Nichelle Nichols (who looks great at age 81) visits Star Trek fan Barack Obama in the White House (photo submitted to Facebook by her co-actor George Takei).
Here’s a comment that told me something I didn’t realize:
Anthony Curi (on Facebook) made this comment:
Towards the end of the first season, she became jaded after being written into the background and nearly left the show. However, a letter from one particular viewer changed her mind.
Here’s an essay I did a while ago… it still applies. Sorry I’m being lazy on this holiday…
This is the Holiday which, as far as I can tell, is designed for Car Dealers more than it is to revere the men who made our country great.
When I was growing up we had separate holidays for Washington’s Birthday and Lincoln’s Birthday. They first honored the man who was our first President and who led us through the military activities of the Revolution. We also remember every year that he voluntarily stepped down after two terms when he could easily have become a lifetime American King. The second holiday honored the man who kept our nation together, freed the slaves and suffered assassination.
These holidays were originally held on actual birthdates, no matter where in the week they fell (Washington on the 22nd, Lincoln on the 12th). Then, as holidays and long weekends became inextricably connected in order to satisfy labor demands, they were moved to nearest Mondays on a regular basis. When it became clear from our corporate citizens (as defined by the Supreme Court last month) that we had too many holidays throwing business off… and wanting to make room for a holiday for Martin Luther King (highly deserved, btw), the birthdays of the two Presidents were combined into President’s Day.
Without a particular focus on a particular President, the holiday was easily co-opted by automobile dealers as the big sale holiday designed to get folks to part with money in the bleak month of February, thus cleaning out inventories before the Spring announcement of new models for the coming year. And that seems to be where we have stayed.
So happy President’s Day. Take the kids who are out of school with you to run around the showrooms (that will act as necessary protective measure… salesmen will get to their price more quickly just to get the little devils out of their sales area) as you shop for new wheels.
Have a good time.
I’m getting ready for a solar energy presentation at Town Hall this evening. Actually, that’s a good way to celebrate Presidents Day… energy awareness makes the country better.
- Happy President’s Day: Do You Know Why We Celebrate President’s Day, How it Happened or Who Invented It? (thehispanicblog.com)
- Presidents Day 2012: Fly your flag today (timpanogos.wordpress.com)
- Happy Presidents’ Day (geneveith.com)
- President’s Day 2012 (hamrodallas.com)
- Historic and Fun Couples’ Getaways for Presidents Day Weekend (redenvelope.com)
- Nixon, Reagan Libraries Mark Presidents Day Holiday With Special Events (losangeles.cbslocal.com)
- When Freedom’s Ring Isn’t a Cash Register’s (cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com)
Had he lived, MLK would have been 83 this year. In his memory, we have today as a holiday and hope not to celebrate our day off, but to perform a service to the country… a kind of holiday that doesn’t exist elsewhere.
Elly is in her fifth year or so of producing the Martin Luther King Day program over at Hagerstown Community College… a program that has speakers (this year Ambassador Daouda Diabate from the Ivory Coast) and creates graphic design posters using King’s quotations.
I hope everyone has a good day.
“A true revolution of values will lay hand on the world order and say of war, “This way of settling differences is not just… A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”
– Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- 10 Martin Luther King, Jr. Quotations (huffingtonpost.com)
- “Day of Service for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day” and related posts (my.barackobama.com)
- “Martin Luther King Day coming up Monday, January 17” and related posts (personalmoneystore.com)
If you didn’t. check out the HuffPo article below:
- Stewart, Colbert: ‘Rally To Restore Sanity’ vs. ‘March To Keep Fear Alive’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Stewart, Colbert to Hold D.C. Rallies (cbsnews.com)
- Jon Stewart Announces ‘Rally to Restore Sanity’ (blogs.forbes.com)
- Stewart and Colbert announce ‘Rally To Restore Sanity’ and ‘March To Keep Fear Alive’ (inquisitr.com)
An appropriate quote on You Tube where I found this revealing video of interviews on the Mall:
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
– Sinclair Lewis
In about 90 minutes from the time I’m entering this, Glenn Beck will be starting his rally on the anniversary of Martin Luther King‘s “I Have a Dream” speech and the Teabag/conservative types will work for a return to the white America of the Reagan days.
This is a good day to keep the television off and read a good book.