Who? What? Ted Kaczynski? And other billboards with Charles Manson and Fidel Castro. Coming soon are billboards featuring Osama bin Laden and James J. Lee (who took hostages inside the headquarters of the Discovery Channel in 2010).
What nutjobs are responsible for this terrific promotional campaign showing us how science proves there is no Global Warming? Why, The Heartland Institute, a 28-year-old organization whose mission is to discover, develop, and promote free-market solutions to social and economic problems.
And, of course, to create the kind of stimulating, educational pieces like these billboards.
Heartland also produces books and brochures with titles like Climate Change Weekly: New York Times Misrepresents Global Warming Surveys and EPA Official Says Goal Is to ‘Crucify’ Oil and Natural Gas Companies, all of which seem to be written by noted scientist James M. Taylor, J.D. Senior Fellow and Managing Editor, Environment and Climate News. (J.D. is that a scientific degree or a law degree?) Their Science Director is Dr. Jay Lehr, author of recent articles like Nuclear Fears Trumping Reality in Wake of Fukushima and An Open Letter to the Oil and Gas Industry: The Ethical Case for Fracking. Hmmm, support of Nuclear Industry and Hydrofracturing (Fracking).
Needless to say, given their support of corporations over individual citizens, my guess is that they will be advising Romney and the Republicans.
- These Insane Billboards Use The Unabomber And Osama Bin Laden As Arguments Against Global Warming (businessinsider.com)
- Will Heartland Institute’s Corporate Funders Tacitly Endorse Comparing Climate Realists to bin Laden and the Unabomber? (desmogblog.com)
- Heartland Institute New Ad Campaign Associates Climate Science Advocates With Serial Killers (bradblog.com)
- Heartland Institute Compares Climate Science Believers And Reporters To Mass ‘Murderers And Madmen’ (thinkprogress.org)
- Green Blog: A New Tactic in the Climate Wars (green.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Heartland Billboards on Climate Change. The Dangerous Ignorance of Ideology (bigthink.com)
- Heartland Institute: ‘Not All Global Warming Alarmists Are Murderers’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- Heartland Institute launches campaign comparing climate change ‘believers’ to murderers, tyrants (dailykos.com)