Just when we thought there might be some federal control over the spread of genetically modified vegetables and grains, a so-called “Monsanto rider” has been quietly slipped into the multi-billion dollar FY 2013 Agricultural Appropriations bill. This would require – not just allow, but require – the Secretary of Agriculture to grant a temporary permit for the planting or cultivation of a genetically engineered crop, even if a federal court has ordered the planting be halted until an Environmental Impact Statement is completed.
All the farmer or the biotech producer has to do is ask, and the questionable crops could be released into the environment where they could potentially contaminate organic crops and lay waste to a healthy food supply.
Unless the Senate or a citizen’s army of farmers and consumers can stop them, the Republican (read “industry”) dominated House of Representatives is likely to make this dangerous rider the law very soon.
Ceding broad and unprecedented powers to industry, the rider poses a direct threat to the authority of U.S. courts, jettisons the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) established oversight powers on key agriculture issues and puts the nation’s farmers and food supply at risk.
In other words, if this single line in the 90-page Agricultural Appropriations bill slips through, it’s Independence Day for the biotech industry, and Monsanto comes out on top.
This is the time to contact your Representative and complain… by telephone and in writing… to keep the “Monsanto Rider” out of the law.
- Monsanto rider: New bill could make biotech companies immune to courts (rt.com)
- The ‘Monsanto Rider’: Are Biotech Companies About to Gain Immunity from Federal Law? (blacklistednews.com)
- Monsanto rider: New bill could make biotech companies immune to courts – RT (2012indyinfo.com)
- Monsanto rider: New bill could make biotech companies immune to courts (EndtheLie.com)
Here we are, in the midst of a heat wave with still over a million of our neighbors in the mid-Atlantic states out of power, and it is the 4th of July.
While not the most pleasant 4th we have had over the past few years, we are happy that the health care law still stands and our population is starting to wise up. Obama‘s numbers are rising, and that’s a positive happening.
So have a nice holiday… but stay out of the heat if you can. We are going to the first plays of the CATF tonight (we have two to see…5:30 and 8:30… and it’s going to be a long night.
- Happy Birthday, America ! Fourth of July 2012 ! (samwarren55.wordpress.com)
- Red, White and Blue It: How to Look Chic on the Fourth of July (fabsugar.com)
- Happy Birthday America!! (theetutor.wordpress.com)
- Happy Birthday, America! (foxnewsinsider.com)
- July 4th Celebration (plaxo.com)