That’s a blatant lie — the day Obama was inaugurated, there was a $1.3 trillion deficit Bush had left for him to clean up.
That’s blatantly untrue in an ironic sort of way. Romney’s tax plan calls for higher taxes on those at the lowest end of the income scale. He also intends to cut food stamps, Medicaid, and educational spending, which benefit those who have the least.
• Romney summarized his message to young people: “It’s so critical, in my view, for you to consider what’s in the best interest of not just yourself, but of America, over the coming century, and it is to stop the excessive overspending.”
• “The Obama administration has decided that it has the power to mandate what Catholic charities, schools, and hospitals must cover in their insurance plans…. Here we are, just getting started with Obamacare, and the federal government is already dictating to religious groups on matters of doctrine and conscience.”
Thanks to Steve Benen over at the Rachel Maddow Show who puts out Romney’s lie list every week. Mitt seems to think we don’t pay attention.
- Associated Press Calls Out Romney’s ‘Prairie Fire’ Speech Lies (commondreams.org)
- Mario Piperni and the Lying Liars (seniorsforademocraticsociety.wordpress.com)
- Willard Romney’s Lies of the Week (3chicspolitico.com)
- “Out Of Egypt, Into The Red Sea”: Romney’s Cowardly Speech On The Deficit (mykeystrokes.com)
- HOW MANY LIES CAN $25 MILLION BUY? **LOOKING@YOU, KARL ROVE** FACT CHECKING The Lies (3chicspolitico.com)
- Pants on Prairie Fire (slog.thestranger.com)
- SPIN METER: Rivals airbrush anti-Romney words (wtvm.com)
- The Caucus: In Iowa, Romney Decries ‘A Prairie Fire of Debt’ (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Poll: Obama up big in swing-state New Hampshire (thehill.com)