He was a year younger than me, but we were both in the Class of ’64 at Tabor. Harold was my best friend and in the summers, when I worked on Cape Cod at the Candle Factory doing tours, Harold, who lived close by in Hyannis, had the home I hung out in.
Harry and Billy… that was how everyone knew us… wandered the Cape, went to drive-in movies, chased girls and hung out at his family’s private chunk of Craigville Beach. Even when I went off to college in Illinois and Harold went off, too, we would get back together in the summer.
Harold was the kind of friend you didn’t have to see in years and yet nothing changed. You don’t get many like that.
He spent the last couple of years fighting pancreatic cancer… in and out o9f hospitals and with the caring support of his wife, Monica, and his daughter, Caroline, who came in from California to be with her Dad. Caroline, a television writer of talent, has been keeping everyone informed about Harold and his condition.
Now he has died at age 65 and I shall miss him. What awful news to get from Monica this morning as I packed for Georgetown Hospital.
Do you think Barack Obama was born in the United States, or not?
Was born in U.S.: 36
Not born in U.S.: 36
Not sure: 28
Do you believe in evolution, or not?
Believe in evolution: 41
Do not: 43
Not sure: 16
These folks who are “not sure” are a curious bunch…especially on Obama facts, a politician associated with Illinois for years.
“If we’re able to come out of Illinois with a huge or surprise win, I guarantee you, I guarantee you that we will win this nomination.”
Guarantee? Is Illinois a “winner take all” state? Did everyone forget that the Santorum campaign failed to file a full slate of delegates in four districts in Illinois so odds are Romney will emerge the delegate winner despite who wins the state.
Politicians who make guarantees are worth ignoring.
Wouldn’t you consider the $144,423 that Scott Walker makes as Governor of Wisconsin is a good salary? Gee… it would make MY life a lot easier. Walker, however, told right-wing radio host Charlie Sykes, that he was about to “make some real money” if he were to leave politics and enter the private sector:
And if we fail to win, it will take us down the path we see, failing, people like the people in Illinois, down in Springfield, and I for one don’t want that. Not because this job is that important to me, ‘cuz frankly my wife in some ways would love it if I’d go back to the private sector and make some real money.
And as long as we’re talking about Wisconsin I’d like to say “Hi” to my son in Milwaukee. Chin up, Bud!
- “I saw a bald eagle flying over the [Wisconsin] Capitol.” (althouse.blogspot.com)
- Governor Walker’s Wisconsin Lost 3,900 Private-Sector Jobs In December, Nation Added Jobs That Month (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- Governor Walker’s Wisconsin Lost 11,700 Private-Sector Jobs In November From October (dekerivers.wordpress.com)
- Union-Busting Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker ‘Far Off Pace’ From Delivering On Job Creation Promises (thinkprogress.org)
- Why Can’t Gov. Scott Walker Stop the Job Losses in Wisconsin? (crooksandliars.com)
- Scott Walker Rallies Against Recall Efforts At CPAC 2012 (huffingtonpost.com)
- On and To Scott “the American Assad” Walker, the Godless, Soulless, Spineless, Bloodless, Heartless Governor of Wisconsin (spwg22.wordpress.com)
It will be lovely to see well at all distances with my adjustable SuperFocus glasses that I ordered nine weeks ago. While that seems like a long time to wait, the waiting time used to be 12 weeks, but, as one of the SuperFocus employees told me (after getting tired of my weekly “Are we on schedule” calls) told me, the shipping times have shortened because response to advertising and increased sales has allowed them to put on more staff.
- Autofocusing Spectacles – NASA Provides the Superfocus Glasses to Aging Astronauts (TrendHunter.com) (trendhunter.com)
- Better Space Vision: ‘Older’ Astronauts Test Superfocus Glasses (space.com)
- Hocus Focus: Superfocus Glasses Are OpthaMagic for Muggles (wired.com)
- NASA Certifies First Adjustable Glasses (pcworld.com)
- Aging eyes in space no longer a problem (cbsnews.com)
- High Tech Glasses for Aging Astronauts (neatorama.com)
“Is there a certain political benefit? That’s yet to be determined,” Parker told TPM. “But I can tell you the base of the Democratic party is pretty riled up in the state of Indiana right now.”
“We may not have a lot of numbers right now,” he added. “But this shows…we’re not just going to roll over and play dead.”
- Ind. GOP leader: No compromise with absent Dems (sfgate.com)
- Dems leave Indiana House, stalling GOP labor bills (sfgate.com)
- Indiana GOP Drops Union Bill (online.wsj.com)
- Ind. Democrats flee to Illinois, block labor bill (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Indiana Democrats won’t return until bill is shelved (thehill.com)
A new poll shows that 53% of Americans support the ending of tax cuts for the Wealthy 1% while maintaining them for the Middle Class. John Boehner, however, comes out today saying it is not time to increase taxes on anyone (so I assume he’s in that 1%… or is dominated by it.) At the same time, the US poverty rating has now increased by 43%… more of us are impoverished by this economy and the lack of jobs is seen as the major cause.
S0 let’s look at that Wealthy 1%. As the major business investors (in terms of money, if not in the creation of new businesses), these folks have NOT created new jobs… at least not in the US. While China and the far east have gotten more employees (for pennies!) and Mexico has received new factories that used to be in Indiana and Illinois and Ohio, the Wealthy 1% have held onto their dough and have not used it to, as the trickle-downers maintain they would, “save America.”
By ending the “temporary” (as originally limited to 10 years… the decade that destroyed our economy) tax cut for the rich, enough money could come back into the American investment sphere through employment subsidies, highway development and bridge repair (much more necessary than anyone is admitting… just wait until our nmajor routes fall apart and truckers are out of business), among other things, to bring us back on a positive track. It may NOT be what does happen. Congress has not shown itself to be on the side of Working America as much as it has been on the side of Money America
We should at least realize what COULD happen and use all the influence we can expend on our Representatives and Future Representatives. If we don’t, then we deserve what we get.
- House GOP Leader Boehner Softens on Bush Tax Cuts For Wealthy (dailyfinance.com)
- Obama Attacks G.O.P. on Tax Rates (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Why John Boehner caved on tax cuts for the wealthy (salon.com)
- John Boehner: I’d Support Obama’s Tax Cuts Package If I Had No Other Choice (huffingtonpost.com)
- John Boehner Concedes That Reversing Bush Tax Cuts For Rich Affects Just 3% Of Small Businesses (alan.com)
- Boehner Signals He’s Open to Obama Tax Cut (wallstreetpit.com)
- Hill battles over Bush tax cuts (politico.com)
- Top House Republican offers glimmer of compromise on US taxes (reuters.com)
- Dem Polls Make Case For Middle Class Tax Cuts, Dems Unconvinced (huffingtonpost.com)
- Boehner Flips Back: Committed to Deficit-Busting Extension of All Bush Tax Cuts (news.firedoglake.com)
- Republican Tax Plan Doubles Nation’s Deficit in Just Ten Years (whitehouse.gov)