Here is why we have to keep Romney and his buddies away from controlling America:
So liberals are Nazis and are going to gas Christians like Nazis did Jews in WWII era. Also, I don’t think Christians in America are a minority… hopefully only the ones who share Pat Robertson‘s obscene attack. And Robertson sees Romney as his buddy.
- Romney campaigner Pat Robertson tells man to beat his wife (americablog.com)
- Pat Robertson to humiliated hubby: ‘Well, you could become a Muslim and you could beat her’ (rawstory.com)
- Jews Must Be Converted | American Right Wing Nuts’ Hates Fest (theageofblasphemy.wordpress.com)
- FRCWC Says Shame on You Pat Robertson (peacemattershere.wordpress.com)
- Mitt Romney’s new economic message: Keep the word ‘God’ on coins (dailykos.com)
- Romney/Ryan 2012: Pallin’ around with terrorists (dailykos.com)
Perhaps he’s got a distorted sense of humor…how could anyone think he really believes what he said?
Then he attempted to clarify his comment, but added to the controversy instead. His quote:
A reporter asked LePage if the IRS was headed in that direction, and he said it was.
When asked if he thought the IRS was going to kill a lot of people like the Nazis, LePage said:
When do gubernatorial elections come up again in Maine? This guy has really got to go. In one small set of statements he has offended Americans, Maine voters and Jews everywhere…and he doesn’t even know it.
- LePage tells Vt. reporter IRS is not as bad as the Gestapo – yet (bangordailynews.com)
- Maine Governor: IRS Is ‘Headed’ In The Direction Of Killing A Lot Of People (huffingtonpost.com)
- Maine Governor Paul LePage Acknowledges That It Is Possible the IRS Is Not Quite As Bad As the Nazi Secret Police at This Very Moment (nymag.com)
- Maine gov: IRS ‘headed’ in Gestapo’s path (content.usatoday.com)
- Maine Republican Gov. Paul LePage says the IRS is going to kill a lot of people – seriously (dailykos.com)
- An open letter to Governor Paul LePage: (thenewquakeragitator.wordpress.com)
- Maine Governor Calls Obamacare’s IRS Agents the “New Gestapo” (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Maine governor draws ire with new IRS ‘Gestapo’ comments (vancouverdesi.com)
- Maine gov calls IRS ‘new Gestapo’ in radio speech (sacbee.com)
As a “Kind Atheist” being preferred by any God is a gift I do not require, nor would I open it if received.
However, “Hateful Christians” are in the same category to me as “Hateful Muslims” or “Hateful Jews” or even “Hateful Atheists.” Being hateful is one of the reasons this whole world has been steadily going to pot.
- Atheists: The God Haters! (firstcapricorn.wordpress.com)
- Do Christians believe in atheists? UBC study finds believers distrust atheists as much as rapists (ahmadiyyamuslimtimes.wordpress.com)
- Exactly (doubleplusundead.com)
- Top Ten Benfits of Being an Atheist (uglicoyote.wordpress.com)
- Passover and Easter: Great fun for atheists (dangeroustalk.net)
Actual photo, from the Rose City Park United Methodist Church, in Portland, Oregon.
The sign got a mention in Larry Bingham’s column in The Oregonian, and he says it’s making more headlines.
The Rose City Park United Methodist Church minister’s recent sign, which says “God Prefers Kind Atheists over Hateful Christians” is making headlines all over the place.
My colleague, Religion Writer Nancy Haught, cites it in her story on the shifting terminology between “religion” and “Christian.” And The Christian Post also has a story.
Tip of the old scrub brush to Kathy Paxton-Williams.
“Tens, even hundreds, of thousands of Jewish people in the last decades have come to their Messiah. And so Lord, we pray for the revival around the world, and for Israel to come to their own Messiah.”
Apparently people of all religions were invited to Perry’s Rally… as long as they were willing to convert to his religion in the process.
Can’t we get religion out of politics (and government) once and for all?
- The NAR and Perry Go Large (barthsnotes.wordpress.com)
- Colbert Blames S&P For Ignoring ‘America’s Most Valued Asset, Jesus’ (Enter Rick Perry) (mediaite.com)
- Lawrence O’Donnell: Gov. Rick Perry ‘Is Married To The Idea’ That Catholicism Is ‘A False Cult System’ (mediaite.com)
- Rick Perry To Evangelicals: I’m One Of You (huffingtonpost.com)
There’s more at care2.com:
- Arizona: America’s Top Producer of Stupid (redquixote.wordpress.com)
- Arizona GOP to Obama: Show Us Your Circumcision Certificate (alternet.org)
- Arizona Passes Birther Bill (themoderatevoice.com)
- Ariz. lawmakers OK ‘birther’ bill – USA Today (news.google.com)
Thursday 10 March 2011
On this day, it behooves us to remember the words of Martin Niemoller.
“First they came for the communists, and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn’t speak out because I wasn’t a Jew. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me.”
I am a trade unionist, and yesterday in Wisconsin, they came for me. They came for you. They came for every working person in America, and their intent could not be more clear. Governor Scott Walker, along with the Koch Brothers and the right-wing radicals of the Republican Party, moved in darkness and with shameless deceit to gut the ability of dedicated laborers to bargain on an equal footing for the right to earn a living wage and to have access to decent health care.
by: William Rivers Pitt, t r u t h o u t | Op-Ed (there is more)
- Pastor Martin Niemoller recalls a troubled time (atung.net)
- Deja Vu all over again? (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- The Lessons of History (lezgetreal.com)
It is even more offensive a term in a public message when we consider that Gabrielle Giffords is Jewish. I certainly wonder what the Half Gov. of Alaska was thinking here… did someone write this speech for her (say Glenn Beck?) or are these her own words?
False Accusations of Blood Libel go back to the Middle Ages, as in this document from the Trial of the Jews of Trent in 1478.
- What is “Blood Libel?” (politicalwire.com)
- Sarah Palin’s Statement On Arizona Tragedy Oddly Uses “Blood Libel” (alan.com)
- Palin charges critics with ‘blood libel’ (politico.com)
- Sarah Palin incorrectly uses term “blood libel” to defend herself (shortformblog.com)
- Jewish Republicans muted on Palin’s ‘blood libel’ comment (thehill.com)
- Why Palin’s ‘Blood Libel’ Speech Was Wrong (thedailybeast.com)
- You: Tea Party figurehead says attacks on her are ‘blood libel’ (guardian.co.uk)
Have you been following this? John and I discussed it on the radio show last Friday. Ohio Congressional candidate Rich Iott has a rather unusual hobby of dressing up as a member of the 5th SS Wiking Panzer Division, a unit in the German army during World War II.
Interviewing him, Anderson Cooper got Iott to state really unfortunate excuses for his activities. Cooper pointed out that one member of the 5th was recently charged with the murder of 58 Jews. Iott replied: “The war on the eastern front was extremely brutal on both sides. Nobody was lily-white, that’s for sure. Horrible things that happened on both sides.”
Iott has been scrubbed from the Republicans‘ Young Guns website since revelations about his reenacting surfaced.
Thanks to Talking Points Memo.
- GOP House Candidate Rich Iott Ups His Nazi Dressup Defense (oliverwillis.com)
- Terry Canaan’s News Roundup for 10/12/2010 (grantlawrence.blogspot.com)
- Eric Cantor and GOP Young Guns Repudiate Nazi Re-enactor Rich Iott (mediaite.com)
- What Made GOP Candidate Rich Iott Want To Dress Up As A Nazi? Must Have Been The Recruitment Video (alan.com)
By JERUSALEM POST STAFF
Punishment for performance in front of “mixed audience.”
Yechiel, who said, “I accept upon myself the lashing for my sins,” was ordered to stand by a wooden poll with his head facing north (“from whence the evil inclination comes”), his hands tied with a azure-colored rope (“a symbol of mercy”), and served his “sentence.”
Just because it makes me laugh my head off, I’ve added Sam Hoffman’s brilliant site Old Jews Telling Jokes under the new category “strictly for entertainment.”
This is the Second Season and it will have you rolling on the floor whether you’re Jewish or not (I’m not… but my wife is).
Have a good time.
I’ve spent the better part of the afternoon flipping the television channels to hear more report about this 88 year old monster who killed a guard in his attempt to kill even more people at the Holocaust Museum in D.C.
This was a guy that the authorities KNEW ABOUT. He ran a web site which attacked Jews, Blacks and Catholics. He self-published a book that he gave the first six chapters of away for free on line (then advertising the last six chapters for money).
He had served 6 and a half years of an 11 year sentence in the 1980s for kidnapping Federal workers while armed. And yet he had guns. He brought a rifle to the Holocaust Museum and started shooting in the lobby.
Republicans who always insist on the right to bear arms and a Republican dominated Supreme Court that has recently declared it legal to bring firearms to National Parks and Monuments will be babbling away tomorrow on how this is above and beyond the legal protection of guns.
Fox News spent a lot of time with the local Washington D.C. Fox reporters talking live from outside the Museum. Wolf Blitzer scored a Coup at CNN by having former Secretary Bill Cohen and hs wife (who is directing a theatre piece at the Museum) talk about his experience 30 feet away from the shooter when it happened (Mrs. Cohen was on the way in by car and wasn’t allowed inside at the scene.) MSNBC put it as the first item on all their afternoon shows.
I watched all of them and searched around the web picking up more. This was a devastating event. Add it to the Murder of Dr. Tiller the other day and you wonder if the far right loonies are going to continue to pop out of the bushes to make themselves known the only way they feel good about.
As I write this, I am over at Full Circle Theater in Shepherdstown, WV, where we are getting ready for a touring production of POUND, a play about Ezra Pound, the particularly anti-Semitic poet who was held at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital for 19 years after WWII, which he had spent in Italy supporting Mussolini and Hitler. In the play a young, Jewish doctor eventually gets him to realize a great deal of guilt for the radio broadcasts that caused the Italian police to kill her parents.
But I don’t think people really know how evil this guy who attacked the Holocaust Museum is.
Nor do I think they realize how easily this could happen again.