This is a followup to the Penn Jillette commentary I posted last week commenting on the problems with Obama‘s marijuana policy. This piece is from Online Paralegal Programs and has relevant statistical information:
So… this would save us public funds, help the economy, keep medical needs filled and would allow us to grow hemp for fabrics and other products, as this country used to do.
- ‘It’s Not A God Damn Joke!’: Penn Jillette Destroys ‘Beyond Hypocritical’ Obama Over Marijuana Laws (mediaite.com)
- Penn Jillette: Obama is a Hypocrite on Marijuana. Let the People Go! (bigthink.com)
- Marijuana Is Not A Joke (andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com)
- Jillette: If Obama Were Arrested Under His Laws, He’d Be In Prison (huffingtonpost.com)
Take a look:
Penn, of course, is NOT a drug user and I admire his position (I also like his glasses, which are Superfocus like mine).
Peter Hecht | Sacramento Bee
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has signed legislation that will reduce the crime of possession of an ounce of marijuana from a misdemeanor to an infraction, handing a victory to marijuana advocates one month before November’s state vote to legalize pot for recreational use.
The governor’s signature of Senate Bill 1449 by Sen. Mark Leno, D-San Francisco, will not reduce actual penalties for possession of small amounts of marijuana. Under California law, misdemeanor possession of less than an ounce was already punishable as infraction – with offenders facing fines of $100.
Marijuana advocates say the governor’s decision to sign the bill will significantly reduce the number of cases clogging California courts by removing the misdemeanor tag.
The law will take effect Jan. 1, meaning it may be superseded – at least for Californians over 21 – by the November legalization measure.
Schwarzenegger said he signed Leno’s bill because “possession of less than an ounce of marijuana is infraction in everything but name.”
- Maijuana Possession In California Reduced To Infraction (huffingtonpost.com)
- California Decriminalizes Minor Marijuana Possession: SB 1449 (nowpublic.com)
From Boing Boing:
Mark Frauenfelder at 10:16 AM Tue
“Unless the beer distributors in California have suddenly developed a philosophical opposition to the use of intoxicating substances, the motivation behind this contribution is clear,” Steve Fox, director of government relations for the Marijuana Policy Project, said in statement. “Plain and simple, the alcohol industry is trying to kill the competition. Their mission is to drive people to drink.”
Interestingly, some beer makers are telling their distributors that they want no part of this nonsense.
- CALIFORNIA: Beer Sellers Oppose Marijuana Legalization Bill (joemygod.blogspot.com)
- Booze vs Bud (andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com)
- SEIU Prop 19 Support: Marijuana Ballot Measure In California Wins Support Of Union, Officials Say (huffingtonpost.com)
Here’s part of the article in OpEdNews today… go in and read the whole thing before you make your own decision:
- Tom Hayden: Marijuana Initiative Challenges Costly, Bloody Drug War (huffingtonpost.com)
- The Decriminalization of Marijuana (socyberty.com)
- You: Calif. to vote on legalizing marijuana (washingtonpost.com)
- California’s Prop. 19. Aye, of course (dailykos.com)