Those of you who are regulars on this blog, or who have heard me question some of the candidates for Governor in West Virginia, know of my concerns with Hydro Fracturing or “Fracking” to remove natural gas from shale. So far I have had no satisfactory responses from candidates, Democrat or Republican, to my concerns. They ALL think this can be made safe (it can’t) and they will make sure it is. Between you and me, they are all getting campaign funds from the Natural Gas industry.
If you have seen the movie “Gasland,” you know some of the problems that are related to this practice of pumping toxic chemicals mixed with water into underground shale… chemicals that get into the water supply and pollute rivers and streams. You all know the extremes… faucets with flaming water, cows in fields dying from poisoned grazing land, rivers being polluted and the toxins heading downstream and eventually into great water areas like the Chesapeake bay.
Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D., ecologist, poet, mother, and activist gave an incredible speech during a rally in Albany NY, May 2, 2011, to ban fracking in NY state. Sandra’s story about her cancer and finding out that her cancer is linked to the drinking water or her hometown became a movie called Living Downstream (www.livingdownstream.com), based on a book she wrote about her discoveries.
Here’s the speech.
If you speak with candidates before you vote and you live in any of the states that contain the Marcellus Shale (NY, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Tennessee, etc.), make sure you bring up the issue… and see if YOU get a satisfactory answer.
- Chemicals and breast cancer (helpforcancer.wordpress.com)
- Fracking Chemicals Cited in Congressional Report Stay Underground (cozumelianblogger.wordpress.com)
- Major Fracking Accident in Pennsylvania… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Why Natural Gas Companies Fear Josh Fox, Gasland and the Oscars by Sarah Laskow (theboldcorsicanflame.wordpress.com)
- Ten Fracking Things Everyone Should Know (mb50.wordpress.com)
- WTF: What the frack is hydraulic fracturing? (pennlive.com)
- Young girls reaching puberty earlier and in larger numbers (cogsciblog.wordpress.com)
- Lawsuit against government, Encana highlights ‘fracking’ environmental issues: Lawyer (calgaryherald.com)
- Lawsuit has broad implications for fracking across continent, lawyer says (canada.com)