From Dear Ruth O’Donnell:
- What do the stickers on fruit tell you? (bargainhoot.com)
- Produce Stickers Are Actually Helpful (datewithyourplate.wordpress.com)
- How To I.D. Genetically Modified Food at the Supermarket (cheapogroovo.typepad.com)
- Pesky Produce Stickers (chipwellness.wordpress.com)
- Produce Code (snopes.com)
- New GMOs Poised to Destroy Farmer’s Market Favorites (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- How to read those little stickers on food (rawlivingfoods.typepad.com)
- Battle brewing over labeling of genetically modified food (mercurynews.com)
- Are There GMOs in Your Backyard Garden? (blogher.com)
Volunteers across California are making history. On May 2nd, the California Right to Know campaign turned in nearly 1 million signatures to place a ballot initiative to label GMOs on the November 2012 ballot.
But this is only the beginning. We know that Monsanto and their minions will do everything in their power to spread lies and confuse voters. They have proven this time and again and most recently in Vermont and Connecticut where citizens in those states overwhelmingly supported bills to require labeling of genetically engineered foods.
Only a few days after voters in California qualified the historic initiative to label GMOs, Monsanto and biotech lobbyists were working behind closed doors in Connecticut to kill the bill that would have made it possible for the residents in that state to know what’s in their food.1 In the final hours of the 2012 legislative session, the biotech industry succeeded in getting Connecticut’s governor and House leaders to strip the bill of its labeling requirement as it was on the verge of passing with bipartisan support. Now, this year alone, governors in Vermont and Connecticut have both caved under the biotech industry’s threats to sue them if they pass a bill to label GMOs. This is an outrage!
While these backroom shenanigans can’t happen in California, since the ballot initiative will be put to a vote of the people, we know that Monsanto’s minions will be up to their usual dirty tricks. Already, a powerful biotech front group is starting to spread misleading stories in the media and distorting the real facts about the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act of 2012.
This has been called “the Food Fight of Our Life” and we need your help in making sure that we succeed in November.
Will you chip in to make GMO labeling a reality? Only with your help can we win in November!
We can win in California, but we need your help today! Here’s how. Between May 1 and May 26, a broad coalition of food, farm, health, public interest, and environmental groups all over the country, joined by leading organic food companies, will attempt to raise one million dollars to support the California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act, a citizens’ ballot initiative, and other state GMO-labeling campaigns.
In an extraordinary gesture of support and solidarity in the fight for GMO labeling in California, Mercola.com, the largest alternative health website in the world, along with a group of leading organic companies including Nature’s Path, Lundberg Family Farms, and Eden Foods, and other nonprofit organizations, have pledged another one million dollars to the “Drop the Money Bomb on Monsanto” campaign – but only if we reach our goal of $1 million by May 26.
Please help us raise $1 million by May 26 for the California Right to Know GMO Labeling Campaign so we don’t miss out on this $1 million matching gift!
Thank you for contributing what you can today – Together we can win!
Now’s the time. Let’s drop the money bomb on Monsanto and take back our food supply!
Thanks for participating in food democracy,
President, Food Democracy Action!
P.S. All money raised for this campaign will go through Food Democracy Action!, a 501(c)4 allied organization of Food Democracy Now!, focused on grassroots lobbying and legislative action. Donations are not tax-deductible. Thank you for your support!
1. “GMO ‘Right to Know’ campaign in CT fails — Lawsuit threatened”, Digital Journal, May 5, 2012
- You’ll Probably Accidentally Eat This Toxic Food Today (articles.mercola.com)
- Food Manufacturing Editorial – Don’t Run from GMO Labeling (foodidentityblog.com)
- GMO Legislation Update: Monsanto Trumps Democracy in Vermont, Connecticut (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- GMO Labeling Initiative WILL Be On The Ballot In CA (12160.info)
- Something Historical is About to Happen – But Your Participation is Critical (articles.mercola.com)
- California Wants to Label GMOs (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- The Toxin So Dangerous It’s Causing Catastrophic Birth Defects (foodfreedomgroup.com)
- Millions against Monsanto: The food fight of our lives (blogginghounds.wordpress.com)
- California public to vote on GMO Label Act; Biotech lies begin (blacklistednews.com)
This article is from Rodale. The first couple of lines are below… then connect to the full story:
By Leah Zerbe
Your tomatoes are under attack.
If approved, two new types of genetically engineered corn and soy crops will threaten some of America‘s favorite farm foods, including tomatoes, peas, cucumbers, squash, melons, pumpkins, green beans, grapes, and other farmer’s market and garden staples.
—> Read the rest HERE.
Monsanto has released their first direct-to-consumer product, a genetically-modified (GM) sweet corn containing Bt toxin, designed to protect the plant by rupturing the stomach of any insect that feeds on it. Monsanto claims the toxin will break down before the corn makes it to your dinner table, but rats fed with the GM corn showed organ failure, and the toxin has been detected in the bodies of pregnant women.
Want to avoid this toxic product? Too bad – it will arrive on shelves unlabeled and untested on humans, starting with this years’ corn crop.
Consumers are fighting back. Thanks to consumer pressure, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and General Mills have all agreed to not use Monsanto’s GM sweet corn in any of their products. But Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest organic retailer, is holding out.
Join the Campaign and sign the petition HERE. I did.
- Monsanto’s Resistant Super Bugs by Ripple Effect Films (socialactions.net)
- More U.S. Farmers Violate Genetically-Modified Corn Requirements (businessweek.com)
- Tell Walmart to Stop Selling GM Corn (tasteofwonderland.wordpress.com)
- Cynics Agree: Wal-Mart’s Slogan For Health Foods, “Good For You,” is Extremely Sarcastic (holytaco.com)
- Keep Monsanto’s Pesticide-Ridden GMO Sweet Corn Off Your Dinner Plate (truefoodnow.org)
- New Thinking About What We’re Eating (liberationwellnessblog.com)
German chemicals giant BASF is closing its biotech division in Germany. The move was prompted by massive resistance to genetically modified food among both the public and politicians. GM opponents are jubilant, while some researchers are complaining this is another case of German hostility to technology.
Read more: Conscious Consumer, Diet & Nutrition, Eating for Health, Eco-friendly tips, Environment, Food, Green, Green Kitchen Tips, Health, Natural Pest Control, Nature, Videos, Videos, Videos, Videos, Videos, Videos, Activists, agriculture, Annette Schavan, BASF, biotech, Biotechnology, food, foods, Friends Of The Earth, genetic-engineering, genetically modified crops, genetically modified foods, genetically modified organisms, germany, GM, GM crops, GMO, GMO Crops, GMOs, Greenpeace, Heike Moldenhauer, news, organic farming, organic food, science, Science News, Scientific Research, Scientific Research News, Stefan Marcinowski
Monsanto‘s Roundup, which has been associated with deformities in a host of laboratory animals, may have a similar impact on humans.. One laboratory study done in France in 2005 found that Roundup and glyphosate caused the death of human placental cells and abnormal embryonic cells. Another study, conducted in 2009, found that Roundup caused total cell death in human umbilical, embryonic and placental cells within 24 hours. Yet researchers have conducted few follow-up studies.
“Obviously there’s a limit to what’s appropriate in terms of testing poison on humans, but if you look at the line of converging evidence, it points to a serious problem. And if you look at the animal feeding studies with genetically modified Roundup ready crops, there’s a consistent theme of reproductive disorders, which we don’t know the cause for because follow-up studies have not been done.
“More independent research is needed to evaluate the toxicity of Roundup and glyphosate and the evidence that has already accumulated is sufficient to raise a red flag.”
– Jeffrey Smith, executive director of the Institute for Responsible Technology
We have been critical of Monsanto for soft-peddling Roundup, as have members of the scientific community. In 1996 New York State’s Attorney General sued Monsanto for describing Roundup as “environmentally friendly” and “safe as table salt” (although I don’t think anyone from Monsanto would sprinkle Roundup on their spaghetti.) Monsanto, while not admitting any wrongdoing, agreed to stop using the terms for promotional purposes and paid New York state $250,000 to settle the suit.
Roundup Ready seeds are now proliferating 80 % or more of the seed market (if you don’t believe me try purchasing a heritage corn seed at any major supplier like Home Depot or Lowe’s. While they are occasionally there, most products are Monsanto GMO seeds that are Roundup Ready.) Driving by fields and fields of weed-free Roundup Ready corn yesterday, I rolled up my car windows so as not to breathe in any of this crap.
- If You buy ROUND UP you are helping to build Monsanto’s income while destroying our agriculture. (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Monsanto product causes birth defects in humans (theramblingsofateenagegirl.wordpress.com)
- Media Silence on Disturbing New Evidence About Monsanto’s Roundup (friendseat.com)
- Educate yourself – learn about Monsanto, GMO foods and industry lobbying… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Roundup Birth Defects: Regulators Knew World’s Best-Selling Herbicide Causes Problems, New Report Finds (worldtruthtoday.com)
- Monsanto Chemical Shown to Cause Infertility and Super Weeds (worldtruthtoday.com)
- Modern-Day Earth Angels (marieclaire.com)
- World’s Top Commercial Weed Killer Linked to Infertility (misbehavedwoman.wordpress.com)
- Heading for the last Roundup? (pdalbury.wordpress.com)
- Monstanto Buys Influence In Universities (misbehavedwoman.wordpress.com)
- More problems with glyphosate for US rice growers (genomega1.wordpress.com)
- GMOs Linked to Organ Disruption in 19 Studies (worldtruthtoday.com)
- “Roundup Birth Defects: Regulators Knew World’s Best-Selling Herbicide Causes Problems, New Report Finds” and related posts (markcrispinmiller.com)
Most Americans go rambling through their grocery stores with no concept of what they are buying as it relates to the poison Monsanto and other chemical companies has spread through our fruits, vegetables and even meats. If YOU are unaware of this situation, then watch the video that follows…
- No GMO Labeling Laws in the USA!
- Lack of Adequate FDA / USDA Safety Testing
- Monsanto Puts Small Farmers out of Business
Farmer Suicides After GMO Crop Failures
- Monsanto Products Pollute the Developing World
500,000 Agent Orange Babies
- Monsanto Blocking Government Regulations
- Monsanto Guilty of False Advertising & Scientific FRAUD
- Consumers Reject Bovine Growth Hormone rBGH in Milk
- GMO Crops Do NOT Increase Yields
- Monsanto Controls U.S. Soy Market
- Monsanto’s GMO Foods Cause NEW Food Allergies
In 2009 a documentary was aired on French television (ARTE – French-German cultural tv channel) by French journalist and film maker Marie-Monique Robin, The World According to Monsanto – A documentary that you won’t see on American television. . . but you can see it HERE.
Got the picture? Now figure out what you are going to do about this. Start by educating others.
- Should We Label GMO Foods? (tipggita32.wordpress.com)
- Organic food under threat from Monsanto (rogerblobaum.com)
- If You buy ROUND UP you are helping to build Monsanto’s income while destroying our agriculture. (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Alert: Monsanto’s Chemicals in bloodstream, plus free (download) Non-GMO Shopping Guide! (phblog.wordpress.com)
- Monstanto Buys Influence In Universities (misbehavedwoman.wordpress.com)
- Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s Sell GMO Foods – With No GMO Label (unaskedadvice.wordpress.com)
- (VIDEO) – Must-Watch Documentaries (bluehoney.org)
- Monsanto in the news again! (greenflbroker.com)
- Don Huber Explains Science Behind New Organism and Threat from Monsanto’s Roundup, GMOs to Disease and Infertility (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- The World According to Monsanto (zahirah.com)
- Monsanto Will Soon Be Allowed To Police Itself (fastcompany.com)
I’m going to print an article in the morning’s HuffPo intact. I suggest you read it AND go to all the links involved AND to most of their links. What you will discover is that there is a worldwide problem, both in providing us with increased birth defects and dreadful diseases as about ten major chemical companies, with Monsanto in the lead, spreads its poison around the world.
Roundup Birth Defects: Regulators Knew World’s Best-Selling Herbicide Causes Problems, New Report Finds
by Lucia Graves at HuffPo
WASHINGTON — Industry regulators have known for years that Roundup, the world’s best-selling herbicide produced by U.S. company Monsanto, causes birth defects, according to a new report released Tuesday.
The report, “Roundup and birth defects: Is the public being kept in the dark?” found regulators knew as long ago as 1980 that glyphosate, the chemical on which Roundup is based, can cause birth defects in laboratory animals.
But despite such warnings, and although the European Commission has known that glyphosate causes malformations since at least 2002, the information was not made public.
Instead regulators misled the public about glyphosate’s safety, according to the report, and as recently as last year, the German Federal Office for Consumer Protection and Food Safety, the German government body dealing with the glyphosate review, told the European Commission that there was no evidence glyphosate causes birth defects.
The report comes months after researchers found that genetically-modified crops used in conjunction Roundup contain a pathogen that may cause animal miscarriages. After observing the newly discovered organism back in February, Don Huber, a emeritus professor at Purdue University, wrote an open letter to Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack requesting a moratorium on deregulating crops genetically altered to be immune to Roundup, which are commonly called Roundup Ready crops.
In the letter, Huber also commented on the herbicide itself, saying: “It is well-documented that glyphosate promotes soil pathogens and is already implicated with the increase of more than 40 plant diseases; it dismantles plant defenses by chelating vital nutrients; and it reduces the bioavailability of nutrients in feed, which in turn can cause animal disorders.”
Although glyphosate was originally due to be reviewed in 2012, the Commission decided late last year not to bring the review forward, instead delaying it until 2015. The chemical will not be reviewed under more stringent, up-to-date standards until 2030.
One of the things you will discover as you tour the links (and their links) are facts like Monsanto’s GMO corn seed (which accounts for 83% of our corn crop) is registered by the EPA as an “insecticide” due to chemical contents built into the seed. I don’t know if I have ever thought of a vegetable or grain as an “insecticide”— certainly a good reason for growing organic.
In another article in HuffPo a month ago there was this finding:
“Recent research claims that Monsanto’s Roundup Ready genetically modified crops contain an organism, previously unknown to science, that can cause miscarriages in farm animals.”
It doesn’t look like any research was followed by the previous findings into whether this caused similar miscarriages in humans. As the Washington Post commented on Monsanto’s “Roundup Ready Seeds (RRS) that are spreading throughout our Nation’s agriculture:
“You can’t recall them the way you can a car or a plastic toy. They’re out there for good. And no one knows what their full impact will be.”
Will have more to come on this topic… meanwhile, I’m getting back to the all-organic Shepherdstown Community Garden (where we are finding that it is quite a hard task to avoid the chemical subjugation of growing things.)
The speakers were Dan and Melinda Hemmelgarn out of Columbia, Missouri, and they combined the skills of photography and dietetics with a heavy dose of activism. They were co-presented by AHA and the Source. Although the audience was fairly small, the excitement of the discussion after the 7:00 PM presentation lasted until close to 10 PM.
Even after the panel there was still continued discussion over a variety of delicious goodies.
- Organic Farmers Unite Against Monsanto In Battle For Future of Food (singularityhub.com)
- FDA requests comments on labeling junk food, but bans labeling non-rGBH? (themomu.wordpress.com)
- Organic farmers file suit to protect themselves from Monsanto’s aggressive practices. (isiria.wordpress.com)
- Monsanto says: The World Needs Us to Feed the Poor (themomu.wordpress.com)
- Monsanto Disappoints, Ag Shares Trade Lower (blogs.wsj.com)
- The Costs and Benefits of a Green Revolution (creditloan.com)
- Monsanto’s GMO Wheat ? (2012patriot.wordpress.com)
- Stay Alive, Don’t Mess with the Food Supply! (queensrepublic.wordpress.com)
I’m passing this on to you all out there because it is so important. I’ve written about chemical poisoning in our gardens and on our food for a couple of years now…and Elly and I discover as we go on and on that it is getting harder to be sure organic produce is actually organic. This thanks to Monsanto and the seeds that they distribute.
Anyway, if you can get to D.C. for this one, please do:
The national Millions Against Monsanto campaign staff is gearing up for a nationwide day of action on World Food Day, October 16, 2011, pledging to make it the biggest action on genetic engineering in US history.
In the meantime, to help raise awareness for the campaign, Millions Against Monsanto activist Trish Wright has sent out a call for a demonstration at the White House on March 26, 2011, and has urged other activists around the country to “Rally for the Right to Know” locally.
- Truth Squad Radio: Monsanto’s GMO Threat! (ppjg.wordpress.com)
- The Organic Elite Surrenders to Monsanto: What Now? (solari.com)
- GE Corn Unsafe for Consumption (theramblingsofateenagegirl.wordpress.com)
- USDA Recommends “Coexistence” with Monsanto: We Say Hell No! – Huffington Post (blog) (news.google.com)
- Climate Change and Agriculture (foodfreedom.wordpress.com)
- Monsanto blocks research on GMO safety, harasses scientists (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Speak out on Monsanto… Tell the President… (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Stop Monsanto Again – GM Alfalfa Threatens to Contaminate Organic Crops (twilightearth.com)
- Speaking with One Voice to Stop Monsanto and Biotech – Huffington Post (blog) (news.google.com)
- Monsanto and the Merchants of Death (ediblearia.com)
- Hypothetical “clean crop act” would never be able to undo the damage and losses caused by GE crops (aurule.wordpress.com)
Over the past 12 days, the Obama administration has recklessly and unnecessarily chosen to approve two biotech crops, Roundup Ready genetically modified (GMO) alfalfa and Roundup Ready genetically modified (GMO) sugar beets. While the planting of both these crops had been temporarily halted due to court decisions, Obama’s recent approval of them will allow them to be planted as early as this spring, despite widespread acknowledgment that these crops are certain to contaminate both conventional and organic farmers‘ non-GMO crops. Their approval only benefits one company — Monsanto.
These decisions are a devastating blow to our democracy and the basic rights of farmers to choose how they want to grow food on their land and the rights of consumers who increasingly choose organic and sustainably grown food for its positive health and environmental impacts.
Let them know that you care about organic integrity by following this link from Food Democracy Now!, then please pass this on. Please join me in telling President Obama that it’s time to stand up to Monsanto and reject these GMO crops today!
Every voice counts!
- Keep GMOs Out of ‘Organic’! (zoecarnate.wordpress.com)
- Call President Obama: Stop Monsanto’s GMO alfalfa (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- “Say NO – and tell Obama to say NO – to Monsanto’s GMO Alfalfa! (2 items)â€” and related posts (markcrispinmiller.com)
- Yet another blow to organics: USDA approves Monsanto’s GMO sugar beets (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- USDA Deregulates GMO Sugar Beets, Farmers and Biotech Finds Common Ground in … – New West (news.google.com)
- Monsanto GM Sugar Beets (and Alfalfa) Approval: Why This is Bad News (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Politics Dominate the FDA and USDA Putting Consumer Interests Aside – More … – Blogger News Network (blog) (news.google.com)
- USDA ‘partially deregulates’ GM sugar beets, defying court order (grist.org)