From Mashed Potato Bulletin:
In what could become Mitt Romney’s J.D. Hayworth moment this ABC News video utterly contradicts the Republican presidential candidates calls to severely cut government spending. As with J.D. Hayworth – John McCain’s Tea Party challenger in 2010 who was caught in “Free Government Money” informercial which contributed to his election loss – this video may be the metaphorical topper to the ex-governor’s campaign of flip-flopping. Depending on the coverage it receives, Mitt may have essentially shot himself in the foot.
First of all, he would have discarded FEMA as a Federal Agency and given the costs and responsibilities back to the states or to private enterprise. I’ll bet governors up and down the east cost would not be thrilled to lose the federal support.
I guess that means what President Obama is doing now to aid the various states in preserving life and helping states is “immoral.” Tell that to Republican New Jersey Governor Chris Christie who as already come out praising Obama and thanking him for making federal funds and FEMA available… and being available to him by phone for any future problems. I’ll bet Christie is glad that it is Obama and not Romney who is on the other end of the phone call:
“I appreciated the president’s outreach today in making sure that we know he’s watching this and is concerned about the health and welfare and safety of the people of the state of New Jersey.”
– Gov. Chris Christie, (R) NJ
- Obama, Romney, suspend campaigning as hurricane Sandy bears down on East Coast (vancouversun.com)
- Hurricane Sandy Update: President Obama Signs New Jersey Emergency Declaration (keansburgpress.wordpress.com)
- Video: Clinton, Biden on Hurricane Sandy (cbsnews.com)
- Sandy Is the Most Important Swing Voter (theatlanticwire.com)
- President Obama signs emergency declaration for entire Mid-Atlantic region (examiner.com)
- Why Romney’s not ready for Hurricane Sandy (tv.msnbc.com)
- Romney may regret ‘privatize’ FEMA remarks in face of Sandy destruction (tv.msnbc.com)
- Obama visits FEMA, says Hurricane Sandy resources “are in place” (cbsnews.com)
- Romney: Privatize FEMA, Federal Disaster Relief Spending “Immoral” (rodonline.typepad.com)
- Emergency/Disaster Management – the politics (recoverydiva.com)