“I’m concerned when I watch a president cow-tow to the union bosses by putting in place those union stooges at the NLRB. I’ve taken on union bosses before. I’m happy to take ‘em on again.”
“The values at the core of the union movement – those don’t change. Those are the values that have made this country great. So when I hear some of these folks tryin’ to take collective bargaining rights away, trying to pass so called ‘right to work’ laws for private sector workers that really mean the right to work for less and less and less – when I hear some of this talk I know this is not about economics, this is about politics. I keep on hearin’ these same folks talk about values all the time. You want to talk about values? Hard work – that’s a value. Lookin’ out for one another, that’s a value. The idea that we’re all in it together and I’m my brother’s keeper and sister’s keeper, that’s a value!
On this May Day, let’s think which one of these candidates supports the American worker.
“Today’s union families ought to follow the example of those who came before us. Talk to your children about why some politicians want to use us as scapegoats. Tell them why attending a union meeting at night is important. Make sure they understand the importance of standing up for what’s right.
“Tell everyone from your children to your neighbors to your newspapers that privatization can be stopped and collective bargaining can be restored. Tell them why we must defeat politicians who want to hurt working families. Our union’s political strength — the Green Machine — has long overcome our adversaries and, working together, it will continue to be the force of change. We’ve proved our determination in the past, and we will do so time and again.”
OK… defeating politicians who want to hurt working families. That means defeating huge corporations and tax-eating billionaires. Are you ready? Can we do it?
Everybody say “Yeah!“
- AFSCME, SEIU going back to the table to talk to Gov. Tom Corbett’s labor negotiators (pennlive.com)
- State employee unions and Gov. Tom Corbett administration remain optimistic that labor agreements are within reach (pennlive.com)
- Pa. state workers union heads back to the bargaining table this morning (pennlive.com)
- Union leader makes strong argument against public sector collective bargaining (quinnscommentary.com)
- Wisconsin: Sen. Jauch Says 6 or 7 Republican Senators Don’t Want to Strip Collective Bargaining (news.firedoglake.com)
- E-mails: Wisconsin gov offers concessions on budget (cnn.com)
- E-mails: Wisconsin governor offers concessions on budget bill – CNN (news.google.com)
This, of course, is being sent out with a fundraising request from DFA:
Keep up the good work folks… Act Blue is collecting
their donations, I guess.
- “Wisconsin Republicans Preparing to Break With Union Busting Gov. Walker?” and related posts (guerillawomentn.blogspot.com)
- Rasmussen (yes, Rasmussen) finds Walker disapproval at 57% (dailykos.com)
- Conservative group warns about losing union fight in Wisconsin (thehill.com)
- Negotiations stall in Wisconsin over union bill (salon.com)
- Walker Losing Support from Senate Republicans in Wisconsin? (news.firedoglake.com)
- Scott Walker’s Union Busting Crushed In New Rasmussen Poll (oliverwillis.com)
- Scott Walker’s Approval Rating Now 43%: Winning the Battle and Losing the War? (themoderatevoice.com)
- “Another Conservative Pollster Finds Wisconsin Rejects Scott Walker” and related posts (faithfulprogressive.blogspot.com)
“I Am Wisconsin” – 92-year-old woman, former Wisconsin resident, at Pennsylvania support rally last weekend…
Marge Holicek joins 1000 Pennsylvanians in saying “I am Wisconsin!” Capitol steps, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania:
- Commentary: Gov. Tom Corbett might fight more for natural gas drillers than against unions (pennlive.com)
- Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education faculty members condemn Wisconsin’s Gov. Scott Walker’s tactics (pennlive.com)
- Rallies for Labor, in Wisconsin and Beyond (annlrd.wordpress.com)
- “Union Supporters Remain in Wisconsin Capitol” and related posts (afscmeblog.org)
- U.S. rallies decry Wisconsin efforts to weaken unions (ctv.ca)
- Chicagoans Show Solidarity For Workers in Wisconsin (chicagoist.com)
- Wisconsin Debate Spurs Albany Rally… And More… (dave-lucas.blogspot.com)
“This is not about the budget at all… this is about trying to destroy people’s right to collectively bargain. If you begin with a dishonest approach…and begin making threats…it’s a really an assault on Wisconsin‘s traditions. It’s really something a new governor shouldn’t be doing.”
“I call on him tonight to pull back, to drop this issue of collective bargaining and get back to budgeting“
- Russ Feingold explains the bait and switch of Scott Walker (iflizwerequeen.com)
- Russ Feingold Rallies Protesters In Wisconsin (huffingtonpost.com)
- The dirty secret about Wisconsin (salon.com)
- “Billionaire Koch Brothers Bankrolled Scott Walker’s Campaign: Out of State Big Money Agenda Guides Union Busting Efforts” and related posts (faithfulprogressive.blogspot.com)