I woke up this morning to the news I should have heard last night (I went to bed early) – Osama Bin Laden has been killed in a U.S. strike ordered by Barack Obama and based on US Intelligence. This was actually done on April 29th in an action that was kept in tight secrecy. It is notable that not even the Pakistanis were informed that this was going to happen (in the past, every time they were informed of such an action, Bin Laden curiously escaped just in time to save himself.)
From early reports, Bin Laden was shot in the head by a Navy Seal and, reportedly, he was hiding behind a woman at the time. The attack was made by four helicopters and a small team. No Americans were harmed. The US took custody of Bin Laden’s body after the attack and then followed Islamic law by having him buried at sea so that no tomb could be made on land… since Bin Laden was not a sailor, but the burial at sea was a traditional burial of an enemy.
This attack plan began in June of 2009 when Obama ordered CIA director Leon Panetta to have as his primary goal locating Bin Laden. The plan was kept in complete secrecy – even from members of Congress – and no information was leaked before its occurence.
My wife’s comment this morning was “This will get Obama reelected.”
- White House: Osama Bin Laden is Dead (benzinga.com)
- Osama Bin Laden killed in Pakistan (pakistanic.com)
- US kills Osama bin Laden (prolificmovementblog.com)
- Morning Read: Osama Bin Laden (observer.com)
- Osama bin Laden killed by U.S. Navy Seals – No American Fatalities (devil67712.wordpress.com)
- Food for conspiracy theories – Osama bin Laden “buried” at sea (ktwop.wordpress.com)
- Al Qaeda Leader Osama Bin Laden Killed (news.sky.com)
- CNN: Osama bin Laden killed, U.S. has body (nj.com)
- Osama Bin Laden Dead, Body In US Custody, Obama Makes Statement, Interrupts Sunday Night TV (wtpotus.wordpress.com)
- Bin Laden compound on fire (wdsi.wordpress.com)
- Osama Bin Laden death Photo (pakistanic.com)