Monsanto has released their first direct-to-consumer product, a genetically-modified (GM) sweet corn containing Bt toxin, designed to protect the plant by rupturing the stomach of any insect that feeds on it. Monsanto claims the toxin will break down before the corn makes it to your dinner table, but rats fed with the GM corn showed organ failure, and the toxin has been detected in the bodies of pregnant women.
Want to avoid this toxic product? Too bad – it will arrive on shelves unlabeled and untested on humans, starting with this years’ corn crop.
Consumers are fighting back. Thanks to consumer pressure, Whole Foods, Trader Joe’s and General Mills have all agreed to not use Monsanto’s GM sweet corn in any of their products. But Wal-Mart, the nation’s largest organic retailer, is holding out.
Join the Campaign and sign the petition HERE. I did.
- Monsanto’s Resistant Super Bugs by Ripple Effect Films (socialactions.net)
- More U.S. Farmers Violate Genetically-Modified Corn Requirements (businessweek.com)
- Tell Walmart to Stop Selling GM Corn (tasteofwonderland.wordpress.com)
- Cynics Agree: Wal-Mart’s Slogan For Health Foods, “Good For You,” is Extremely Sarcastic (holytaco.com)
- Keep Monsanto’s Pesticide-Ridden GMO Sweet Corn Off Your Dinner Plate (truefoodnow.org)
- New Thinking About What We’re Eating (liberationwellnessblog.com)