You may have seen in the Detroit News web site how Governor Rick Snyder (R) and many of his Senators and Representatives in the State Legislature are bringing their budget in line. They are closing prisons without making arrangements for thousands of prisoners (and eliminating hundreds of jobs), and making major cuts in the Dept. of Human Services, among other things.
They are toughening rules for State Disability Assistance and reducing money for Early Childhood support. And…get this…no more burials for unclaimed bodies of indigents (perhaps they will be put out on the street.)
And then… think of what you can save on the clothing of foster children:
A small part of the DHS savings, about $200,000, would come from adjustments to the clothing allowance for foster children, or children of the working poor, of $79 for school clothes. (Bruce) Caswell (R-Hillsdale) said children will still get close to that $79, but would be issued gift cards that can only be used at the Salvation Army, Goodwill or other thrift stores.
“The reason is you can get a whole lot more in a resale store,” Caswell said.
“Government should not be big brother in telling somebody how to spend their (79) dollars,” she said.
- This Idea Is Bad And You Should Feel Bad of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- MI Republican Wants Foster Children to Buy Clothes Only in Thrift Stores (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- The Unbearable Meanness of Conservatives (crooksandliars.com)
- Michigan Foster Children Have To Shop In Charity Stores (pinkbananaworld.com)
- Rachel Maddow: Michigan High School is Ground Zero for US Politics (crooksandliars.com)
- “Michigan GOP: Foster Kids Only Get Used Clothes” and related posts (care2.com)
- Sunday Reads…Rabbit…Rabbit (minkoffminx.com)