“We’re making the Earth a more dynamic and violent place. … We’re trapping more of the sun’s energy in this narrow envelope of atmosphere, and that’s now expressing itself in many ways. We don’t know for sure that any particular tornado comes from climate change. There have always been tornadoes. We do know that we’re seeing epic levels of thunderstorm activity, of flooding, of drought, of all the things that climatologists have been warning us about.”
Something else we are not doing anything about…don’t you wonder, as Amy Goodman says, “Why aren’t the TV meteorologists, with each story, following the words ‘extreme weather‘ with another two, ‘climate change’?”
Elly and I have cut down on our electricity use, kept our driving to necessities only, and kept the air conditioner off unless the heat becomes unbearable. We try to buy products from companies who have a positive carbon reduction plan as well.
Now all we need is politicians to get behind this as well and keep their great lobbying energy company supporters (are you listening Rockefeller, Manchin, Capito?) at bay. Right now, it doesn’t look like it.
As I started watching the Ed Show tonight on MSNBC, Ed came out and did a long apology to Laura Ingraham, to MSNBC, to his wife and family and to his audience for making a low and insulting statement, apparently as an improvisation, on his radio show.
This was the statement:
“You see, she was back in the days, praising President Reagan when he was drinking a beer overseas. But now that Obama’s doing it, they’re working him over.”
In his statement, Ed said he had been trying to get Ingraham on the phone to apologize in person, has left a message stating his apology and will continue trying to reach her.
Ingraham responded with cool understatement and claws extended.
“I was surprised to learn that Ed Schultz actually hosted a radio show,” she said. “Is it available only on line.”
Ingraham added a remark about “men who preach civility but practice misogyny.”
Separated at Birth
Then there was her statement on Nancy Pelosi in November of 2009:
“Nancy Pelosi basically did everything except sell her own body” (to pass health care reform bill).
There was her comment about how “black people” love ribs, followed by another statement on Michelle Obama back in November of 2010:
“Michelle’s lunch was baby back ribs. Afternoon snack, more ribs. Bedtime snack, the last three ribs!”
- Democrat’s Civility – Call Republican Woman a SLUT on National TV (dewgeneral.wordpress.com)
- MSNBC’s Ed Schultz suspended after calling Laura Ingraham a “Right-Wing Talk Slut.” (chicagonow.com)
- More misogyny at MSNBC: Neanderthal host attacks Laura Ingraham as a “slut” (michellemalkin.com)
- Harry Alford of the Black Chamber of Commerce talks to Laura Ingram on Obama (politics.ie)
Here in our area we have been soaked with long-running rains (although we are now in a two or three day dry period) and our rivers and streams are high and running with strong currents. I took my dogs for a walk today down by the Potomac and they didn’t have to go very far down the boat launch ramp to get their feet in the water.
- Joplin, Missouri to Get Hit with More Tornadoes Today? (planetsave.com)
- Possible tornado reported in Oklahoma (cnn.com)
- Severe weather threatens south central Plains, Joplin – CNN International (news.google.com)
- More Tornadoes Headed for Joplin as Death Toll Hits Record (abcnews.go.com)
- Joplin, Missouri, Tornado Deadliest on Record (abcnews.go.com)
- Breaking: Tornadoes Hitting Oklahoma City (minx.cc)
- Tornado Ally (writingsluts.wordpress.com)
- Oklahoma weather (cowboytoursofokla.com)
- The Concord Stormchaser searches for more tornadoes after Joplin tragedy (boston.com)