Posted by btchakir
Every so often instead of just trashing the entries that Akismet builds up during the course of the say, I take a quick review of where this stuff is coming from. Since I average about 9,500 of these bothersome bits a month, reviewing them is pretty much a waste of time, but it tells me what some people out in the blogosphere are trying to do.
For the most part they are trying to get free advertising posted as comments to blog entries. Last year the big pushers were porn sites, but this year I am swamped by women’s accessories – primarily Gucci leather products (mostly handbags) and various brands of ladies’ shoes.
Who do these people think this blog serves? Why do they think I’ll post this stuff?
I’d like to think the posters are wasting their time, but since I am sure this garbage is being put out by some kind of automatic list pushed across the web, I doubt that they are taking up anyone’s time at all.
Thankfully, Akismet has a great memory for spammers and removes them immediately. I recommend it highly.
- Thanks Akismet! (crakgenius.wordpress.com)
- Really spammers? (newequus.wordpress.com)
- Spam Comments in the WordPress Dashboard… Akismet works pretty great! (diaryofdennis.wordpress.com)
- Beyond Akismet: Try This WordPress Plugin to Keep Spammy Comments Off Your Blog (smallbusinesssem.com)
- Drupal Company Acquires Akismet Competitor Mollom To Kill Spam Dead (techcrunch.com)
- Spammers on Acid (mraybould.wordpress.com)
- one thousand comments! (shawnbird.com)