The other day, in a long and meaningful speech based on his own experience, Senator John McCain lashed out at the support of waterboarding by his fellow Republicans.
Everything I’ve read shows that we would not have gotten this information as to who this man was if it had not been gotten information from people who were subject to enhanced interrogation. And so this idea that we didn’t ask that question while Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was being waterboarded, he doesn’t understand how enhanced interrogation works. I mean, you break somebody, and after they’re broken, they become cooperative. And that’s when we got this information. And one thing led to another, and led to another, and that’s how we ended up with bin Laden.
Perhaps Santorum forgets that McCain was held and tortured by the North Vietnamese and bases his opinion on real experience. McCain has even written that he did not become cooperative under “enhanced interrogation” at all, and in fact gave his tormentors false information to get them to stop.
So in response to the question of what does McCain think of Rick Santorum’s comment, McCain spokesperson Brooke Buchanan made a one word reply:
(Source: Justin Elliott in Salon)
- Rick Santorum Says John McCain Doesn’t Understand Interrogation (alan.com)
- Santorum Says McCain Doesn’t Understand Enhanced Interrogation (themoderatevoice.com)
- Santorum doesn’t think John McCain understands how torture works (americablog.com)
- Rick Santorum says Sen. John McCain, an ex-POW, doesn’t understand the effectiveness of harsh interrogation (pennlive.com)
- Santorum Denies McCain Experience With Torture (lezgetreal.com)
- UnCatholic Quote of the Day (vgiordano.wordpress.com)
- More on Santorum’s Torture Expertise and Experience (themoderatevoice.com)
- Santorum: Still dumber than a bag of hammers…. (tagg-lines.com)
- Rick Santorum: Obama Didn’t Get Bin Laden (alan.com)
I have to agree with Senator Leahy… it looks like Obama has once again pulled in with conservatives who were pushing for the military courts instead of standing up for his 2008 campaign promises. Boy, I wish he’d quit doing that.
- 9/11 Mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed To Face Military Tribunal At Guantanamo Bay (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Obama Administration To Abandon Plans For Civilian Trials For 9/11 Plotters (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Obama’s First 2012 Election Stunt: Militayr Trials for KSM and Four 911 Muslim Terrorists (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Accused 9/11 mastermind to face military tribunal (cnn.com)
- Breaking: KSM to get military commission trial (hotair.com)
- 9/11 suspect to be tried at Guantanamo (rt.com)
- KSM to be tried by military commission at Gitmo (cbsnews.com)
Why, a Repiglican who is trying to scare voters about terrorist trials happening in New York. When Mayor Bloomberg gave his support to President Obama’s decision to try Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other Guantanamo detainees in NYC, Congressman John Shadegg (R-AZ) came out with the following:
It is hard to imagine the insufferable weakness of the Repiglican Party.