I’ll be clear, here. I am not a veteran of our armed forces. When my eligibility would have occurred I got a 1 Y on my physical and was never allowed in (I was also married with a child and in college at the time.)
What I do remember every Veterans Day, however, is my Uncle Butch (Marine Sgt. Irving B. Tchakirides, my father’s younger brother), who died on his third tour of duty in Viet Nam… a victim of American fire as it happens. Many times I have gone to DC to see his name on the Viet Nam Wall and to remember how much I liked him, along with my other uncles, as a child.
So I wish a Best Veterans Day to the memory of my Uncle Butch and hope that someday we won’t have to think about losing our young men in wars we never should have been in.
- Veterans Day 2012 Tribute – Over 1.3 Million Veterans Honored & Thanked at VetFriends.com (prweb.com)
- Veterans Day 2012 (cbsnews.com)
- Veterans Day 2012 – Fly your flag today (timpanogos.wordpress.com)
- Across US, Veterans Day commemorations under way (cnsnews.com)
- Veterans Day: A US Tradition (blogs.voanews.com)
“I think that birth has an influence over it, like alcoholism and some other things, but I think that basically you have a choice.”
– Ken Buck on Meet The Press.
I know a lot of gay guys who are thrilled that they now have a choice.
- Judge orders lesbian reinstated to Air Force (msnbc.msn.com)
- Judge rules DADT discharge of Major Margaret Witt unconstitutional – she must be reinstated (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Judge orders lesbian reinstated to Air Force (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
And chokes up as he does… This was picked up at TPM:
Al is turning into one of the most moving Senators… I hope to hell he doesn’t get corrupted. He’s so good right now.
- Franken gets emotional over ‘Don’t ask’ vote (politico.com)
- Senator Al Franken’s Final Word- An Emotional Story About DADT (lezgetreal.com)
- McCain Erupts While Defending ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,’ Ignores Testimony Before His Committee (huffingtonpost.com)
- John McCain Lashes Out at Reporters Over Gay Military Ban (mediaite.com)
Are there any politicians who don’t lie about their history? This is another big one from Hysterical Raisins:
Senate could vote on it this week.
Picked this up in the NY Times:
Here’s a clip… but go to the site and read the whole thing: