Jim Hightower just wrote a very interesting column – “The Price of Admission”.
Here’s the beginning:
Gosh, I feel so much safer now that teenage ticket takers at the Regal chain of movie theaters have been directed by corporate chieftains to search the purses of their female customers.
The Dark Knight Rises shooter had an armory of weapons that wouldn’t fit in any purse. And need I point out that he was a he? Yet, Regal’s rummaging is apparently reserved for women, even though practically all mass shootings have been committed by male specimens of our species.
Read the whole column HERE. And thanks to Hightower for making this absurdity visible to us all.
- Movie Theater Solution to Preventing Mass Murder by Guys with More Guns Than Rambo? Search Women’s Purses (alternet.org)
- Regal Cinemas says safety is priority after Colorado shooting (timesunion.com)
- Regal Cinema Issues Statement After Local Theater Arrest (fox8.com)
I thought I’d skip over to the News page at the NRA’s website and watch their news report from yesterday, July 20. I was sure they would at least put forward a position on the Colorado shooting that killed and wounded about 50 people.
Wayne LaPierre’s National Rifle Association has ignored the idea of people who shouldn’t have guns being able to get them…and use them. Their recent support of the “Stand Your Ground” law in the Trayvon Martin case is an example of their position. And look, Twenty or so years ago, the NRA was losing members. At the time, when some nut shot up a post office or a McDonald’s, we actually had laws passed like the 1994 assault weapons ban.
LaPierre and members lobbied for years and made sure the assault weapons ban was not renewed. I assume that means that the NRA thinks assaults are legal.
Rather than focus on putting airport-style security on movie theatres (which will keep me away from the movies), why aren’t we exploring more effective gun laws? I assume LaPierre and his minions are meeting today over at their world headquarters outside of DC planning their next set of tactics to keep assault weapons in the hands of moose hunters and to promote automatic weapons and machine guns for target shooting.
Keep an eye on the TV news… the NRA will be showing up soon.
- Why gun lovers still fear Obama (politico.com)
- 15 Dead in Shooting at “The Dark Knight Rises” Movie Screening (fox4kc.com)
- Police: 14 dead in Colorado theater shooting (sfgate.com)
- What Makes The N.R.A. So Dangerous (theobamacrat.com)
- NRA, gun industry once again mine profit from paranoia (blogs.ajc.com)
- Want to know where the NRA stands on shooting people like Trayvon Martin? (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- NRA CEO Wayne LaPierre: The Public Is Being Misinformed About the Stand Your Ground Law Because Politicians Don’t Want Americans Protecting Themselves (foxnewsinsider.com)
- NRA encounters resistance from some Republicans (rep-am.com)
- 14 Killed in Mass Shooting at New Batman Movie (voanews.com)
- NRA-ILA | Hawaii: Governor Signs Important NRA Instructor Liability Bill into Law (rayrope.wordpress.com)