This is it… first debate of the election season tonight at 9:00 PM Eastern Time. We’re all making guesses as to who is going to say what, who is going to come out on top, etc.
Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) shared his thoughts on the presidential debate:
“Romney has to hit it out of the park. This is probably his last chance, and I bet on Obama.”
Obama has more to think about on this date. It happens to be his and Michelle‘s 20th wedding anniversary… not a great way to celebrate it I think. However, this could also give Obama a really special goal in taking on Romney as a salute to his wife and an extension of his positive mood.
This may be Romney’s last chance to recover the lead in the race… it’s his to lose as many pundits are saying. He has been rehearsing more than he has been out campaigning and, as we have been told, he is memorizing “zingers”. What they are we will have to wait to see, also we’ll have to observe when he uses them. This could be his major mistake of the evening.
Anyway, I wish the Obamas a Happy Anniversary and hope Barack has good luck this evening in Denver.
- Suggested Romney Zinger Lines (themoderatevoice.com)
- Sand Baggery & Zingers (aphilosopher.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney Has His Debate Zingers All Ready To Go (nymag.com)
- CNN to Air Interviews with Michelle Obama, Ann Romney Ahead of First Debate (cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com)
- President Obama, Mitt Romney to square off in first debate (fox6now.com)
- First debate sets up moment of high-risk theater (news.yahoo.com)
- Obamas’ wedding anniversary lands on debate night (wjla.com)
- Obamas’ wedding anniversary lands on debate night (seattletimes.com)
TPM has posted a 100 second summary of last night’s DNC. I love these things:
- No balloons to close Democratic convention (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Democratic Convention Opens With Pitch to Middle Class – NYTimes.com (policyabcs.wordpress.com)
- Conventions on; funding a mystery (charlotteobserver.com)
Lihn is mother to little Zoe Lihn, a child born with a congenital heart defect, who already has needed three open-heart surgeries which would, in all likelihood, push her close to, or past, her insurance company’s lifetime coverage limit. Lihn told the crowd that President Obama‘s health care reform law “is saving my daughter’s life,” and made it clear that if Mitt Romney is elected, and makes good on his promise to repeal Obamacare, the consequences for Zoe would be disastrous.
“Governor Romney says people like me were most excited about President Obama the day we voted for him. But that’s not true. Not even close. For me, there was the day the Affordable Care Act passed, and I no longer had to worry about getting Zoe the care she needed. There was a day the letter arrived from the insurance company saying our daughter’s lifetime cap had been lifted. There was the day the Supreme Court upheld Obamacare… And like so many moms with sick kids, I shed tears.”
Lihn went on to outline what Zoe’s future would be after the election of a Romney/Ryan ticket:
“If Mitt Romney becomes president, and Obamacare is repealed, there’s a good chance she’ll hit her lifetime cap. There’s no way we could afford to pay for all of the care she needs to survive. When you have a sick child, it’s always in the back of your mind and sometimes, in the front of your mind. On top of that, worrying that people would let an insurance company take away her health care just because of politics? One in one 100 children are born with a congenital heart defect. President Obama is fighting for them. He’s fighting for families like mine, and we need to fight for him.”
The audience’s response to Lihn and her family, who appeared next to her on the podium, was highly emotional and supportive. Certainly, this was a speech that everyone would remember when they think of Obamacare… I know I will.
Conventions are a lot like commercials for political positions and and, like commercials, help the voter determine which brand to buy. The big difference between Republicans and Democrats on this issue is that people will remember the major positions: The Republicans will dismantle Obamacare and cut Medicare and Medicaid using the money to afford tax cuts for the rich. The Democrats made it clear that if Republicans are elected a little girl will die.
How the Republicans deal with the actual results of their campaign goals can easily affect voters. There is no way they can make their cuts sound beneficial to sick children.
- DNC Speaker Stacy Lihn: Obamacare ‘Is Saving My Daughter’s Life’ (mediaite.com)
- Mother Stacey Lihn praises Obamacare for saving her daughter’s life (guardian.co.uk)
- Dems wear ‘Obamacare’ label proudly (politico.com)
- Five key moments from Tuesday night at the Democratic National Convention (pennlive.com)
The Convention opens at 5:00 PM when Chair of the Democratic National Committee, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, brings down the gavel. Harry Reid, Rahm Emanuel, Joseph Kennedy III (one of several in the Kennedy family honoring the late Ted Kennedy) and Kal Penn, among others, speak tonight.
- Democratic Convention Schedule. Who speaks when Tuesday night (blogs.suntimes.com)
- WATCH: Democratic National Convention (kfor.com)
- DNC releases schedule, Castro on after 9 p.m. (statesman.com)
- At DNC, Julián Castro Tackles Comparisons To President Obama – NPR (blog) (npr.org)
- First lady previews speech (kfwbam.com)
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz: DNC Will Be Very Different From Special Interest-Funded, Corporate Infused, Invitation-Only RNC (foxnewsinsider.com)
Kal Penn will be hosting live coverage of the convention on BarackObama.com.
Kal Penn and the First Lady rehearse for the convention. The First Lady speaks tonight.
- Harold and Kumar Help Obama Promo Democratic National Convention (mashable.com)
- First Lady arrives at Time Warner Cable Arena (charlotteobserver.com)
- TV/Film Actor Kal Penn To Host Democratic Convention’s Livestream Celebrity Special (deadline.com)
- When Michelle Met Kumar (buzzfeed.com)
- Michelle Obama Preps for Democratic National Convention (justjared.com)
- Kal Penn leads celebrity political panel at Democrat National Convention (hollywood.com)
Did you know that Girl Scouts were dangerous? According to Indiana state representative Bob Morris (Republican, natch), the Girls Scouts of America is a radical organization that promotes homosexuality and abortion, is a front for Planned Parenthood and is out to destroy American values.
Of course he is being roundly ridiculed for his position, even within his own party… but he won’t back down:
“My family and I took a view and we’re sticking by it. My girls are no longer Girl Scouts. They’re now going to join American Heritage Girls.”
Morris said he made his discoveries after talking to some knowledgeable constituents and conducting “a small amount of Web-based research.” He concluded that the Girl Scouts encourage sexual activity endorse feminist, lesbian and Communist agendas. He pointed out that First Lady Michelle Obama is honorary president of the Girl Scouts of America and that
“should give each of us reason to pause before our individual and collective endorsement of the organization.”
Planned Parenthood has released a statement denying any connection to the scouting group. The Girl Scouts of America did not address Morris’ individual claims, but said:
“Regarding Representative Morris, if the freshman representative wishes to discredit the contributions that hundreds of thousands of Indiana women and girls have made through the Girl Scouts program over the last 100 years, then he’s entitled to his opinion. Not only is Rep. Morris off the mark on his claims, it’s also unfortunate in his limited research that he failed to discover that since 1917, every First Lady has served as the honorary leader of Girl Scouts including Nancy Reagan, Barbara Bush and Laura Bush.”
This is REALLY the year of the CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN FOLLIES… What do you think will come next?
- Taking A Stand Against Girl Scouts of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- US: Girl Scouts Sexualising Recruits, Claims Republican Bob Morris (ibtimes.com)
- Lawmaker: Girl Scouts Promote Homosexuality (newsy.com)
- Some Homophobic Lawmaker From Indiana Sent This Letter About The Girl Scouts To His Republican Colleagues (buzzfeed.com)
- Indiana Legislator Refuses To Honor “Radical” Girl Scouts (buzzfeed.com)
- Radical Girl Scouts out to destroy American family values (dvorak.org)