The other day, in a long and meaningful speech based on his own experience, Senator John McCain lashed out at the support of waterboarding by his fellow Republicans.
Everything I’ve read shows that we would not have gotten this information as to who this man was if it had not been gotten information from people who were subject to enhanced interrogation. And so this idea that we didn’t ask that question while Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was being waterboarded, he doesn’t understand how enhanced interrogation works. I mean, you break somebody, and after they’re broken, they become cooperative. And that’s when we got this information. And one thing led to another, and led to another, and that’s how we ended up with bin Laden.
Perhaps Santorum forgets that McCain was held and tortured by the North Vietnamese and bases his opinion on real experience. McCain has even written that he did not become cooperative under “enhanced interrogation” at all, and in fact gave his tormentors false information to get them to stop.
So in response to the question of what does McCain think of Rick Santorum’s comment, McCain spokesperson Brooke Buchanan made a one word reply:
(Source: Justin Elliott in Salon)
- Rick Santorum Says John McCain Doesn’t Understand Interrogation (alan.com)
- Santorum Says McCain Doesn’t Understand Enhanced Interrogation (themoderatevoice.com)
- Santorum doesn’t think John McCain understands how torture works (americablog.com)
- Rick Santorum says Sen. John McCain, an ex-POW, doesn’t understand the effectiveness of harsh interrogation (pennlive.com)
- Santorum Denies McCain Experience With Torture (lezgetreal.com)
- UnCatholic Quote of the Day (vgiordano.wordpress.com)
- More on Santorum’s Torture Expertise and Experience (themoderatevoice.com)
- Santorum: Still dumber than a bag of hammers…. (tagg-lines.com)
- Rick Santorum: Obama Didn’t Get Bin Laden (alan.com)
As revealed in Talking Points Memo:
“I think the tools that President Bush put into place — GITMO, rendition, enhanced interrogation, the vast effort to collect and collate this information — obviously served his successor quite well,” former Bush adviser Karl Rove said on Fox News.
Also on Fox News, Bush’s one-time Chief of Staff Andrew Card claimed his former boss “made sure that everything was in place so that President Obama could have an opportunity to — to get Osama bin Laden, and it finally happened.”
- Right Strains To Praise Bush, Minimize Obama, For Bin Laden Death (alan.com)
- Bush Praised For Order He Never Gave (eleftheria64.wordpress.com)
- “If a Republican were in office right now, Osama bin Laden would still be in his compound, burning trash and slowly dying of old age.” (slog.thestranger.com)
- Osama bin Laden Killing Closes a Chapter But Not the Book (themoderatevoice.com)
- Will Obama Break Down And Give Bush Some Credit For Bin Laden Kill? (nicedeb.wordpress.com)