While John has been on vacation I have been getting up at 5:30 in the morning… very early for a retired guy like me who likes to sit up at night and watch old movies on TV… and have still not gotten used to the schedule. John will be back from Montreal on Friday (I Hope!) and I can get back to my regular waking and sleeping routine.
I see that Andy Warhol‘s elder brother, John Warhola, died on Friday at age 85. The Pop Artist’s brother was responsible, after a promise made to their dying father, to make sure Andy got through college (and he did… going to Carnegie Institute, now Carnegie Mellon… and later going to New York and becoming one of the half dozen or so Top Pop Artists.) Warhola made a point of calling his brother and checking on his progress every Sunday for 38 years until Andy died in 1987.
John Warhola was one of the three original trustees of the Andy Warhol Foundation and was responsible for the establishment of two museums, The Andy Warhol Museum of Modern Art in Slovakia (their family’s homeland) and The Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, PA.
From the NY Times Obituary:
John Warhola was a strong, persistent voice arguing that Pittsburgh, too, should have a museum dedicated to his brother’s work.
“I think with all the museums they already got in New York, they wouldn’t appreciate another one,” he told The Washington Post in 1994, the year the Pittsburgh museum opened as a joint venture of the Warhol Foundation, the Dia Foundation and the Carnegie-Mellon Institute.
In addition to his duties as a trustee, Mr. Warhola took on the role of personal curator of his brother’s pre-Manhattan years. Visiting art-world dignitaries and reporters could count on him for a tour of South Oakland, the neighborhood where the brothers grew up, and a visit to St. John the Baptist Byzantine Catholic Cemetery in Bethel Park, where Andy Warhol is buried and where pilgrims often leave a soup can or Brillo pad on his gravestone.
- John Warhola, brother of artist Andy Warhol, dies (theglobeandmail.com)
- Andy Warhol Foundation Will Cancel Its $100K Smithsonian Check Over Yanked ‘AIDS Jesus’ Video Work (queerty.com)
- Andy Warhol Foundation Threatens to Pull Funding Over Smithsonian Censorship (sfist.com)
- John Warhola, brother of artist Andy Warhol, dies (telegraph.co.uk)
- News: John Warhola, Wilton Manors, Birthers, CPAC, Lightning (towleroad.com)
- Check out a giant Andy Warhol piñata at the Brooklyn Museum (timeoutny.com)
- Andy Warhol Coke Bottle Painting Sells for $35 Million (dailyfinance.com)
- Green Design Institute, Carnegie Mellon – Green Shopping Survey (go-green.ae)