“The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.”
Let’s also look at how religious differences world wide are working against us. I don’t think control of the Muslim Brotherhood is in our purview… but having extreme right Baptist preachers pushing anti-Muslim sentiments worldwide is bound to cause an extreme response.
- Romney ratchets ups God rhetoric (tydicea.newsvine.com)
- Adams vs. Jefferson: The Birth of Negative Campaigning in the U.S. (mentalfloss.com)
- Conservative Congressman Blasts Bachmann’s Anti-Muslim Allegations, Stands Up For Religious Liberty (thinkprogress.org)
- Recalling Revisionist History (kennysideshow.blogspot.com)
- ‘Historian’ David Barton’s book on Thomas Jefferson pulled from stores (rawstory.com)
- President Taqiyya misrepresents “Jefferson’s quran” at White House iftar dinner (atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com)
- Thomas Jefferson Asks: Liberty or Economy? (powerorliberty.wordpress.com)
Saturday, in the early afternoon having returned home after my WSHC show, I had a seizure walking up the basement stairs from the laundry. The next time I knew anything, I was being rolled into an MRI at Jefferson County Hospital.
Everything else, to me, is blank.
It looks like I fell down the stairs, hit the concrete floor and slid over to a wall with a stack of paintings on it.
Fortunately, Elly was just returning home and heard the thud. When she found me she couldn’t wake me up so she called 911. They got me to Jefferson.
Any movement on my left side or moving my left arm meant excruciating pain. I screamed a lot. JCH then decided I needed specialty trauma care abd sent me down to Inova Fairfax in Virginia… a place if you were my worst enemy I would NOT send you.
I finally got out last night. Now comes six months of healing and pain reduction.
- how i know i’m getting chubby (fumblymusings.wordpress.com)
- The Need for Overlapping Interventions: Just One Won’t Do It (diseasemanagementcareblog.blogspot.com)
- Test Your MR Safety Knowledge with Falck Productions MRI Safety Week Quiz (prweb.com)
- Students test how strong a 4 tesla MRI magnet is (geek.com)
- Jockey suffers broken collar bone after spill at Churchill Downs (wave3.com)
Jeffrey Alexander Brathwaite wrote that as a young African-American in the ’70s, he didn’t have many role models:
“But in George Jefferson I witnessed weekly the fortitude and drive of a successful Black businessman. In a time where pimps and denim were all the rage, I marveled at this endearingly brazen Manhattan penthouse-dweller who owned a dry cleaning chain and had a preference for smart 3-piece suits.”
The Jeffersons ran for 11 seasons and ended in 1985.
“Although he retired from television acting, Hemsley joined [Isabel] Sanford through the late ’90s and early 2000s to reprise their roles as George and Louise ‘Weezy’ Jefferson on guest spots. The duo appeared on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air and in commercials for Old Navy, Gap and Denny’s.”
Here’s our memories:
Helmsley died in El Paso, Texas, of natural causes.
- Black people in the news – celebrity black out (bonjupatten.com)
- ‘Jeffersons’ star Sherman Hemsley dies at 74 (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- You: Sherman Hemsley, TV’s George Jefferson, dies at 74 (latimes.com)
- ‘The Jeffersons’ star Sherman Hemsley dies at 74 (tv.yahoo.com)
- Sherman Hemsley, star of ‘Jeffersons,’ dies at 74 (wwltv.com)
- Sherman Helmsley, Father On “The Jeffersons,” Dies (thinkprogress.org)
- Obits: Sherman Hemsley (1938-2012) (dayandadream.com)
8:00PM to 08:45PM
Hosted by Rod Snyder
Event Description:The Jefferson County Young Democrats, Shepherd University Young Democrats and Jefferson County NAACP will hold a candlelight vigil to honor the life and work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and to emphasize the ongoing struggle for civil rights and worker rights.
One of 1000 Demonstrations Nationwide. Be There!
I’ve just put a Dunleavy for County Commissioner sign out on my front lawn, which means I guess I’m committing myself to an Independent, something I haven’t done in a couple of elections. I am in agreement with just about all of his stands… especially keeping the PATH line out of Jefferson County, supporting and expanding the National Parks (Harper’s Ferry, Civil War Trails, etc.), Modification of the Zoning Ordinance, etc.
I listened to John Case’s hour and a half interview with Ed Dunleavy yesterday, after having heard Paul Taylor, the Democrat, a while ago, and having heard Delegate John Doyle’s comments on the Independent two weeks ago, also on John’s show (is anyone else covering local politics at this depth around here?). I was very impressed with Ed’s comments and the fact that he didn’t avoid directly talking to the issues… not something you always get around here. His financial accountancy background stands out with his concern with “the books” on the County Commission’s work (not something you hear from other candidates or current Commissioners whose function, after all, is to spend our money.)
The Republican will be on John’s show next week, but he would have to go a long way to get me interested in him. Next Thursday (October 14) at 7PM all the candidates will debate at War Memorial Building—Shepherdstown Men’s Club. This should be a place to make a final decision. If you are from Jefferson County, go there and ask the questions which will define their potential as Commissioners.
“Jefferson taught that every government degenerates when it is left to the rulers alone, because rulers–by the very act of ruling–misuse the public trust. The people themselves, he said, are the only prudent repository of power.”
I love Ramona’s writing… and this quote about Jefferson reflects on our own time.