It was a wonderful wedding, watching my son and his bride having the time of their lives, but a painful one for me. I spent most of my time looking for places to sit and keep my left side from interacting with the world… and I almost got away with it.
There was one accident, however: after taking wedding pictures of family and bridal party on the Oriental Theater’s stage, I missed a step coming back into the audience area and fell hard, re-injuring my cracked collar bone and shoulder blade. Several nice wedding party members helped me get back on my feet, but I returned to West Virginia more in pain than when I left. Believe me, the 18 hour train rides (switch in Chicago… if it weren’t for the redcap service I never would have been able to change trains… were incredibly unpleasant and I got no sleep on the overnight run.
One great thing about the wedding was I got to see my cousin, Bob Barsale, who, since he lives in Chicago, I have not seen much of in the past 25 years. Growing up, Bob was the closest thing I had to a brother and he (and his wife Suzie and daughter SueSue) mean a great deal to me. Since he occasionally reads me on Facebook, I send my best wishes out to him.
OK… now I have to get back onto my life, my string of Doctor’s appointments and more. I hope you all have a nice day. I home Buddy and Rachel are enjoying their mini-Honeymoon at Lake Geneva. I hope all the family and friends I saw got home OK.
- My Big Fat Unconventional Wedding (justhitchednowwhat.wordpress.com)
- Chicago Court Case Dogs Program could serve as model for Milwaukee (fox6now.com)
- Milwaukee packs weekend with events to celebrate armed forces (fox6now.com)
- Milwaukee Wants To Wipe Pittsburgh Off The Map (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- Style For Style: Stylish Solutions for Broken Bones (fabsugar.com)
The pain was so intense when this started that I was hoping I’d pass out and it would all be over. The pain rating has gone from a 10 to about a 2 now and I expect it will be another few months before the five ribs, shoulder blade and collar bone all heal up. This has been the worst two weeks of my life.
I have to say thank you for all the e-mail, Facebook comments and phonealls and text messages I’ve recieved from everyone… I certainly appreciate it. With any luck I’ll be able to travel to my son’s wedding in Wisconsin next week…as long as I stay pretty still on the train.
- Back on the blog…but this will be slow. (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
Saturday, in the early afternoon having returned home after my WSHC show, I had a seizure walking up the basement stairs from the laundry. The next time I knew anything, I was being rolled into an MRI at Jefferson County Hospital.
Everything else, to me, is blank.
It looks like I fell down the stairs, hit the concrete floor and slid over to a wall with a stack of paintings on it.
Fortunately, Elly was just returning home and heard the thud. When she found me she couldn’t wake me up so she called 911. They got me to Jefferson.
Any movement on my left side or moving my left arm meant excruciating pain. I screamed a lot. JCH then decided I needed specialty trauma care abd sent me down to Inova Fairfax in Virginia… a place if you were my worst enemy I would NOT send you.
I finally got out last night. Now comes six months of healing and pain reduction.
- how i know i’m getting chubby (fumblymusings.wordpress.com)
- The Need for Overlapping Interventions: Just One Won’t Do It (diseasemanagementcareblog.blogspot.com)
- Test Your MR Safety Knowledge with Falck Productions MRI Safety Week Quiz (prweb.com)
- Students test how strong a 4 tesla MRI magnet is (geek.com)
- Jockey suffers broken collar bone after spill at Churchill Downs (wave3.com)