Sitting around the house now that I’m not allowed to drive due to my seizures, I’ve been thinking about my life and trying to figure out what I’ll do now. I don’t know why, but I started thinking about my father and the airplanes he had when I was a kid. The first plane he owned and the second, too, as a matter of fact, werea 1946 Stinson 180’s.
My mother was scared to death of airplanes and eventually my dad got rid of the first one. I was really sad, since I loved to go flying with him.
Eventually he bought the second Stinson and it was not one he kept for a long time…primarily because he had to make a forced landing on a farm in northeast Connecticut while flying back from Cape Cod. My mother, my sister and I drove back… and when we got home we got the phone call. When he made the forced landing it was downhill and the propeller ended up twisting barbed wire around itself from the fence it rolled into.
Needless to say, this was enough to make my Mother totally certain that she’d make him sell the plane… and she did.
I was 12 or 13 during our couple of flying years and I remember buzzing over Connecticut small towns, flying near the shoreline and then bringing it to the little airport in Plainville. Every kid should have a flying experience!
- Pilot walks away from emergency landing (stuff.co.nz)
- Up, up, and away~ (cassh20.wordpress.com)
- 10 Annoying Airplane Behaviors That Should Probably Be Illegal (thefrisky.com)
- Overnight search for missing Qld plane (bigpondnews.com)
Romney commenting on a forced landing of a plane his wife was in when there was an accidental ekectrical fire:
When you have a fire in an aircraft, there’s no place to go, exactly, there’s no — and you can’t find any oxygen from outside the aircraft to get in the aircraft, because the windows don’t open. I don’t know why they don’t do that. It’s a real problem. So it’s very dangerous.
The Republican nominee’s command of airplane needs and technology lets us see the weakness of his intelligence. Just think, he could be running the technical needs of this country.
- Romney Wonders Why Airplane Windows Don’t Open (politicalwire.com)
- Romney: “I Don’t Know Why Airplane Windows Don’t Open” (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Romney: Why Don’t Plane Windows Open? (drudge.com)
- Mitt Romney Doesn’t Get Why Airplane Windows Don’t Open (nymag.com)
- Mitt Romney wants airplane windows to roll down in case of fire so people can breathe more easily (dailykos.com)
- Hilarious Reactions to Romney’s Airplane Windows Comment (alternet.org)
- Another day, another Romney fail: Airplane windows edition (dailykos.com)