Here I am in what must be the only near-progressive county in West Virginia. Oh, we voted for Governor Manchin to take the Senate seat (Manchin is many things, but Progressive is not one of them), and Delegate Doyle seems to have made it back. It looks like Democrat Paul Taylor and not Independent Dunleavy is the County Commissioner. (Update: newest results now in and Paul Taylor is not county commissioner, but Walt Pellish, the Republican, has taken a slight edge – BT) My town seems to have supported Virginia Graf for the house, but Shelly Moore Capito (R) was reelected by the rest of the constituency (which stretches irregularly accross the state).
As to the Federal elections and the state governor races. this was the Republicans‘ election. They swept the House, giving John Boehner a seat of power that I fully expect him to abuse. The cut down on the Democrat lead in the Senate, but at least Harry Reid got reelected in the face of a Tea Party Loony looking like she might take his seat. We’re still waiting to see if Patty Murray takes Washington state. That would help keep the Democratic Senate in a working majority situation.
The thing I am most thankful for is that Christine O’Donnell lost by a large margin in Delaware. While she may not be a witch, she is definitely not an intelligent politician and would have made our lives even harder to get through.
Now I want to see how the Republicans are going to both cut taxes and reduce expenditures at the same time. Whenever winning Reps like Rand Paul were asked how they would do it, they sort of smiled and gave us a “you’ll see.” Even Eric Cantor (R – VA), now in a new seat of power couldn’t come up with an answer to the how-will-they-do-it question. I expect a lot of head-on crashes between House and Senate, Congress and Obama, and the people against the government. It’s not going to be pretty.
- West Virginia Democrat Joe Manchin Will Fill Sen. Byrd’s Seat (politicsdaily.com)
- Tea party hero Rand Paul wins Senate seat in Ky. (thenewstribune.com)
- Republicans capture House, gain in Senate (reuters.com)
- Republicans aim to deliver stinging blow to Obama (thestar.com)
- Democrat Manchin wins West Virginia Senate seat, NBC projects (reuters.com)
- Teamsters Applaud Manchin Victory in West Virginia (prnewswire.com)
- Manchin wins Byrd’s old seat in W. Virginia (marketwatch.com)
The Top Three TeaBaggers (those who are getting the most press coverage… primarily because of their utter outrageousness as they campaign) are in the following three videos. If you are in their voting districts and this doesn’t make you realize what schmucks they are, then I have no more hope for intelligent politics.
– and –
– and –
Joe Miller’s Security Firm “Drop Zone”:
I could have put in a Rand Paul video, but I’ll give you a neat cartoon by Joel Pett instead:
This isn’t an election as much as it is a draining of intelligence from the population.
- PA-Sen: Armey: Toomey’s 2004 bid gave birth to tea party (dailykos.com)
- Tea Party candidates getting massive cash infusion from small donors (hotair.com)
- A Wild and Crazy Sprint to Election Day (thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Michael Bennet Campaign Pitch: Ken Buck Is Sharron Angle’s ‘Soul Mate’ (politicsdaily.com)
At 2 weeks until the election on November 2nd we are entering into the time of filthy tactics… and, as it seems, the filthiest of the tacticians are Republicans disguised as Tea Party people or Republicans hidden by Supreme Court supported corporate anonymity.
In Nevada we have a right-wing Hispanic “front” group running commercials to persuade Latinos not to vote as a method of telling politicians that they won’t be used anymore… an obvious play to withhold votes for Harry Reid and get Sharron Angle, the Tea Party lunatic, into office. As of this past afternoon, Univision, the great Hispanic television network has refused to run these ads… and Lawrence O’Donnell on MSNBC pinned Mr, Posado, the creator of the ads, to the wall…exposing him as a Republican front.
The Delaware debate yesterday morning had Christine O’Donnell revealing how little she knew about the Constitution when she made it clear she knew nothing about the separation of Church and State in the First Amendment, something Chris Coons explained for her. And she kept coming back with the same comment. Listening to people laugh at her, the facial expression she gave out was indicative that she thought she had smashed Coons. This is a brainless woman… scary to think of her in office.
Sarah Palin is Tea Party Busing around the country making more comments revealing her lack of knowledge of who is running where confusing West Virginia candidates with Pennsylvania candidates.
I think Saturday Night Live is wonderful… once a week. It’s when real life becomes SNL 24 hours a day that I wish it all would go away. Yet my big fear is that after the election we will be living in an unrecognizeable country run by Glenn Beck and spending most of its time trying to repeal the 14th Amendment.
- Univision Rejects Ad Telling Latinos Not to Vote (littlegreenfootballs.com)
- Sharron Angle to Hispanic students: ‘You look Asian to me’ (capitolhillblue.com)
- Hispanics defy ad to shun elections (washingtontimes.com)
- GOP Vote Suppression Plot Vs. Latinos In Nevada Is Thwarted (oliverwillis.com)
- Univision Refuses to Air Ad Urging Hispanics Not to Vote (politicsdaily.com)
- Sleaze: GOP Operative’s Deceptive TV Ad Implores NV Latinos ‘Don’t Vote!’ (bradblog.com)
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR | Rossi Has Close Ties to BIAW (kitsapsun.com)
- Cahill Alleges Dirty Tricks in Lawsuit (politicalwire.com)
“I’ve got Sean Hannity in my back pocket, and I can go on his show and raise money by attacking you guys.”
On Hannity’s popular afternoon drive-time show, the Tea Party-inspired Senate contender acidly criticized the party, specifically the National Republican Senatorial Committee, for not funneling any serious cash (beyond a pro forma $43,000) into her race against Democrat Chris Coons.
- Christine O’Donnell Warns Republican Bigwigs “I’ve got Sean Hannity in my back pocket” (themoderatevoice.com)
- Did Christine O’Donnell lie to Hannity? (crooksandliars.com)
- Christine O’Donnell On Hannity: “Not Going To Do Any More National Media” (mediaite.com)
- Christine O’Donnell Slams NRSC’s Lack Of Support After Her Debate With Coons (mediaite.com)
“Republican Senator Tom Coburn said yesterday that Christine O’Donnell, if elected, will be able to combat the stupidity in Washington. So I guess they’re going to fight fire with fire.”
Guess why in her religion quest she turned down Hari Krishnas.
- New Bill Maher-Christine O’Donnell Video: “Dabbling Into Every Other Kind Of Religion” (mediaite.com)
- Christine O’Donnell: I Would Have Become a Hare Krishna but I’m Italian and Love Meatballs (crooksandliars.com)
- Clip: Meat made O’Donnell avoid being Hare Krishna (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
MAHER: Evolution is a myth? Have you ever looked at a monkey?
O’DONNELL: Well then, why they — why aren’t monkeys still evolving into humans?
- Christine O’Donnell: ‘Evolution Is A Myth. Why Aren’t Monkeys Still Evolving Into Humans?’ (VIDEO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Christine O’Donnell asks: ‘Why aren’t monkeys still evolving into humans?’ (americablog.com)
- Watch: Christine O’Donnell Debunks Evolution (towleroad.com)
This clip from Talking Points Memo:
- Karl Rove Says Christine O’Donnell Needs to Explain Witchcraft ‘Dabbling’ to Voters (politicsdaily.com)
- Karl Rove: Christine O’Donnell Needs To Explain Her ‘Witchcraft’ Remarks (mediaite.com)
- Christine O’Donnell Was A Witch! (perezhilton.com)
From Bob’s Awesome Blog:
I love these guys. Their views are so…uninformed! But funny.
- Christine O’Donnell’s Animated Tea Party Insurgency [Video] (gawker.com)
- Meet Tea Party Queen Christine O’Donnell’s Lesbian Sister [Field Guide] (gawker.com)
I am in a state of utter shock. After the Delaware Republican Primary went for Christine O’Donnell and the Rasmussen Poll came out to show how far ahead Chris Coons would be (if the election were held today), a lot of us were feeling good about the possibility of a more limited Republican growth spurt in Congress.
Then Harry Reid made a stupid statement.
“I’m going to be very honest with you — Chris Coons, everybody knows him in the Democratic caucus. He’s my pet. He’s my favorite candidate.”
That was bad enough. But Harry also said:
“Let me tell you about him: A graduate of Yale Divinity School. Yale Law School. A two-time national debate champion. He represents two-thirds of the state now, in an elected capacity. I don’t know if you’ve ever seen him or heard him speak, but he is a dynamic speaker. I don’t mean loud or long; he’s a communicator. So that’s how I feel about Delaware. I’ve always thought Chris Coons is going to win. I told him that and I tried to get him to run. I’m glad he’s running. I just think the world of him. He’s my pet.”
Of course this gives O’Donnell the chance to advertise with “Christine O’Donnell — NOT Harry Reid’s pet,” or so says Meredith Jessup in THE BLAZE.
I’m wondering what Harry is going to do to remedy this one.
O’Donnell has achieved what no one thought would happen a couple of weeks ago… a chance for a Democrat to hold onto the Senate seat once held by Joe Biden.
Here’s a clip:
- Delaware Senate: Coons 53% O’Donnell 42% (outsidethebeltway.com)
- The first post-primary poll in Delaware (redstate.com)
- Color It Blue? (talkingpointsmemo.com)
“If he already knows what pleases him and he can please himself, then why am I in the picture?”
“[P]ublic records show O’Donnell has no steady income, no savings, no investments and owns no property. She rents a room out of her campaign office, which is a town home in a residential community.”
Shortly after dropping a gender-discrimination suit against her former employer, a conservative printing firm that fired her for misusing company resources, she began her Senate run. She is also facing an IRS lien for $11,000 in unpaid taxes.
Take a look at the NY Magazine article that I’m printing the opening paragraph of and you’ll see what I mean (just her notion of what “carbon dating” means is pretty outrageous.) Delaware has always appeared to be a small but advanced State, well ensconced in the 21st Century… now it has an opportunity to go in reverse direction.
clipped from: nymag.com
GOP’s Delaware Senate Nominee Christine O’Donnell Not a Big Fan of EvolutionChristine O’Donnell won’t have to lie about this Senate race. She won the Republican nomination for the Senate in Delaware fair and square, against a much more experienced, much more moderate, much more respected opponent, nine-term congressman and former governor Mike Castle. Now that she’s the nominee, the Republican Party will likely abandon the woman the chairman of the Delaware GOP recently said “could not be elected dog catcher.” Perhaps, in addition to all the things that have already come out about O’Donnell — tax questions, misuse of campaign funds, a trail of lies, some interesting thoughts on masturbation — they know how much remains left uncovered. Such as that, on March 30 of 1996, in her role as the spokeswoman for the Concerned Women of America, O’Donnell debated the merits of evolution on CNN, and she was not a fan.
Read the rest HERE.
- Victorious Christine O’Donnell Feuds with Sore Loser Karl Rove [Primaries] (gawker.com)
- Christine O’Donnell Wins Delaware Primary Election (nowpublic.com)
- BRYAN PRESTON OFFERS Some Friendly, Unsolicited Advice for the Delaware GOP. “Christine O’Donnell’s… (pajamasmedia.com)
- Masturbation-Hater Christine O’Donnell Wins Senate Primary [Primary Colors] (jezebel.com)