The Convention opens at 5:00 PM when Chair of the Democratic National Committee, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, brings down the gavel. Harry Reid, Rahm Emanuel, Joseph Kennedy III (one of several in the Kennedy family honoring the late Ted Kennedy) and Kal Penn, among others, speak tonight.
- Democratic Convention Schedule. Who speaks when Tuesday night (blogs.suntimes.com)
- WATCH: Democratic National Convention (kfor.com)
- DNC releases schedule, Castro on after 9 p.m. (statesman.com)
- At DNC, Julián Castro Tackles Comparisons To President Obama – NPR (blog) (npr.org)
- First lady previews speech (kfwbam.com)
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz: DNC Will Be Very Different From Special Interest-Funded, Corporate Infused, Invitation-Only RNC (foxnewsinsider.com)
Oh, I see. We don’t really know how much he has or why he doesn’t invest it back in America to help create jobs and to help the government with tax revenues.
As Joe Biden suggested the other day, we have never voted before for a candidate with off shore investment accounts and money in Swiss Banks.
- Democrats target Romney’s tax returns, bank accounts (washingtontimes.com)
- DNC chairwoman presses Romney to release additional tax returns (thehill.com)
- Democrats Attack Romney Over Offshore Accounts, Revive Demands for Tax Returns (nymag.com)
- Dems Bombard Romney With Attacks Over Offshore Accounts (politics.blogs.foxnews.com)
- DNC chair: Mitt made ?secretive investments? (politico.com)
- O’Malley: Romney ‘bet against America’ with offshore holdings (thehill.com)
We wake up to disappointing news from Wisconsin:
|Walker , Scott (i)||GOP||1,331,076||53%|
|Barrett , Tom||Dem||1,158,337||46%|
While Barrett took the cities (where there has been the strongest action by the Walker Administration to
eliminate Union influence), Scott Walker took everything else.
There is some other news, however. One of the State Senate seats previously held by Republicans was filled by a Democrat,thus bringing a new majority to that body. This may help prevent more of Walker.s cutting actions in the next couple of years.
Dismal morning… I’m going back to bed.
- Republican Scott Walker Wins Wisconsin Recall Election (mediaite.com)
- Barrett vs. Walker – Wisconsin’s Recall Fiasco (socyberty.com)
- Voter suppression by “Walker allies” or last-minute, uncheckable smear by Barrett people? (althouse.blogspot.com)
Look, Debbie . . . let me make myself perfectly clear . . . you are the most vile, unprofessional, and despicable member of the US House of Representatives. If you have something to say to me, stop being a coward and say it to my face, otherwise, shut the heck up. . . You have proven repeatedly that you are not a Lady, therefore, shall not be afforded due respect from me!”
– Excerpts from an email by Congressman Allen B West (R-FL)
If you’d like to join the rest of us who are protesting the sexist behavior of Allen West, go to Emily’s List and sign the petition.
And what caused this attack on Wasserman-Schultz/ here is a summary from The Christian Science Monitor:
Wasserman Schultz offended West’s sensibilities Tuesday when she went after “the gentleman from Florida” on the House floor for supporting the now-passed “cut, cap, and balance” legislation, which requires deep cuts in federal spending. She noted that West represents thousands of Medicarebeneficiaries, as does she, and “is supportive of this plan that would increase costs for Medicare beneficiaries, unbelievable from a member from south Florida.”
She also complained that the legislation “slashes Medicaid and critical investments essential to winning the future in favor of protecting tax breaks for Big Oil, millionaires, and companies who ship American jobs overseas.”
Standard rhetorical fare, especially for a national party chair. But West took offense, and turned the dial up a few notches.
Well, that sure sounded vile, despicable and unprofessional to me… and btw, representatives are not allowed to directly address other representatives in the House… they may only address the chair, which Wasserman-Schulz did.
- Allen West Email Prompts Congresswomen To Call For Apology From GOP Lawmaker (huffingtonpost.com)
- Rep. Allen West Calls Debbie Wasserman Schultz “Vile, Unprofessional And Despicable” (alan.com)
- Allen West Thinks Debbie Wasserman-Schultz is Despicable and Should STFU (passthedoucheys.com)
- Congressman Allen West (R-FL) Smackdown of Debbie Wasserman Schultz (sfcmac.wordpress.com)
- Congresswomen call on West to apologize for tirade (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- In Your Face Wasserman Schultz! (fellowshipofminds.wordpress.com)
- The Caucus: West Calls Wasserman Schultz ‘Vile’ (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- “Just resign, Congressman. You’re making a jackass out of yourself…AGAIN,” says Keith Olberdouchebag to Allen West (barenakedislam.wordpress.com)