Posted by btchakir
There is a great danger in electing Mitt Romney and letting him and Paul Ryan get their hands on Medicare. According to a report from Harvard economist David Cutler, an Obamacare architect, and the Center for American Progress the cost of health care at retirement will be obscenely expensive.
If Romney and Ryan are allowed to turn Medicare into a voucher system for Americans under 55 when they qualify for Medicare, 48-year-olds would have to pay $124,600 more for Medicare, 39-year-olds would have to pay $216,600 more during retirement, and 29-year-olds would have to pay $331,200 more in total. That’s because the vouchers would not keep up with rising health care costs. For those 29-year-olds, the extra costs would consume 62% of their lifetime Social Security benefits. And that’s as long as the Republicans don’t destroy Social Security altogether.
It’s up to you and who you vote for to preserve and continue to improve Medicare as Obama has done so far. It’s your choice… don’t forget it when you approach the voting booth.
- Paul Ryan plays fast and loose with facts (capitolhillblue.com)
- Report: Seniors to pay $60,000 more under Romney/Ryan Medicare plan (rawstory.com)
- Romney/Ryan Claim That No One Over 55 Will Be Affected by Their Medicare Plan is False (Surprise!) (pamshouseblend.firedoglake.com)
- Strickland blasts Romney, Ryan plans for Medicare, Social Security – Toledo Free Press (toledofreepress.com)
- How much more will Romney-Ryan Medicare cost you? > The Center for American Progress Action Fund has crunched the numbers. They’re not pretty. (newsreview.com)
- Surrogates Admit Romney Will Cut Medicare Benefits For Current Seniors (tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Medicare, Was Nice to Know Ya! (talkingpointsmemo.com)
- Americans Oppose Voucherizing Medicare But Don’t Know It Is Paul Ryan’s Plan (fdlaction.firedoglake.com)
- Even a Majority of Republicans Don’t Want Medicare Turned Into a Voucher Program (fdlaction.firedoglake.com)
- A Medicare switch you won’t believe (newsobserver.com)