“I will not be a candidate for president next year. This has been a difficult, personal decision, and I am very grateful to my family for their total support of my going forward, had that been what I decided.
“Hundreds of people have encouraged me to run and offered both to give and raise money for a presidential campaign. Many volunteers have organized events in support of my pursuing the race. Some have dedicated virtually full time to setting up preliminary organizations in critical, early states and to helping plan what has been several months of intensive activity.
“I greatly appreciate each and every one of them and all their outstanding efforts. If I have disappointed any of them in this decision, I sincerely regret it.”
– Mississippi Governor Haley Barbour (R)
So who will Haley support for the Republican nomination? Best guess is his good buddy, Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels (R).
- Haley Barbour of Mississippi Bows Out of 2012 Run (mydd.com)
- Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour Skips 2012 GOP Presidential Race (usnews.com)
- Haley Barbour Not Running in 2012 (abcnews.go.com)
- Haley Barbour Declines To Run In 2012 (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Haley Barbour: I’m Not Running (newser.com)
- Breaking: Haley Barbour not running for president; Update: Daniels now 60-70%? (hotair.com)
- Haley Barbour will not seek the presidency (dailykos.com)
- Barbour opts OUT! (smacktalkradio.wordpress.com)
I’ll give you a clip here, but there are plenty of details in the article:
- Miss. Gov. Haley Barbour Addresses Lobbying Past (politics.blogs.foxnews.com)
- Haley Barbour’s 2012 Ambitions Could Be Complicated By Lobbying Past (huffingtonpost.com)
- Haley Barbour’s Wife Is “Horrified” At The Thought Of A Presidential Run (outsidethebeltway.com)
- Barbour explains Trump’s poll numbers (via CNN Political Ticker) (richardemanuel.wordpress.com)
And this guy may run for President (that will take care of his flying costs for at least four years if he wins.)
- Haley Barbour bills Mississippi taxpayers for CPAC travel expanses (dailykos.com)
- Why Taxpayers Paid for Haley Barbour’s Luxury Jet (time.com)
- Barbour Flew State Plane to Deliver Cost-Cutting Message (politicalwire.com)
- Haley Barbour Flew State Plane To Deliver Cost Cutting Message To CPAC, Fox News (swampland.blogs.time.com)
- Why Taxpayers Paid for Haley Barbour’s Luxury Jet (swampland.blogs.time.com)
- Fact-Checking Haley Barbour’s Budget Claims (huffingtonpost.com)
- Forget Haley Barbour. Spidey has gone white pridey. (charlestoncitypaper.com)
- Haley Barbour Mum On Sons Of Confederate Veterans Proposal For KKK Leader License Plate (huffingtonpost.com)
- Barbour won’t denounce Confederate license plate (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Mississippi Proposes License Plate Honoring Confederate General, KKK Grand Wizard (outsidethebeltway.com)
It’s the annual time of year when the far right gets together to plan their future and ours, funded by the Koch Brothers and other Conservative money guys. This year, however, things are a little shaky at the Conservative Political Action Conference.
Because there is a gay conservative group among the sponsors the show this year, some really extreme groups have pulled out. And folks like Mike Huckabee have decided not to attend.
According to the CPAC website, confirmed speakers for this year’s event include Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.), Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.), Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum, Sen. John Thune (R-S.D.), among other big conservative names.
Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) was tapped to deliver the keynote address at the conference. Sarah Palin was offered the coveted speaking opportunity; however, declined to accept the invitation. There’s a Live Blog going on at Huffington Post if you want to follow the fun.
- Keynote Speaker For CPAC 2011 Revealed (huffingtonpost.com)
- At CPAC forum, potential GOP candidates must navigate social-fiscal tension – Washington Post (news.google.com)
- Rick Santorum Says Sarah Palin Skipping CPAC for the Money or Because She’s a Mom or Something (mediaite.com)
- The Right Invades Washington (thedailybeast.com)
- Rick Santorum: Palin Skipping CPAC For C-Notes (alan.com)
- The CPAC straw poll (firstread.msnbc.msn.com)