Secretary of State under George W. Bush, Colin Powell, had retired Army Col. Lawrence Wilkerson as a Chief of Staff. Wilkerson made this comment in response to John Sununu‘s statement on Thursday that Powell’s endorsement of President Barack Obama’s re-election was motivated by race:
“My party is full of racists, and the real reason a considerable portion of my party wants President Obama out of the White House has nothing to do with the content of his character, nothing to do with his competence as commander-in-chief and president, and everything to do with the color of his skin, and that’s despicable.”
– Col. Lawrence Wilkerson
And there are people who want these guys elected… why? We worked so hard for decades to establish the civil rights of all Americans. It was a triumph to elect our first black president and Obama has made significant achievements in his first term, even though he faced Republicans in the Congress who publicly pledged to keep his agenda from being passed.
Voting for Republicans in this election endorses their racial views. Do you?
- Col. Lawrence Wilkerson says his party the Republican party is full of Racists (americanlivewire.com)
- Lawrence Wilkerson, Former Colin Powell Aide, Blasts Sununu, GOP As ‘Full Of Racists’ (democraticunderground.com)
- Col Lawrence Wilkerson On Republican Party: My Party Is Full Of Racists (ireport.cnn.com)
- Powell’s former chief of staff: I’m voting for Obama too (tv.msnbc.com)
- Video | Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson: “My Party Is Full Of Racist” (3chicspolitico.com)
- Romney campaign so desperate to change subject from Mourdock that they accuse Colin Powell of racism (dailykos.com)
- A Candid Republican Tells The Truth About Racism In His Party (duanegraham.wordpress.com)
- Sununu: Powell endorsed President Obama because of race (thehill.com)
- White Elephants (boyculture.com)
- Honesty – From the Mouth of a Conservative – Finally! (With Video Link) (euterpe-1641499.newsvine.com)
- “Colin Powell gets punked by the CIA” and related posts (bayareahouston.blogspot.com)
- Powell: CIA should answer on WMD (politico.com)
- Conscience catches up with Colin Powell (nowpublic.com)
- Colin Powell demands answers over ‘Curveball’ (telegraph.co.uk)
- Angry Colin Powell wants answers on Iraq WMD lies (capitolhillblue.com)
..and, of course, led us into a long stupid war with dead and wounded Americans and thousands of dead Iraqi citizens.
This snippet by an article from Empty Wheel:
- “Curveball” Says He Lied About WMDs To Topple Saddam (alan.com)
- Curveball ‘deserves permanent exile’ (guardian.co.uk)
- ‘Curveball’: I lied about WMD to hasten Iraq war (msnbc.msn.com)
- Iraqi Defector Admits He Lied About WMD in Lead Up to War (hotair.com)
- Iraqi defector ‘Curveball’ admits WMD lies (telegraph.co.uk)
- Iraqi Defector ‘Curveball’ Admits WMD Lies, Is Proud of Tricking U.S. (abcnews.go.com)
When asked what the military could do if brought in to manage the Gulf mess:
“What we would do in my time, we would assign it to one of our army commanders, a second army would go in on Hurricane Andrew and take charge of things. But whether that’s the right combination of assets now I’ll have to leave to others to decide.
First we have to figure out what do we need? Do we need people to clean the beaches or put out skimmers? We have lots of fishermen and others down there who are available who want the work and know the water a lot better than an army unit coming in, but whether it’s army, coast guard, local forces, it is time for a comprehensive total attack on this problem.”
-Colin Powell, former Secretary of State