I received this from my friend John Case this morning and I felt it was important to pass on to you.
John Case <firstname.lastname@example.org> Aug 24 08:43PM
I’m going to tell you a story, then I need your help.
In self-defense, John McNeil, a successful African American businessman and father of two, shot and killed a Caucasian man. The deceased was a former builder who worked on John’s property and had threatened John and his son with a weapon.
His case should have been covered under Georgia’s Castle Doctrine, but John McNeil is sitting in jail serving a life sentence for murder.
John’s case is currently being reviewed in Georgia courts. We hope that the decision is a just one and that Attorney General Sam Olens does what is in his power to see that justice is served and John returns home to his family.
NAACP President Ben Jealous is heading to Georgia to personally deliver a petition in support of John’s case, please add your name to it today:
John’s case is even more egregious when you consider the circumstances of his arrest. The District Attorney, who was running for re-election, brought charges 274 days after the incident. The police believed John McNeil acted in self-defense and did not commit a crime. Two officers who responded to the incident testified to this point at trial.
This is a clear-cut case of self-defense. Please sign the petition asking the Georgia attorney general to support justice for John McNeil:
I hope you will review this and take action. Had it been a white man who exercised self-protection on his property, we would never see that man in this position.
- I’m Going to Repeat Myself (blackwriteandread.wordpress.com)
- NAACP wants ‘stand your ground’ provisions applied in Cobb murder case (ajc.com)
- NAACP backs ‘Stand Your Ground’ defense for Georgia prisoner (thegrio.com)
- Georgia Attorney General Sam Olens to speak at GOP convention (onlineathens.com)
- NAACP: Racial motivation behind Johnny Lee Butts hit-and-run? (thegrio.com)
This is from MoveOn.org:
Forget, momentarily, that he once tried to relate to a group of black teens by asking them, “Who let the dogs out?”
Forget all that for just a moment, and focus on this:
So now that you know, what’s your best reason not to trust the Mittster?
- Romney On NAACP Booing: If They Want More Free Stuff From The Government Vote Obama (mediaite.com)
- NAACP Official: Romney ‘Flew In’ His Own Blacks to Cheer NAACP Speech (atlantablackstar.com)
- Romney Accused of Racism After Saying NAACP Wants ‘Free Stuff’ (nymag.com)
- Who Was Romney Really Speaking To At The NAACP? (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Romney On NAACP Booers: They’re Freeloaders (thinkprogress.org)
- Romney Courts the White Vote by Talking to the NAACP (motherjones.com)
- Romney Brags About NAACP Boos, Says They Want “Free Stuff” So Should “Vote For The Other Guy” (alan.com)
- Romney Race-Baits after NAACP Speech (rawstory.com)
8:00PM to 08:45PM
Hosted by Rod Snyder
Event Description:The Jefferson County Young Democrats, Shepherd University Young Democrats and Jefferson County NAACP will hold a candlelight vigil to honor the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and to emphasize the ongoing struggle for civil rights and worker rights.
One of 1000 Demonstrations Nationwide. Be There!
- Forget Haley Barbour. Spidey has gone white pridey. (charlestoncitypaper.com)
- Haley Barbour Mum On Sons Of Confederate Veterans Proposal For KKK Leader License Plate (huffingtonpost.com)
- Barbour won’t denounce Confederate license plate (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Mississippi Proposes License Plate Honoring Confederate General, KKK Grand Wizard (outsidethebeltway.com)