West Virginia Coal Mine Jobs Rise Under Obama
Despite the lies told by Sen. Joe Manchin (Joe Manchin) and Gov. Earl Ray Tomblin (Joe Manchin) and the Friends of Coal Barons Who Kill Miners, President Barack Obama’s EPA has not spelled doom to coal jobs. In fact, the opposite is true:
While the Obama administration and the EPA may be taking a harder look at mountain top removal mining permits, a quick look at coal mining employment in West Virginia reveals that since Obama took office in the winter of 2009 coal mining employment has grown by over 1,500 jobs or by 7.4%. If we measure from the end of the national recession in June 2009 (or the 2nd Quarter of 2009) to the third-quarter of 2011 (the latest available data), employment in the coal mining industry has grown by 3,100. For comparison, total employment in West Virginia has only grown by 2.9% over this period.
People have to really hate Obama to push the lies that come out of the coal industry, out of Manchin’s office and out of the Romney Campaign. It’s possible that the West Virginia politicos (even those claiming to be “Democrats”) have other goals in mind for this pathetically poor state.
- May 22 News: Coal Country Jobs At Two-Decade High, But Industry Campaigns Against ‘Job Killing’ Regulations (thinkprogress.org)
- The real war on coal (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- W.Va. coal-mining jobs on rise under Obama (blogs.wvgazette.com)
- Coal politics: What W.Va. doesn’t want to talk about (blogs.wvgazette.com)
- Second West Virginia Dem unsure about Obama (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
CREDO put up a petition last night. I hope you will read it, then go there and sign…
Subject: Tell your Senator: Stop dangerous Fracking
Did you know that oil and gas companies are allowed to inject unchecked quantities of a secret, toxic fluid, directly into or drinking water – and that the EPA is currently powerless to do anything about it?
It’s already responsible for poisoning the groundwater in states across the country, but thanks to the work of Dick Cheney the EPA can’t currently regulate Fracking.
I just signed a petition asking my Senator to co-sponsor the FRAC Act, which would allow the EPA to regulate Fracking. Please add your voice and help build the call to pass this vital bill to protect our drinking water:
It only takes a minute… so please let the Congres know your feelingd.
- Stop Fracking Now (ynative77.wordpress.com)
- Gas Industry Working Overtime to Smother Revived FRAC Act Efforts To Rein In Hydraulic Fracturing (desmogblog.com)
- Former Bush EPA Official Confirms 2004 EPA Fracking Study Was Misused (desmogblog.com)
- U.K. Company Suspends Controversial Drilling Procedure (nytimes.com)
- “Fracking” the cause of two minor quakes? (cbsnews.com)
- Fracking: The Music Video (propublica.org)
Salon asked the author of BIG COAL, Jeff Goodall, why it is important that the government has move to close a mountaintop removal coal mine.Here is a exerpt… but you will likely want to read the whole article:
Those of us who live in West Virginia have worried for quite awhile over the polluting properties of mountaintop removal in Coal Mining, as well as “fracking” for gas and oil in shale rock. Both are happening in this state and both are poisoning its residents. This move by the EPA is both brave and valuable; brave because it knows the newly powerful Republicans would destroy the EPA if it could, valuable because it shows that the government can do its job and protect citizens from corporate induced danger.
It is a good first step, but this is ONLY a first step.
- EPA Vetoes Permit For Largest Mountaintop Removal Mine In West Virginia, Arch Coal’s Spruce No. 1 (alternet.org)
- Landmark EPA Ruling Revokes a Mountaintop Removal Mine’s Permit | 80beats (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- EPA Vetoes Largest Mountaintop Removal Permit: New Era of Civility in the Coalfields? | CommonDreams.org (f33dyourhead.wordpress.com)
- Could Revoked West Virginia Coal Mine Permit Trigger a Renewable Energy Boom? (fastcompany.com)
- Coal industry fumes as US revokes mining permit (alternet.org)
- EPA Vetoes Proposed West Virginia Mountaintop Removal Mine (sierraclub.typepad.com)