We’re waiting this morning for President Obama to come out and report any modifications to the birth control requirements in health insurance that has raised an alarm with Catholics.
Some background from the NY Times:
The ruling issued by the Department of Health and Human Services, said that only religious organizations that primarily employ and serve their co-religionists would be exempt from the requirement to provide insurance that covers birth control. Churches are therefore exempt, but Catholic hospitals, service agencies and colleges are not. The White House said that 28 states already had such mandates, so this federal rule, which is part of the health care overhaul, just applies the mandate uniformly.
The bishops have found allies among conservative evangelicals, who do not share the Catholic Church’s doctrinal prohibition on contraception but are delighted to see the bishops adopt the right’s longstanding grievance that government has declared a war on religion. They have been joined by the bishops of Eastern Orthodox churches (like Greek, Russian and Ukrainian) and two Orthodox Jewish groups — small constituencies but ones that lend the cause a touch of diversity.
On the other side are religious Americans and clergy members who are unmoved by the religious liberty theme, and who regard the administration’s ruling as sensible health care policy.
Here’s what I think. The Catholic Bishops are thrilled to have this conflict broadcast on all the news stations… thrilled that it is taking up so much space in C-PAC speeches… thrilled that it takes up space in newspapers (as Craig Ferguson said: “A newspaper is a thing that people used to read. It’s like a website, but all the information is from yesterday.”)… and certainly thrilled that they have something to shout out from the pulpit.
Why? Because as long as everyone is discussing this sham Constitutional complaint, no one is talking about the relationship of the Catholic Church to child molesting priests. That is quite a relief after months of revelations and and complaints about Bishops who hid information for years.
When the Birth Control/Insurance issue is all gone, we’ll get back to pederasty by priests. I’ll bet the Bishops are looking forward to that.
- Roman Catholic Church battle over birth control coverage was well planned (mercurynews.com)
- Bishops’ Hypocrisy on Religious Freedom and Contraception. (queeringthechurch.com)
- A lay parable for Catholic Bishops to consider: The Scorpion and the Frog (erickbrockway.com)
- Enough Of The Fake Outrage Over Contraception (angrydd.wordpress.com)
- Catholic Church silent on child rape, taking to the streets over ‘intrinsically evil’ birth control (dailykos.com)
… with Matt Smith, the number 11 Dr. Who. I don’t know why they cut this… perhaps because too many Americans, even after 30 years of Dr. Who showing up on Public Television don’t know this SciFi series.
In reality, the intro was axed at the last minute due to rights issues (what, the title tune music?), and Ferguson subsequently called on fans to start a public campaign to get the clip online by any means necessary. The campaign took shape on Twitter via the #leaktheclip hashtag, and now just a few weeks later, the intro has indeed found its way to the Internet….
There… wasn’t that fun?
- Leaked: Craig Ferguson’s Lost “Doctor Who” Open (mediaite.com)
- Craig Ferguson’s Amazing ‘Doctor Who’ Intro Arrives Online (Finally!) (splashpage.mtv.com)
- See Craig Ferguson’s Bizarre & Unaired Musical Opening For His DOCTOR WHO/Matt Smith Episode!! (aintitcool.com)
- See The Unaired DOCTOR WHO Segment From Craig Ferguson’s LATE LATE SHOW (geektyrant.com)
- All ‘Doctor Who’-Themed ‘The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson’ on Tuesday, November 16 (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- Craig Ferguson’s Doctor Who tribute (lifeasacynic.blogspot.com)
(picked up at All Hat, No Cattle)
“James Cameron, who directed ‘Avatar,’ is in a feud with Glenn Beck, because Cameron called him a mad man. The two are very different. One makes millions creating fictional stories, and the other is James Cameron.”
…it’s why I watch The Daily Show and Colbert at the late of the night (then I switch to Craig):