This is pretty stupid for the Tea Party… and female bodies when subjected to rape do not have ways to shut the whole thing down.
This is not the situation that is defined by response by women to the Tea Party view.
- Todd Akin: Claire McCaskill was like a “wildcat” in debate (washingtonpost.com)
- Todd Akin’s wife to GOP: Stop raping my husband! (dailykos.com)
- “The Arbiter For Women”: Todd Akin Just Can’t Seem To “Shut It Down” (mykeystrokes.com)
- Rep. Todd Akin’s comments prove need for sex ed in schools (suntimes.com)
- Rep. Todd Akin Says It’s Rare Women Get Pregnant from ‘Legitimate Rape’ (theatlanticwire.com)
- Todd Akin: ‘Legitimate’ rape victims don’t get pregnant (dailykos.com)
- Claire McCaskill: Todd Akin ‘Makes Michele Bachmann Look Like A Hippie’ (huffingtonpost.com)
Women are forced to put their careers and financial future at risk simply because they want to have children. During their pregnancy, they face being fired unfairly or not being able to properly care for themselves. They should not have to worry about making ends meet without paid maternity leave on top of that.
And where do Republicans stand on this outrageous situation?
As Bob Cesca says:
“…Republicans would rather ban abortion, ban contraception and make it super-expensive to be pregnant. Because they care about kids.”
Wouldn’t it be better if they supported paid maternity leave as an effort to avoid abortions without making it terribly expensive for working mothers? Don’t count on it.
- Maternity Leave Issues (jillwillrun.com)
- Penalised over maternity leave (todayonline.com)
- New bill passed on 98 days maternity leave for females (fmnnow.com)
- Why you should support paid maternity leave? Because I already have it (bluemilk.wordpress.com)
- Maternity leave basics: Canada vs. the U.S. (theglobeandmail.com)
- Maternity Leave: Don’t American Moms Deserve Better? (non-toxickids.net)
It is hard to believe that “Pro-Life” does not include the life of the Mother. Republicans once again show their lack of morality and ethical consideration of living people.
This is part of the article from Talking Points Memo:
Subject: Help protect the right to choose
Republicans in Congress are pushing bills that would severely erode
a woman’s right to choose.
Rep. Carolyn Maloney called one bill “the deepest attack on a woman’s
right to choose in my lifetime.” A second bill would allow hospitals to
turn away a woman seeking an abortion, even if she’ll die without it.
It’s reprehensible. I signed a petition urging Congress to oppose these
attacks on the right to choose. Can you join me at the link below?
- The next anti-woman shiny object: Allowing hospitals to deny abortion care (dailykos.com)
- Anti-Abortion Lawmakers Back Off Crazy Rape Redefinition, Find New Way To Marginalize Women (huffingtonpost.com)
- GOP changes rape language after uproar (politico.com)
- GOP To Drop “Forcible Rape” Language From Abortion Bill (outsidethebeltway.com)
- GOP Blinks on ‘Forcible Rape’ But Bill Still Cuts Deeply at Abortion Rights (mediaite.com)
- Judge Blocks Doctor From Filling Vacancy Left By George Tiller Murder (huffingtonpost.com)
- GOP Removes “Forcible” Rape Provision From Bill, Retain Other Anti-Woman Language (lezgetreal.com)
- Huff Post (americablog.com)
- The poorly-named ‘Protect Life Act’ (washingtonmonthly.com)