This article by Hrafnkell Haraldsson is in PoliticusUSA today. I’m giving you the first couple of paragraphs, but this is a long, well-thought out piece which continues the thinking I started earlier about religion and politics. In fact I was startled to discover a quote from Jefferson from the same document!
As you read it you discover that in a Romney America, “my god is bigger than your god. And your god doesn’t get any First Amendment protections because, well, it really isn’t a religion in the first place, is it? It’s a cult. Cults aren’t protected.” That certainly puts Islam in the gut bucket.
Anyway – here’s the start:
Can you imagine a United States where the president and vice president hate the world’s second largest religion and invite into White House councils those who advocate military action against whoever we feel might be a threat, including, particularly, Iran.
That’s the scenario being faced, incredibly enough, by the people of the United States. President Obama’s pragmatic, sober approach to diplomacy has restored the reputation of the United States and we are on the verge of escaping both long wars embarked upon by the Bush administration.
But Mitt Romney wants to abrogate control of America’s foreign policy – to Israel – which wants to attack Iran. He may have noticed we just got done with a nearly-ten-year-long-war in Iran’s neighbor, Iraq. He may have noticed that we are still engaged in Afghanistan, a place even Alexander the Great could not entirely subdue, a place that was a graveyard and charnel house for the mighty Soviet Union.
And now he wants to involve us in an attack on Iran.
OK… read the rest of it HERE. You’ll be glad you did.
- Liberal Smear: Romney’s War for the Jews (commentarymagazine.com)
- Romney campaign quickly distances itself from Mitt’s statement of support for Obama’s Iran policy (dailykos.com)
- Romney and Obama Share Iran ‘Red Line’ (abcnews.go.com)
- Romney Struggles to Distinguish Iran Red Line From Obama’s (nytimes.com)
There are two upsetting I got from the news when I turned it on at 6:00 AM and which has made this the start of a very bad day.
1. Attacks at the US Embassies by Islamic terrorists in Egypt and Libya. Our Libyan Ambassador Chris Stevens was killed with three other Americans, at least one was a diplomat. The Egyptian Embassy was breached, the American flag was taken and destroyed and replaced with an Islamic flag.
The provocation for these attacks was apparently an internet post of an amateur video satirizing the Prophet Muhammad. It seems that the Islamic press claimed this as a major Hollywood film done as revenge against Islamists for 9/11.
2. Although the two Presidential campaigns had come to an agreement that there would be no attacking each other on 9/11, Mitt Romney blasted the President and his administration for being “sympathetic” to the embassy attackers – calling Obama’s response to the incidents “disgraceful”. He did this at 10 PM last night defying the agreement between his and Obama’s campaigns.
“Obama sympathizes with attackers in Egypt. Sad and pathetic.”
– Republican National Committee chair Reince Priebus
Obama waited to respond until after midnight when the day of remembrance was over. He announced his consolation to the families of the victims and his outrage at the incidents. Then he made everyone aware of his aggravation with Romney’s statement.
“We are shocked that, at a time when the United States of America is confronting the tragic death of one of our diplomatic officers in Libya, Governor Romney would choose to launch a political attack.”
– Obama’s campaign press secretary Ben LaBolt
I would have to agree that I think Romney’s remarks were both unfortunate and representative of his unknowledgable command of foreign policy. That he showed lack of support for his country and its administration at a time of National crisis and at a time in which he had pledged to remain in non-attack mode in his campaign, would make Romney less than reliable as a President.
- 1 Dead as Islamists Storm US Missions in Libya, Egypt (Guest Voice) (themoderatevoice.com)
- ” Disgraceful ! “ (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Romney: Obama handling of Libya, Egypt violence ‘disgraceful’ (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- American ambassador to Libya killed by protesters, Al Arabiya reports (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Romney slams Obama over attacks on US officials in Libya, Egypt (nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com)
- Attacks and protests in Libya and Egypt over Prophet Muhammad film (oddonion.com)
- U.S. Embassy Attacked: CNN Breaking News @ 14:06 EDST, From Egypt… Then Libya, No Comments From Obama (askmarion.wordpress.com)
- Romney Slams the Obama Administration’s Response to Embassy Attacks (nationalreview.com)
- American killed in Libya protest over anti-Muslim film – CBC.ca (cbc.ca)
- Breaking: US ambassador to Libya dead, 3 staff members also reportedly killed in rocket attack (riehlworldview.com)