt Taibbi: Tea Party is ‘Narcissistic,’ ‘Incredibly Stupid’ (newsbusters.org)
Tom Toles in the Washington Post:
The Shirley Sherrod incident brought up the Race issue this past week and it wouldn’t go away… for this we thank the Right (and their amazing Murdoch-iated Media at Fox News) for catching us AGAIN!
– and –
Pat Oliphant, NYT Syndicate:
And , of course, these situations bring out the REAL PROFESSIONALS…
– and –
Kevin Siers in the Charlotte Observer:
And it is easy fool all of the people some of the time… hell, you can probably do it ALL of the time.
I was never more disappointed as when I discovered that Andrew Breitbart was Orson Bean’s Son In Law!
In a C-Span interview this morning, Juan Williams was asked if the statement made by Harry Reid that referred to Barack Obama as “light-skinned” with “no Negro dialect” was at the same level of racism as Trent Lott’s 2002 comment “we wouldn’t have had all these problems over all these years” had segregationist Strom Thurmond been elected President.
Juan’s response seems to sum it up just fine:
“I don’t think Barack Obama would be in the White House if we had a segregationist country. That’s a major, major difference.”
You go, Juan!
Harry Reid chose his words poorly, but equating it with saying a racist would have made a good president is idiocy“, Salon editor Joan Walsh goes after Michael Steele and the Repiglicans over what seems to be a manufactured controversy.
I present you with a small clip:
Umm… who in mainstream America thinks it’s a good idea to write something like that in a guest editorial? Especially in light of the racially-motivated attention garnered by South Carolina Republican activists over the past few months.
Responding to the PalmettoScoop article, one commenter made this point:
“South Carolina, too small to be a republic and too large to be an insane asylum.”
That about sums it up.
Here’s a quick quote from Michael Lind’s piece “Uninsured Like Me”:
Since the 1964 Civil Rights Act destroyed formal white supremacy in the U.S., every attempt to expand traditional social insurance in America has failed. Meanwhile, there has been a massive expansion in government-sponsored welfare going disproportionately to the white and affluent. What the political scientist Christopher Howard calls the hidden welfare state includes the tax-favored employer-provided health insurance that most working-age Americans depend on, as well as the home mortgage interest deduction and the childcare and child tax credits. Affluent and educated workers are more likely to work for employers who provide private health benefits than are low-skilled workers and employees of small businesses. Personal tax benefits like the home mortgage interest deduction are available only to the top half of households who pay federal income taxes, and are unavailable to lower-income workers who pay payroll taxes but no income taxes. In many cases, the benefits of this tax-credit welfare state increase with income.
The whole article is a killer. Read it HERE.
It’s hard to believe that the news even covers this crap, simply because of the things it stirs up. Reverend James Wright has apparently said that Jews are keeping President Obama from speaking to him.
Perhaps Wright forgets that Obama broke off any relationship with the outspoken Reverend when his remarks directly attacked Obama’s Presidential campaign. If I were Obama I wouldn’t talk to him either, and I’m neither Jewish nor black.