“Ronald Reagan would have, based on his record of finding accommodation, finding some degree of common ground, as would my dad – they would have a hard time if you define the Republican party – and I don’t – as having an orthodoxy that doesn’t allow for disagreement, doesn’t allow for finding some common ground.
“Back to my dad’s time and Ronald Reagan’s time – they go a lot of stuff done with a lot of bipartisan support.”
– Gov. Jeb Bush (R)
This didn’t make Grover Norquist (no elected office – R) very happy:
“That’s foolish, it’s sup-it’s bizarre.
There’s a guy (Jeb) who watched his father throw away his presidency on a 2:1 [ratio of
spending cuts to tax increases] promise. And he thinks he’s sophisticated by saying that he’d take a 10:1 promise. He doesn’t understand – he’s just agreed to walk down the same alley his dad did with the same gang. And he thinks he’s smart. You walk down that alley, you don’t come out. You certainly don’t come out with 2:1 or 10:1.”
– Grover Norquist, Enemy of Americans (R)
As you know, Norquist crafted a pledge to never increase taxes for any reason that current-day Republicans sign or else have trouble getting support from national Republicans.
The Bush comments are part of a small, but growing schism of Republicans who are starting to break with Norquist’s hard-line orthodoxy on taxes. Whether more Republicans start to break, or Norquist’s anti-tax increase orthodoxy continues to rule the Republican Party is yet to be determined.
– CBS News
So, if you are wondering why we don’t get anywhere on Jobs, or battling this depression (see Krugman‘s new book “End This Depression Now”), or getting some kind of focus on improving our overall economy, you need wonder no more. Between McConnell and Boehner‘s refusal to to compromise on anything with Obama and the Democrats, and the insistence of Republicans that they are waiting until after the election, assuming any cooperation now is working against Mitt, I don’t expect anything will happen any time soon.
- Struggle for the Republican Party’s Soul: Jeb Bush Versus Grover Norquist? (themoderatevoice.com)
- Jeb Bush: Reagan ‘would have a hard time’ in today’s GOP (thehill.com)
- Norquist Lashes Back At Jeb Bush On Reagan, Taxes (tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com)
- TRENDING: Jeb Bush: Reagan wouldn’t fit in today’s GOP (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Norquist upset with Jeb Bush for saying Reagan too moderate for today’s GOP (americablog.com)
- Jeb Bush Unsure Reagan Could Win Republican Nomination Today (miami.cbslocal.com)
- Jeb vs. Grover: Battle for GOP’s soul (cnn.com)
You want to end this thing? Send every proponent who thought or thinks this American Military/Political/Business crusade justifiable; every Congress person who voted for this travesty along with their entire family; every Right Wingunt; every Pseudo-patriotic NASCAR sucking holier-than-thou Evangelical Right Wingunt Mother’s son and daughter; every Ted Nugent–Victoria Jackson–Patricia Heaton–Kelsey Grammer–Megyn Kelly-Money grubbing Rush Hudson Limbaugh-Bill O’Reilly-Glen Beck cocksucking bird brained “Let’s you and him fight, but not me” advocate; every unemployed Joe the Plumber who salutes the flag but hates anything non white; every media owner, media personality and political hack; every pajama-clad envelope stuffing/bake sale College Republican Chickenhawk; every money-loving bishop, priest, pastor, reverend who intentionally misinterpret and mouth beliefs different from a true Xtian gawd’s will (and any of their following sheep who thinks their religious leaders saints); every Fatherland Security Employee; every CEO, investor and banker’s child…send them all over there right now with the same equipment and unprepared training assholes like Rumsfeld, Powell, Bush etc. and now Obama thought and still think was and is acceptable…send them all over there – to Democratize and Americanize those heathens; to convert those infidels to American Business Dogma; to allow Americans their inalienable ability to suck all the oil they can suck; to make America safe for rapists, thieves and especially for increased business profits. While we’re at it send their aged, infirmed and invalid, handicapped or otherwise physically and/or mentally challenged parents as well.I’d give it two days! They’ll all be home!
- Was it the Force of George Bush’s Ego that Led to NATION BUILDING in AFGHANISTAN? (goodolewoody.wordpress.com)
- Afghanistan’s Haditha: An Atrocity to End the War (alhittin.com)
- Fury Grows Over Afghan Killings (atwar.blogs.nytimes.com)
- Afghanistan: ‘Several drunk troops behind bloodbath, laughed on shooting-spree, burned corpses’ (redantliberationarmy.wordpress.com)
- Taliban Promise Revenge for Civilian Murders in Afghanistan (wrc559.com)
- Hundreds protest in Afghanistan over shooting of civilians (cnn.com)
She starts out her posts with the things that make me push ahead… Like this one she did today… I’ll give you the start, but go in and get the rest: