… and now they want to see to it that Catherine Greig, 61 year old girlfriend to the 82 year old Bulger, is sentenced to 10 years for harboring a fugitive and a number of other charges. Although the charges Greig faces could result in a maximum of 15 years in prison, prosecutors have said she could get as little as 32 months. The prosecution recommended a longer prison term and asked that Greig pay a $150,000 fine.
Bulger, who gained his reputation as head of Boston’s Winter Hill Gang, was captured last year and has yet to be brought to Federal Court. He had covered his tracks during his career by working as an FBI informant, but used the information he gained in that role to commit a number of murders of his competitors in the crime world. He fled in late 1994 when an FBI agent told him he was about to be indicted.
According to prosecutors, Bulger and Greig spent the first year on the run posing as a married couple, traveling to Chicago, New York and Louisiana. They settled in Santa Monica, where they lived in a rent-controlled apartment not far from the Pacific Ocean. Behind a secret wall in the two-bedroom apartment, Bulger stashed 30 weapons and more than $820,000 in cash.
- ‘Whitey’ Bulger’s girlfriend, Catherine Greig, faces 10 years prison (abclocal.go.com)
- Victim’s kin: Lock up Greig for decade (bostonherald.com)
- US seeks decade sentence for Mass. mobster’s lover (newsobserver.com)
- ‘Whitey’ Bulger’s Girlfriend Set to Plead (abcnews.go.com)
- Ex-mob boss Howie Winter arrested (bostonherald.com)